Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 05-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #4906
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Why not do a Google search to find an answer to your question...if there is one? If not, THEN ask.
https://twitter.com/niro60487270/sta...34068722323456

In addition:

Zinc-hydroxychloroquine found effective in some COVID-19 patients: study
From your link.

“ But he cautioned that a controlled experiment would be needed to prove the benefits beyond doubt.”

Was not controlled. Lol worthless study.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #4907
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post

Was not controlled. Lol worthless study.

Allan
That's brilliant Allan.
Give the control group a placebo instead of treatment and see if more die.
Just brilliant.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #4908
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
That's brilliant Allan.
Give the control group a placebo instead of treatment and see if more die.
Just brilliant.
That’s how studies are done by true scientists not hacks like this one who do uncontrolled experiments that are eaten up by people such as yourself.

How do you think vaccines trials work?

By giving them all vaccines.

Nope some get the placebo and no one knows who is getting it.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #4909
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
That’s how studies are done by true scientists not hacks like this one who do uncontrolled experiments that are eaten up by people such as yourself.

How do you think vaccines trials work?

By giving them all vaccines.

Nope some get the placebo and no one knows who is getting it.

Allan
There already is a large enough population of people who've died without treatment. Their deaths can serve as a "control group."
Giving placebos at this stage is inhumane, immoral, and heartless.
If that is what you are advocating, you are saying "Pure Science Methodology" is more important than people.
Thankfully, my mind cannot think that way at all.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #4910
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Los Angeles county's stay at home order will be extended for the next three months, according to LA Times.

Wow.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2020, 03:26 PM   #4911
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Los Angeles county's stay at home order will be extended for the next three months, according to LA Times.

Wow.
Bye, bye Santa Anita, permanently.....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #4912
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post

Wow.
I wonder how anyone can justify this.

Back in early April, after they had been locked down for weeks, an antibody study revealed there were between 200,000 - 400,000 adults who had been infected with COVID-19 in LA County. At the time of this study, the official count was 8,000 infections in LA County.

THE LOCKDOWN DIDN'T WORK. As proven by the antibody study:

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/phc....cfm?prid=2328

And now they're going to keep it going for another two months?

Pure insanity.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #4913
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I wonder how anyone can justify this.

Back in early April, after they had been locked down for weeks, an antibody study revealed there were between 200,000 - 400,000 adults who had been infected with COVID-19 in LA County. At the time of this study, the official count was 8,000 infections in LA County.

THE LOCKDOWN DIDN'T WORK. As proven by the antibody study:

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/phc....cfm?prid=2328

And now they're going to keep it going for another two months?

Pure insanity.

this is a direct quote from the article you just linked:

"These results indicate that many persons may have been unknowingly infected and at risk of transmitting the virus to others," said Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the L.A. County Department of Public Health. "These findings underscore the importance of expanded polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing to diagnose those with infection so they can be isolated and quarantined, while also maintaining the broad social distancing interventions."

I read the entire article. I didn't see a single thing in the article implying that the lockdown didn't work.

there is also this in the article:

"USC and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) today released preliminary results from a collaborative scientific study that suggests infections from the new coronavirus are far more widespread - and the fatality rate much lower - in L.A. County than previously thought."

the way I read that is that the fatality rate is lower because a great many more than thought have been infected

if it was thought for that the fatality rate was 2% for example but then it is learned that the fatality rate is only .5% nothing is really gained if the reason for the difference is that 4 times as many people have been infected

if you are saying that because more people have been infected that had been thought that that means that the lockdown didn't work I don't believe that is logical

it's also possible that if the lockdown had not been in effect 4 times as many would have been infected

there is absolutely nothing in the article to prove or suggest otherwise

Last edited by Half Smoke; 05-12-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2020, 04:42 PM   #4914
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The lockdowns in MARCH in LA COUNTY (one of the first areas of the country to LOCK DOWN, by the way) were DESIGNED TO STOP THE SPREAD OF THE VIRUS.

If the virus SPREAD WITHIN THE COUNTY ANYWAY, at rates FAR BEYOND the officially reported numbers, then by definition, the LOCKDOWNS were unsuccessful at stopping the spread of the virus.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-12-2020 at 04:43 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #4915
Half Smoke

Quote:
The lockdowns in MARCH in LA COUNTY (one of the first areas of the country to LOCK DOWN, by the way) were DESIGNED TO STOP THE SPREAD OF THE VIRUS.

If the virus SPREAD WITHIN THE COUNTY ANYWAY, at rates FAR BEYOND the officially reported numbers, then by definition, the LOCKDOWNS were unsuccessful at stopping the spread of the virus.

once again, you don't know that without the lockdowns that there would not have been a great many more infections

you are the one saying this

it is not stated in the article

the article suggests that the proper approach is to isolate and quarantine as you say, 200 to 400,000 people

this article does not in any way to me seem to suggest that the proper way forward is to soften restrictions

Old 05-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #4916
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
once again, you don't know that without the lockdowns that there would not have been a great many more infections

the article suggests that the proper approach is to isolate and quarantine as you say, 200 to 400,000 people

this article does not in any way to me seem to suggest that the proper way forward is to soften restrictions.
Ahhh…..The old "catch-22" BS narrative excuse....Tables are turned, MSM better watch they say...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #4917
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

this article does not in any way to me seem to suggest that the proper way forward is to soften restrictions

Who said the article is stating such a thing? I never claimed it was...

This is MY logical conclusion to the study.

If the study turns out to be flawed, then we can revisit.

If you lockdown in MARCH, and then a month later you do a study which shows somewhere between 28-55x more people are infected then your official numbers at the time are saying...well then....there's a problem somewhere.

Maybe they didn't lockdown hard enough?

But I get it...you're saying everyone would have been infected if they didn't lock down as hard as they did.

So a place like Sweden should basically have a 100% infection rate at this point.

Let's see...Sweden has 27,272 confirmed cases on the Johns Hopkins website at this very moment...and a population of 10.23M at last count...

That works out to .26% of the population.

And it's widely noted that Sweden had the least severe restrictions in place for COVID-19 (which they have been roundly criticized for as of late).

If we apply the 28-55x antibody study from LA to the Swedes, we get around a 14% max population infection rate...

It's interesting that you completely discount other reasons for all of the above. Like, perhaps, COVID-19 isn't as infectious as they think/say it is...I know...that's heresy...my bad.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 05-12-2020 at 05:01 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #4918
Half Smoke

Quote:
Who said the article is stating such a thing? I never claimed it was...

This is MY logical conclusion to the study.

But I get it...you're saying everyone would have been infected if they didn't lock down as hard as they did.

if your conclusion was so very logical and if you believe the study was so very worthwhile then it would seem obvious that the authors of the study would have come to the same conclusion and would have explicitly stated it

since they did not explicitly state this I have to assume that they did not come to this conclusion

also, I did not state or imply that everyone would be infected

you are putting words in my mouth

the population of Los Angeles County is 10 million
Old 05-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #4919
Greyfox

Quote:
once again, you don't know that without the lockdowns that there would not have been a great many more infection

Nor do you know that there wouldn't have been less.
It turns out that some studies are showing more infections among those who sheltered in place.

The value of lockdowns is very questionable. The fact that they destroyed the economy and put millions globally at risk with the broken food chain has to be entered into any equation.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:16 AM   #4920
Stevecsd2

HCAP mentioned Bill Maher in one of his posts. I don't usually agree with Maher, but I definitely do on this one.

Bill Maher on 100 million microbes
https://www.facebook.com/Maher/videos/2645287895711290/
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply