Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Which horse will be the 2019 American Champion Three-Year-Old Male Horse?
Mr. Money 11 11.46%
Maximum Security 38 39.58%
War of Will 4 4.17%
Code Of Honor 31 32.29%
Tacitus 3 3.13%
Sir Winston 0 0%
Other 9 9.38%
Voters: 96. This poll is closed

Old 09-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #31
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I certainly think a 3 year old who won the BCC would get some votes, but my guess is unless Code of Honor or War of Will wins the BCC, Maximum Security would still be 3 year old of the year.
In the past 20 years, seven three-year-old males have won the BCC of which three did not win the 3-yr-old-male Eclipse award. But the chances that it will happen this year are very unlikely, maybe 100-1, at best.

2014— California Chrome over Arrogate
2008 — Big Brown over Raven’s Pass
1999 — Charismatic over Cat Thief

Both Charismatic and California Chrome won two-thirds of the triple crown — no one in this crop has done that. Raven’s Pass only ran one race in North America that year which should have completely rule him out since the Eclipse award is a North American award (incredibly enough he was a finalist for the award) .
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #32
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
In the past 20 years, seven three-year-old males have won the BCC of which three did not win the 3-yr-old-male Eclipse award. But the chances that it will happen this year are very unlikely, maybe 100-1, at best.

Both Charismatic and California Chrome won two-thirds of the triple crown — no one in this crop has done that. Raven’s Pass only ran one race in North America that year which should have completely rule him out since the Eclipse award is a North American award (incredibly enough he was a finalist for the award) .
Arrogate (foaled April 11, 2013)
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #33
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Arrogate (foaled April 11, 2013)
I meant Bayern.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #34
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Well, looks like Maximum Security and Game Winner (not that he had a shot at this point) are off the table.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

So all three lost to another 3yo that won 2/3 of the Triple Crown. That horse doesn't exist this year.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #36
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

The connections are saying that MS only needs a short rest and he’ll be back on the track, but he’s had some other health problems in the past few months, so, if I were a betting man, I’d say he’s done for the year. Or if he does run, won’t be the same.

With MS sidelined, looks like Code of Honor(COH) is the current leader in the clubhouse . The COH connections are kicking themselves now. Why go against older horses when you could have had a much easier time in the PA derby, with MS now gone.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #37
clicknow

Quote:
The COH connections are kicking themselves now. Why go against older horses when you could have had a much easier time in the PA derby, with MS now gone.
McGaughey is going same path with CoH as he did with Orb. Travers, then JCGC. Obviously he likes that campaign, so I doubt he is kicking himself. Code of Honor has already run 1st and 2nd at Belmont track.

Why run at Parx not knowing how a horse is going to take to that track anyway.

The PA Derby excitement was basically supposed to be a showdown between War of Will and Max Security (remembering how West had once put up $5mill for a match race between them). Now, that won't happen.

CoH has already beaten Improbable and War of Will. And Game Winner isn't running in the PA Derby, though CoH has already beaten him as well.

yeah, I'm a fan. CoH was one of my top derby horses during prep season, his breeding was all class. We actually had somewhat of a fan club going for him on another forum I'm on for the Derby.

Last edited by clicknow; 09-19-2019 at 10:31 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #38
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
McGaughey is going same path with CoH as he did with Orb. Travers, then JCGC. Obviously he likes that campaign, so I doubt he is kicking himself. Code of Honor has already run 1st and 2nd at Belmont track.

Why run at Parx not knowing how a horse is going to take to that track anyway.

The PA Derby excitement was basically supposed to be a showdown between War of Will and Max Security (remembering how West had once put up $5mill for a match race between them). Now, that won't happen.

CoH has already beaten Improbable and War of Will. And Game Winner isn't running in the PA Derby, though CoH has already beaten him as well.

yeah, I'm a fan. CoH was one of my top derby horses during prep season, his breeding was all class. We actually had somewhat of a fan club going for him on another forum I'm on for the Derby.
Orb finished last in the JCGC. And never made it to the BCC.

The PA derby is an easier race to win, with a higher purse.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #39
clicknow

Quote:
Orb finished last in the JCGC. And never made it to the BCC.
I doubt Shug thinks CoH shouldn't run the JCGC because Orb didn't win when he ran it. Orb never won at Belmont.......CoH has a 1st and a 2nd there.

Quote:
The PA derby is an easier race to win, with a higher purse.
Well the race hasn't run yet so we don't know that. I don't play Parx but have heard it's kinda a weird track?

But maybe picking the "easier race to win" is not necessarily what the trainer wants for his horse ..... who is up for HOY.

(Of course, if CoH picked the "easier race" and then won HOY there would be people saying "he picked the easier race and beat nobody!").

So thanks for pointing out that he's not opting for the "easier race". If he does well going forward then it will be harder to take anything away from him.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #40
GMB@BP

I been saying this is a really poor crop of three year olds but others have said its solid, what am I missing?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #41
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I been saying this is a really poor crop of three year olds but others have said its solid, what am I missing?
Nothing
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #42
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
When they keep taking turns beating each other that's usually a sign they aren't very good. When mediocre bombs start taking turns, they can't be very good.

A few them could still break out, but I don't think anyone in yesterday's race is anything special.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #43
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
When they keep taking turns beating each other that's usually a sign they aren't very good. When mediocre bombs start taking turns, they can't be very good.

A few them could still break out, but I don't think anyone in yesterday's race is anything special.
To me the figures and the visual have matched up as fairly weak group.

The only horse in the spring I thought was maybe a cut above was Omaha Beach and clearly he is not going to be the same since they are now rerouting him to a sprint before yet another premature retirement.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #44
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Guerreron for 3YO champ!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot3711.jpg (10.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #45
burnsy
self medicated

I don’t think the division is a total loss. If these horses can stay healthy, that is. Max Security has lost one race and Code is on a run. Clearly, the strongest pair right now. Improbable still has issues, that hasn’t changed since spring. He’s a bonafide head case.

The other thing is that was an awful race yesterday. Close to a 50 half and the top two can’t hold on vs a 30-1! WOW appeared to be fighting the rider from the start. Which makes one wonder if the riders are partly to blame in this race . Did they over do it and choke those two into submission? No one wants the lead ? Kind of a very weird race. You got people voting for Mr. Money, Tacitus and WOW........ wow! Lol

Last edited by burnsy; 09-22-2019 at 01:55 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply