Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-02-2023, 05:57 PM   #1
Andy Asaro

Both Saffie Joseph starters at the just opened ChurchillDowns meet collapsed and died

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 07:06 PM   #2
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

What are the chances that (once again) this gets swept under the rug?
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 07:42 PM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

are they confirmed to be both heart attacks without an injury?
Old 05-02-2023, 08:55 PM   #4
Michael

I blame the owners.

Last edited by Michael; 05-02-2023 at 08:57 PM.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 09:03 PM   #5
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
are they confirmed to be both heart attacks without an injury?
Both collapsed on track after the race no injury during race
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 09:37 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

Do they ever do necropsies on race horses done by 100% unconnected parties? I wonder if certain drugs over time can damage a horse's heart, liver and kidneys like a human?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2023, 10:24 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
Both collapsed on track after the race no injury during race
wow. Seems unlikely for both to happen randomly.

Twitter is going bananas about it. Seem to only see the tip of the iceberg.
Old 05-02-2023, 10:25 PM   #8
metro

Not a good start for CD, these two and Take Charge Briana on the turf today. This just days before the sports’ Super Bowl of racing.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2023, 09:18 AM   #9
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Do they ever do necropsies on race horses done by 100% unconnected parties? I wonder if certain drugs over time can damage a horse's heart, liver and kidneys like a human?

I would venture to say that there's no question that drugs can damage a horse's heart. When Baffert had that infamous stretch of 7 horses that dropped dead (from heart attacks) in a 16 month period, he said that he gave the horses a thyroid drug (Thyro-L). The chances of 7 young horses dropping dead like that are extremely low unless drugs are involved.

These two deaths for horses trained by high-percentage trainer Joe Saffie are concerning, IMO, especially since they were both owned by Ken Ramsey, who was caught cheating (he bribed someone to scratch their horse so his horse could get into a race).
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2023, 09:52 AM   #10
Boomer

This will not end well for for Saffie or the industry.

At Monticello raceway many years back, 2 horses died conditioned by the same trainer. Both died the same day after racing. It turns out another trainer ( not the horses trainer) snuck into the barn and shot the 2 horses up to actually run faster. They both won and the trainer who shot them up made a score by betting them to win.

I will not mention the trainer here but he never trained again. I also don't believe the matter was made public as this one has.

Maybe this will be the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back. Remains to be seen as how it gets handles from here.

Im am already wondering if these horses have quickly and quietly been cremated
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2023, 10:22 AM   #11
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post

Yes, quote below about the "Allard Death Camp" I believe can be attributed to Navarro or one of his many cronies.

n particularly troubling chapter in the Allard scandal, the Federal Bureau of Investigation intercepted a phone conversation in which two other alleged conspirators discussed the deaths of horses trained by Allard after they had been given illegal drugs. One reference caught on wiretap described the trainer’s operation as the “Allard death camp.”
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2023, 10:42 AM   #12
Inner Dirt

I suppose this is the case of the dopers staying ahead of the testers? The crap needs to get cleaned up. I can't remember his name but I believe it was in the 80's, a trainer at Los Alamitos QH was working magic in the 870 yard claiming races. I think at the time the claiming range was $2-$20k at that distance. Horses made incredible improvements winning at levels they previously could not. If a horse was claimed away it would get crushed until it returned to the level miracle trainer claimed it from.

The guy got away with this for quite some time. It was finally discovered he was giving the horses heroin. I wish someone would remember the incident and the guy's name. In the pre OTB days I would do the SA/HOL-Los Al double header on Saturdays.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2023, 11:11 AM   #13
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

His only entry today has been scratched out of Race 9, the Mamzelle Stakes.
He has one entered tomorrow in R3, and one entered on Friday
Stay tuned...
oh, he also has Lord Miles entered in the Derby on Sat.
Old 05-03-2023, 12:04 PM   #14
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Not a good start for CD, these two and Take Charge Briana on the turf today. This just days before the sports’ Super Bowl of racing.
Was watching with my wife -a casual fan - when Take Charge Briana broke down. This is a terrible look for the sport. I have nothing for or against Saffie Joseph - a look at rulings suggest he's not unfamiliar with the needle.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2023, 03:39 PM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Saffie is not unique among the trainers.

Their overages mostly fall between pushing the envelope, being a little disorganized, etc..

the overages are not the medications that moving horses up 10 points and causing their stamina to increase. Those medications are 'ahead of the testers', or in other words virtually undetectable.

an average fan or player's perception, and the media's limited understanding along with the industries limited options of action as well as having to act in their best interests, it's just the tip of the iceberg, and they don't even accurately see the iceberg, they see a small island/islet? or whatever the hell an iceberg could be mistaken for.

in the nfl
fans believe that the NFL tests for steroids and growth hormones etc...
the NFL owners (the ones that care or look) and the guys the owners pay to help think, and the team employees etc. etc.. know full well what the deal is. It would be super expensive and a pain in the neck to try to stay ahead of the users. It would also make many of the players less super-human in looks and performance. They'd have a tougher time recovering from contact and injuries and returning from big injuries and surgeries, and playing extra years on their contract.
All of this would also negatively affect the advertising contracts.
long story short, the NFL unspoken allows the steroids and growth hormones etc... they make an example of a few players each year to show that they 'enforce' the no steroids/growth hormones/etc.. rule.
The majority of fans believe that the NFL is clean and if they can see/believe that a villain player or a few players with freakish physiques are using gear, then most fans take that as a rarity in a mostly clean and enforced sport.

in pro wrestling or pro bodybuilding
i think almost everyone understands that these guys are using a ton of gear.
there's surely a few out there who think it's clean or that cheating is rare, and there's probably a pro Wrestling segment that simply doesn't think much about things, but generally everyone knows, no one cares. The sports deny it and do some light propaganda, but you have to be the biggest freier, the most naive person to be an adult and spend more than 5 minutes watching the sport and not know. It's just part of the sport and entertainment.

Unfortunately our game is now in 'NFL' territory.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 05-03-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply