Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Would the 15% - 30% takeout solution work? Multiple choice
Yes, it would work 0 0%
No, it wouldn't work 24 72.73%
I'm willing to give it a try 9 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. This poll is closed

Old 09-22-2017, 10:42 PM   #91
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Randall is probably upset because no-one commented that they missed him, when he didn't post on this board for a few days. He is the "sensitive" type...
Glad to know that you care so much....

How's that couponing coming along? I'm out of coups, Dahoss used the last of mine and the rest of the Midol....Go hustle up some on your own.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2017, 10:46 PM   #92
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Randall is probably upset because no-one commented that they missed him, when he didn't post on this board for a few days. He is the "sensitive" type...
I missed him but didn't comment about it. Does that count?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2017, 10:47 PM   #93
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
I missed him but didn't comment about it. Does that count?
You just did.....thanks Pal.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:03 AM   #94
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
If the game were actually dying , then you would be correct.

But as discussed on Byk's show , the game is quite healthy in other parts of the world, notably in Hong Kong.

Even if all we had were a few super tracks with big handles, the game will not be dead within anyone's lifetime.
If not dying how would you describe US racing? Napping? Do you really think bettors will flock to Hong Kong when the last US track shuts down?
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2017, 12:49 AM   #95
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
HERE....let me refresh your selective memory, Einstein...

You're the one that's the pussy here Ultracrapper, there's no doubt...
Where do I bow down to the self-made monument to your breath taking display of dart throwing exhibited during the Saratoga meet? I'd hate to see all that shining you spent on it go to waste. If you spent more time making a case for your picks rather than screaming at the top of your sissy ass lungs lookie what I did, maybe somebody might take note.

Do you have a database of all the posts you make so you can quickly refer posters back to statements you've made whenever somebody may have a thought that you've already had, as if every utterance from your gold plated tongue is of original and divine inspiration?

Just wondering. Maybe you'll trudge on back to the little hole you run back to anytime your feelings are hurt or when you're not lifted upon the board's shoulders and recognized for the brilliance you so readily credit yourself with.

Aaah. That felt good.

Anything to add DaHoss? After all, it's you that I draw my courage from. What would I be without you? Just another Thaskolas type blathering fool I guess. Better work on that Thask. You've been lumped in with the cowardly Ultracapper.

Edit: Forgot POS Ultracapper.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2017, 01:47 AM   #96
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Such a crushing reply from such a genius as yourself...

When someone proves themselves over and over, which I have, there's always going to be the jealous haters who have a smart-ass comment to give, like yourself, who've rarely ever proven anything on this board. It sucks that you've been doing this to me for that last few years, yet you think I don't notice YOU in particular. You're comments in the past of "WOW, I can't believe you just said that" prove that you have no clue what it takes to be at the top. It must frustrate you to see players that are better than you, who walk the walk, and then can talk about it, the real deal, not a poser as yourself.

Many posters here have PM'd me for helpful tips, both in live or tourney play, and I sometimes point them in the direction they need to go. It's up to them to put in the hard work and discipline it takes to be profitable in this game, but few actually do it. There are thresholds and breakthroughs you must bust through mentally to get to the rare pathways of profitability that are left, but I doubt you've ever worked that hard with algorithms, methodologies, raw data mining, odds-line making/layering or pro level replay analysis.

In the end, all you've done Ultracapper is prove that there's no age limit to YOU still being a punk....

PS- You can have the last word, as you're on IGNORE for good.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:24 AM   #97
ultracapper

Good God. What a dweeb.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:01 AM   #98
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
You vastly overestimate the entertainment value of racing versus other alternatives. There might be a slight draw of hardcore serious gamblers who see an opportunity but as for attracting new players, no chance.

Yet another victim of high takeout. Best gambling game there is, but because the takeout is so high, a long time horse player can't see it. You just proved my point. Some serious burnout.

Seriously, sadly we will never know.Racing is not going to every try. So your entitled to your opinion, I will stick with mine. We can spend the next number of years having this argument, while racing takes the bullet train into obscurity.

By the way sorry to break up the love fest here. Quite the reunion.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2017, 04:40 AM   #99
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
There is a small percentage of gamblers that I would define as you have up above. The overwhelming majority of gamblers couldn't calculate a probability if their life depended on it. They crave action! Las Vegas wasn't built by a bunch of smart gamblers losing millions of dollars. If the estimated percentage of winning horseplayers is less than 5% what does that make the other 95% plus players not so smart or just down on their luck?
I agree that saying gamblers are smarter was way too general. I should have said gamblers that are inspired to really apply themselves, especially as horse race handicappers, are, damn, I can't find the word, smarter isn't quite it. I'm thinking of guys like Beyer and Negranu and those kinds of people. But not only the best of the best. There is a lot of riff raff at my OTB, but there are a number of people there that have a real aptitude for problem solving and sound, solid thinking, in all phases of life. Very intelligent people.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:08 AM   #100
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
I agree that saying gamblers are smarter was way too general. I should have said gamblers that are inspired to really apply themselves, especially as horse race handicappers, are, damn, I can't find the word, smarter isn't quite it. I'm thinking of guys like Beyer and Negranu and those kinds of people. But not only the best of the best. There is a lot of riff raff at my OTB, but there are a number of people there that have a real aptitude for problem solving and sound, solid thinking, in all phases of life. Very intelligent people.
Sadly...I can't say the same about my OTB. The patrons that I have encountered there during my many years of attendance are exactly the type that I would travel a great distance to avoid...if "conversation" was the main reason for our gathering there. Twenty years I spent in those places...and I didn't meet a "Beyer-like" figure even ONCE.

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-23-2017 at 05:14 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #101
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post

Yet another victim of high takeout. Best gambling game there is, but because the takeout is so high, a long time horse player can't see it. You just proved my point. Some serious burnout.

Seriously, sadly we will never know.Racing is not going to every try. So your entitled to your opinion, I will stick with mine. We can spend the next number of years having this argument, while racing takes the bullet train into obscurity.
Calling racing the "the best gambling game" may have been true 25 years ago but much has changed. Personally I am not a victim of anything!

While any serious player (other than big rebate players) would be overjoyed with a large takeout decrease, the prospect of new players being drawn to the game at a significant rate because of it is wishful thinking. I would love to see my opinion proved wrong but I agree that racing probably will never try.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #102
thaskalos

Horse racing isn't a new betting enterprise that the gamblers have to be "introduced" to for the first time. The game has been around forever...and most serious gamblers, of all ages, have wandered into a racetrack or an OTB from time to time. The fact that they didn't remain there long means that they didn't like what they found there...and a re-introduction isn't likely to bring about any better results this time around.

The way the game is being run right now makes it the most unappetizing game in existence for the profit-minded player...IMO. Whenever a young gambler asks me for guidance in his gambling journey...I always dissuade him from taking the horses seriously as a money-making venture. I assure him that there are much better things out there to do with his time, and his money. In this game, the workload is too large...and the upside is too small.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #103
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Iad Ortiz has brought hundreds of WWE fans to the game.
No better wrestler around than Irad the "Strangler."
Old 10-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #104
NY Racing Fan

Wouldn't it helped if you explained what your "15-30 takeout solution" means?
NY Racing Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #105
LemonSoupKid

All of the friends I've ever brought to a track (or OTB occasionally) have loved it. But, the big difference here is that they have me, a guy who actually knows what he's doing. I feel that if you don't have a guide, you probably a) don't go in the first place or b) get overwhelmed and somewhat paralyzed, though I think you can still have fun. That's why it's better to go to a local (nice) track so you can see the horses and it's a combo petting zoo with gambling for the novices.

I've been into this since I was 15 and I have a knack for it, beyond all the years I spent learning. This doesn't happen much anymore (let's just say I'm older than 30), for many reasons, and there are more options of random stuff to do to entertain oneself, online or in person these days.

I could do very well even on non big race days (I don't play them, typically) at this point due to even off the cuff handicapping. But the time spent even peripherally, studying the program, following the races, etc requires a near entire day of dedicated time. Ironically, this is exactly what most of the guys I randomly see at OTBs have --- time. And it seems to be low class type time, just being honest. You can see that in how they act and what they bet, or how much, and the fact that when you return to the same OTB let's say, they're there with the same look, in the same location, with the same friends.

My question is not necessarily what draws more people in, but what's good for the bettor. That will make the whole game better, and potentially draw people in --- it can't hurt. Track take and taxes approaching what is normal in sports betting (10%) seems to me to be the most realistic and achievable, and I think that would improve the game overnight. Much as the new withholding rules are a win for everyone, I believe that would be too.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply