Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #1
Overlay

RIP K. T. Oslin

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/12/22...es-dies-at-78/

For the country music fans on the board, singer K. T. Oslin (full name Kay Toinette Oslin), who enjoyed her greatest success in the 1980's, and whose hits included songs such as "'80's Ladies", "Do Ya?", and "I'll Always Come Back", has passed away at age 78. (She was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in 2015, but the immediate cause of her death was COVID-19.)

Last edited by Overlay; 12-22-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I saw her in concert at Beulah Park in the late 80’s? Early 90’s?

She opened for Ricky Van Shelton.

She was awesome........told a bunch of great stories.

She wrote some great songs.....
Old 12-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
fast4522

I have her CD, only recall the one hit.

RIP K. T. Oslin
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2020, 10:00 PM   #4
46zilzal
velocitician

Too bad...I

Last edited by 46zilzal; 12-22-2020 at 10:03 PM.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2020, 03:30 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Her publishing/copyrights on songs she has written will probably pay her heirs for years to come......... She had her share of hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
I have her CD, only recall the one hit.

RIP K. T. Oslin
Early 1980s
By 1981, she had signed to Elektra Records and released two singles as Kay T. Oslin: "Clean Your Own Tables" and "Younger Men (Are Startin' to Catch My Eye)".[3] The former made number 72 on the Hot Country Songs charts,[4] while the latter did not chart.[2] Despite the poor performance of these singles, Oslin had songs recorded by Gail Davies, The Judds, and Dottie West.[2][3] After a showcase performance in Nashville, Tennessee, she was spotted by producer Harold Shedd, best known for his work with Alabama. Shedd helped Oslin, now using K.T. Oslin as her stage name, sign with RCA Records in 1987.

1987–90
Oslin's first RCA single, "Wall of Tears", made number 40 on the country charts. It was followed by "80's Ladies", which went to number 7 and won Oslin the Grammy Award for Best Female Country Vocal Performance[4] as well as the number 1 hits "Do Ya" and "I'll Always Come Back".[4] In between these two singles, she was also a duet vocalist on Alabama's number 1 hit "Face to Face", although she did not receive chart credit for it.[5] This Woman, her second RCA album, produced five singles: "Money" at number 13, "Hold Me" at number 1, "Hey Bobby" at number 2, the title track at number 5, and finally, "Didn't Expect It to Go Down This Way" at number 23. "Hold Me" also won Grammy Awards for Best Female Country Vocal Performance and Song of the Year.[4]

Oslin's third album, Love in a Small Town, was released in late 1990. Although its leadoff single "Two Hearts" peaked only at number 73, the followup "Come Next Monday" became Oslin's biggest hit, spending two weeks at number 1.[2] It was followed by "Mary and Willie", her last Top 40 hit, then a cover of Al Trace's "You Call Everybody Darlin'".[4] After these songs, Oslin retired from touring; as it was, her retirement coincided with the chart declines of many country artists who were over 40.[3]

1990–2015
She released the greatest-hits package Greatest Hits: Songs from an Aging Sex Bomb in 1993, which produced a minor chart entry in "New Way Home".[4] Shortly afterward, she took a hiatus from her singing career in favor of acting, making appearances in the 1993 TV movie Murder So Sweet and the film The Thing Called Love.[2] She also guest-starred in several sitcoms and sketch comedies including The Carol Burnett Show[6] and on Season 4, Episode 19, "The Fabulous Fraizer Girls," of Arkansas-themed Evening Shade, where she plays one of three sisters headed to audition for the Grand Ole Opry. Tammy Wynette guest-starred as one of the sisters and the duo perform musical duets on the episode.[7]

Oslin returned to the stage in November 2013 for a concert at Franklin Theater in Franklin, Tennessee to celebrate the 25th anniversary of her debut album 80's Ladies.

Last edited by JustRalph; 12-23-2020 at 03:32 AM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply