Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 08-11-2023, 05:27 AM   #1
Half Smoke

Mickelson lost $100 million betting sports

in his new book Billy Walters claims that golf legend Phil Mickelson wagered over $1 billion on sports

and sustained losses of about $100 million______________WOW______!!!!!

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/10/golf...r-decades.html

Last edited by Half Smoke; 08-11-2023 at 05:31 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2023, 10:51 AM   #2
mountainman

In racing, he would be beating the skim.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2023, 03:48 PM   #3
Inner Dirt

It must be great to be able to afford to lose $100 million gambling. He lost 10% laying 110-100 so he was pretty much had average skills gambling. Why is this convicted criminal profiting writing a book exposing Phil's gambling? What a loser.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2023, 04:30 PM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
It must be great to be able to afford to lose $100 million gambling. He lost 10% laying 110-100 so he was pretty much had average skills gambling. Why is this convicted criminal profiting writing a book exposing Phil's gambling? What a loser.
Hum...probably because Trump pardoned him...?
Old 08-11-2023, 05:47 PM   #5
ranchwest

Quote:
For more on that, you might want to watch some of his interviews on YouTube. There's actually a connection. He didn't just pluck Mickelson's name out of the sky. Not trying to make him out to be a good guy, but he is an interesting guy.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:59 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

The only thing I have against Phil and Michael gambling away hug sums of money is if they are betting against illegal bookmakers. Bet where the money is taxed and provides numerous jobs, and spreads the wealth, please. I sure wish I could smoke $400,000 on a golf tournament and say "oh well better luck next time." Unfortunately God did not give me Phil's short game skills. I used to be a pretty good golfer, until I could no longer take a full swing. I even took a lot of lessons and plenty of time on the range and putting green. I think my favorite shot was the one that goes from the sand trap in front of the green
to the one in back.

Anyone ever play the South Course at Los Serranos in Chino Hills Ca?
That course is almost 100 years old and went through changes over the years. I had to give up golf due to a lower spinal fusion almost 25 years ago, but I still watch and Google down memory lane on the courses I play.

It looks like they now have 7 tees per hole, 3 woman 4 means. When I was playing Los Serranos regularly over 40 years ago they did not have the insane black men's tees, on the South Course. I shall brag about how one time I handled the par 5 18th, back then from what they called Men's Championship tees
it was 592 yards to green center. At the time a creek ran across the front of the green the back had traps and trees. For the record now off the black tees that hole is 677 to the green and still a par 5. You guys who can still play take a SoCal vacation and have at it.

A quick set to the scene, step dad and I sit at one over I get close but have never beaten or tied him. We are both playing the back tees, mind you metal drivers are just starting to gain popularity. The early 40's step dad is happy with 225 down the middle on a drive. With the roll I could hit 325 pretty straight, I had driven greens on 350 or less par 4's too many times to count as I often cut the corner on dog legs. Two shots and step dad probably is a 7 iron or so out. Taking shot two unless I duffed my drive shot two is going for the green. As my nature no playing safe not even when I could finally get the step dad always beating me off my back.

I used to be blessed as I could usually swing hard as hell and make good contact and hit straight. If there wasn't a little headwind I think I am looking at a makeable putt for an eagle. If my eyes did not deceive me that that ball stuck right where it landed. It is 1/4 buried, I got under the 3 wood a little and the headwind made it where the ball probably had some good back spin. It hit the apron probably 5 yards from the green, I thought it would roll back in the creek which I had seen countless times.

No worries step dad is 3 shots with the creek between him and the green, I am two on the edge of the green with a bad lie. As I do, I proceed to lob wedge my ball into a sand trap on the back of the green. I lie 3, still in trouble. Step dad pitches with in about 10 feet of the cup, that is probably better than a 50-50 ball for him to make. I am now 100% psyched out and ready to choke away what was so far the best round of my life. Shot 3 gets out of the trap carries the green and goes in the creek. I lie 5, step dad is 4 and 10 feet out, boy did that go sideways fast. Chip on, two putt for an triple bogey 8, for a 4 over 78, close to my best round ever. Step dad comes in at one over better than his average round of high 70's on par 72's.

Do they still call them snowmen ? How many people hit two straight trouble free shots that total about 575 yards on a long par 5 and get a damn 8. It was not if I would get a freaking snow man it was when and how many. I used to carry a pint of cherry brandy in my golf bag I would not break the seal till the round went downhill. The question was at what hole do we start drinking today?
Old 08-11-2023, 07:21 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
For more on that, you might want to watch some of his interviews on YouTube. There's actually a connection. He didn't just pluck Mickelson's name out of the sky. Not trying to make him out to be a good guy, but he is an interesting guy.

Due to bad internet you tube can be an issue, sometimes I cannot stream even at 144P. I am in the process of changing providers, using a different cell service. Wish me luck.

Maybe I am different, I don't think a wealthy athlete gambling away huge amounts of money they can well afford is a bad person. I am sure many a dealer or cocktail waitress struggling to raise a family pulled a nice life changing tip off a Michael or Phil. That would be Michael Jordan in case someone did not know he gambles armored cars full of money. Maybe I am wrong about the guy talking about Phil.

As for tipping does anyone make a habit of tipping those that don't normally get tipped? Like I said me being the man while gambling ended with the internet age. Back in the day when hanging out at the Edgewater in Laughlin as the big fish in the small pond I would often kill time between races and games playing video poker. That helped me be patient and only make solid plays. If I cashed a nice ticket I would get a pack off $5 bills and tip the people cleaning the ash trays, dumping garbage and vacuuming. Some of the reactions were priceless and forced me to remember a lot of Spanish. At the book it was like clockwork people taking a break at their closed window would instantly open up when I strolled in. I remember once close to post not a lot of windows open and those that were are 10+ deep. One of my guys opens up for me and closes after taking my wager. In that time people piled behind me, to instantly get the window closed on them. I am afraid those days are gone but I have the memories.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 08-11-2023 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:31 PM   #8
Bustin Stones

Speaking of tipping, I recommend regularly tipping 25% in restaurants. it's a different dining experience when your server knows they're being treated well. They are pleasant, attentive and become your advocate. Everything you request gets there in seconds. They never get lost.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2023, 07:40 PM   #9
thaskalos

I just pre-ordered this guy's book. It will be released in 11 days. Say what you will about the guy's "character", he has to be one heck of a gambler...and that's worth at least the price of a book to me.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:58 PM   #10
ranchwest

Quote:
Due to bad internet you tube can be an issue, sometimes I cannot stream even at 144P. I am in the process of changing providers, using a different cell service. Wish me luck.

Maybe I am different, I don't think a wealthy athlete gambling away huge amounts of money they can well afford is a bad person. I am sure many a dealer or cocktail waitress struggling to raise a family pulled a nice life changing tip off a Michael or Phil. That would be Michael Jordan in case someone did not know he gambles armored cars full of money. Maybe I am wrong about the guy talking about Phil.

As for tipping does anyone make a habit of tipping those that don't normally get tipped? Like I said me being the man while gambling ended with the internet age. Back in the day when hanging out at the Edgewater in Laughlin as the big fish in the small pond I would often kill time between races and games playing video poker. That helped me be patient and only make solid plays. If I cashed a nice ticket I would get a pack off $5 bills and tip the people cleaning the ash trays, dumping garbage and vacuuming. Some of the reactions were priceless and forced me to remember a lot of Spanish. At the book it was like clockwork people taking a break at their closed window would instantly open up when I strolled in. I remember once close to post not a lot of windows open and those that were are 10+ deep. One of my guys opens up for me and closes after taking my wager. In that time people piled behind me, to instantly get the window closed on them. I am afraid those days are gone but I have the memories.
I don't recall now the details, but the reason he is talking about Mickelson is that he had some sort of direct interaction with him. He didn't just suddenly decide to divulge what he heard from his third cousin's barber. I think he goes into it in the book.

I enjoyed playing golf tournaments. I would often win the closest to the fairway trophy. lol

Last edited by ranchwest; 08-11-2023 at 08:09 PM.
ranchwest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2023, 08:27 PM   #11
thaskalos

Quote:
I don't recall now the details, but the reason he is talking about Mickelson is that he had some sort of direct interaction with him. He didn't just suddenly decide to divulge what he heard from his third cousin's barber. I think he goes into it in the book.

I enjoyed playing golf tournaments. I would often win the closest to the fairway trophy. lol
Yes...he had "direct interaction" with him. From the looks of it...they were probably friends. But, since Billy Walters is such a polarizing figure already...did he really need to "spill the beans" about Mickelson in order to sell a book? With his colorful past, couldn't he find enough things to talk about without having to embarrass his friends in the process? Or did he think that he was doing Mickelson a "favor" by divulging his huge gambling losses?
Old 08-11-2023, 08:42 PM   #12
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Not sure what that means, I am sure much has changed since I had to hang it up 25 years ago. Is that from some golf gambling game? My golf gambling was just who had the lowest round after adjusting for handicap. Our negotiations were not by the book. I freaking pretty much shot the same regardless of course length. On long courses I had to give up more strokes to attract action. I do not believe the slope system had been used yet when I was playing. Betting with the step dad I would not lower myself to take strokes. He was nice enough not to put me in the poor house. He would put up money against services. He got lots of free labor. He had the nicest looking car, and golf equipment on the planet. I never learned my lesson.
Just call me the auto detailing shoe shine boy.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:08 PM   #13
ranchwest

Quote:
Not sure what that means, I am sure much has changed since I had to hang it up 25 years ago. Is that from some golf gambling game? My golf gambling was just who had the lowest round after adjusting for handicap. Our negotiations were not by the book. I freaking pretty much shot the same regardless of course length. On long courses I had to give up more strokes to attract action. I do not believe the slope system had been used yet when I was playing. Betting with the step dad I would not lower myself to take strokes. He was nice enough not to put me in the poor house. He would put up money against services. He got lots of free labor. He had the nicest looking car, and golf equipment on the planet. I never learned my lesson.
Just call me the auto detailing shoe shine boy.
It was an attempt at a joke. I was in the rough a lot. I could hit it 300 yards, but I needed a protractor to help me locate my ball.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:55 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
It was an attempt at a joke. I was in the rough a lot. I could hit it 300 yards, but I needed a protractor to help me locate my ball.

So on a course with only OB on the boundaries did you play the adjoining fairway by slicing through the trees and then just cut over when you got close to the green? A good friend's half brother did that and then seem to claim he always got a par or bogey. I never understood people cheating when you are playing for friendly stakes, where a good day your green fees, lucnh, and 19th hole are covered. There used to be a lot of golf gambling games that the bad players could do ok at. With the far man away shooting first a hacker can take down plenty of first on bets. I usually only ended up more than a short ways off the fairway when I would screw up cutting the corners on dog legs. I used to even do that on holes I was playing for the first time. On courses I played frequently if it was hot as hell in the summer and were way ahead of who was trailing us. I would tee off with a marked ball, the one that counts and then hit a half dozen more for practice.

I kind of wished I would have saved some of my scorecards as they defied logic. When I got older and no longer had my step dad making me his personal valet I played mostly with friends around my same age. They liked cheap easy short courses they, weren't up for a road trip to pay $50-$100 in green fees and tackle a course full of hazards and 7,000+ yards from the back tees.

The favorite course for them was Paradise Knolls, 6200 yards, probably as easy as it gets. Kind of a typical round. First hole par 4 dog leg left. Blind shot toward green, real lucky, tap in for eagle. Second Hole, par 5 in on in two, two put birdie. Three under after two. a string of pars puts me three under after 7. Mind you I had never broken par on any 9 front or back 9, ever. The record for any 9 is par any full round +3. Could this be the magic round? How the hell a pair of snowmen show up in the dead of a hot summer is beyond me ,but they did. On the par 4 8th and 9th I got and . The balls I bought always had a strange attraction to sand and water.

After that I started concerning myself where the beverage cart girls were stationed. I don't remember how that round ended, I am sure it was real bad.
Old 08-12-2023, 12:16 AM   #15
ranchwest

I don't care for cheating, but I played a lot of scrambles, where cheating is usually pretty silly. Sheesh, you've got 4 balls. But I did get in with a ringer (suggested by the tournament director) one day. My team liked that!