Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #31
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Would Los al run double headers if they expanded the track??? I think
Double headers would be pretty solid....

Do these 2 5/8ths tracks have the room to expand? And wouldn't more dates at delmar Just water down the meet?

Wouldn't that be like Saratoga racing from may-September it would just water it down...
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #32
so.cal.fan

Whiz,
I agree with you, it would water down that meet.
Los Al says they aren't going to expand. We'll see.
Fairplex could expand. If only to make the track better for training.
They have plenty of barn space there and could even add more.
I suspect if they expand, the State will "tax" the trainers/owners for stall space. Knowing California, just a hunch.
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #33
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
Would Los al run double headers if they expanded the track??? I think
Double headers would be pretty solid....

Do these 2 5/8ths tracks have the room to expand? And wouldn't more dates at delmar Just water down the meet?

Wouldn't that be like Saratoga racing from may-September it would just water it down...
Looks like the features near Los Al would limit any expansion.
JUst behind the grandstand is a church. On the west end is a golf course. On the east end is a church.
Fariplex appears to have some room on their property to enlarge the racing surface.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #34
thespaah

I just got an Email from former Hollywood announcer, Jim Byers.
He does indeed do radio for the Oklahoma City AHL franchise.
Since OKC is in the same division as the Charlotte team, I will get a chance to chat with him next season.
Cool beans.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #35
so.cal.fan

Here is today's headline in my local paper, Pasadena Star News

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/ci_2...k-closing-2014
Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #36
jimmy m

The Spaah. You beat me too it.Jim Does call for the Barons.I used to talk to Jim All the Time At Hollywood when he was there. He was always nice and would Talk for ever and would look at has watch and sometimes say he was late to get the changes done over the PA. .He left for Remington Park when it opened IN 1988.He still does announce every once in a while filling in for John Lies at Lone Star in the fall.We have a new AHL Team coming to Des Moines this season .Would love to get a chance to talk to him again.Im sure he does not even remember me.
jimmy m is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #37
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by so.cal.fan
Los Al says they aren't going to expand. We'll see.
Los Al is my primary Otb facility, and according to several track employees that I have talked to, Doc Allred simply is not keen on the idea of expansion of the track or dates, and the Doc still has the final say on the board of directors.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #38
HPFridays

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy m
The Spaah. You beat me too it.Jim Does call for the Barons.I used to talk to Jim All the Time At Hollywood when he was there. He was always nice and would Talk for ever and would look at has watch and sometimes say he was late to get the changes done over the PA. .He left for Remington Park when it opened IN 1988.He still does announce every once in a while filling in for John Lies at Lone Star in the fall.We have a new AHL Team coming to Des Moines this season .Would love to get a chance to talk to him again.Im sure he does not even remember me.
Good to see someone here from Prairie Meadows land. That's where I first went to the races back in '89. I've got some great memories of that place and usually go for a night of races when I do get back in the area.
HPFridays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #39
VastinMT

"You're going to have a lot of fun
Watching the thoroughbreds run
At beautiful Hollywood Park!"

This commercial on local LA television in the 1960s was my introduction to horseracing.

Neither parent was a gambler by any stretch of the imagination. I don't recall their explanation being satisfying.

I'm wiping away a nostalgic tear and making plans to be there on the 22nd, though my other holiday plans may intrude. But definitely take in a few more afternoons before then, too.
VastinMT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #40
Stillriledup
Veteran

Seriously, would any of you purchase a condo/house in Inglewood, Ca in the spot where Hollywood Park used to be? With large airplanes flying over your house every 5 seconds, in THAT neighborhood, at So California prices? (ya know, 500k for a 1 bedroom 880 sq ft cardboard box)

What am i missing?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #41
GaryG
Unreconstructed

I went to school in SoCal and lived there for about 20 years. Many memories at Hollywood but the best was the duel between Native Diver and Viking Spirit at 7 furlongs, 1965 I think. Newspaper handicapper Ernie Mason let me walk in to the track with him one day as I wasn't old enough to enter alone. He was my first and most important mentor and I miss him. Inglewood was a ghetto the last time I was there in 2002 and I can't imagine that it has improved. This is truly a sad time.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #42
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
Inglewood was a ghetto the last time I was there in 2002 and I can't imagine that it has improved.
Today it has become more barrio than ghetto. Habla Espanol?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #43
so.cal.fan

Gary G....you bring back memories, friend. I remember that race and Native Diver. Buster Millerick was a friend of John, so was the Diver's exercise boy Ernie Superian. We remember Ernie Mason....a great guy!

Stillrilledup....
There are condo's next door to the property. I don't know who would want to live there, unless you were an airline pilot or stewardess or worked at LAX. Even then........

I don't think they will build condos, I would bet they will make part of it a distribution center for UPS or FedX. or something like that.
It is a perfect location for that.
Has anyone seen the plans for the development? I know they are out, I just never wanted to look at them, because I was hoping they would keep it a racetrack.
However, as time went on, we could clearly see that wasn't going to happen.
John and I love the Hollywood Park racing and the track and paddock, but sadly it stops there. We hated the traffic driving from Sierra Madre to Inglewood. Last fall, John had SEVERAL evenings where it took him over 2 hours to drive the less than 30 mile trip back. It just was no longer worth it, so last fall was his last meet after 50 years there.
We hope Santa Anita will get more days, because John will continue to work there, as long as he is able.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #44
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Seriously, would any of you purchase a condo/house in Inglewood, Ca in the spot where Hollywood Park used to be? With large airplanes flying over your house every 5 seconds, in THAT neighborhood, at So California prices? (ya know, 500k for a 1 bedroom 880 sq ft cardboard box)

What am i missing?
1. The neighborhood is not that bad. There's a tendency of people in LA to equate "black neighborhood" with "bad neighborhood". Inglewood has a lot of middle class blacks and Hispanics. It is not Watts or South Central LA.

2. There's already been a lot of development surrounding Hollywood Park, and the developments have made money. Being near the airport can be a selling point for a certain sort of potential tenant.

3. People need to understand that there is simply not very much undeveloped land left in the Los Angeles basin. Anytime a big parcel opens up, it's valuable if you develop it right.

Yes, people will buy or lease property on the site of the former Hollywood Park.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #45
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
1. The neighborhood is not that bad. There's a tendency of people in LA to equate "black neighborhood" with "bad neighborhood". Inglewood has a lot of middle class blacks and Hispanics. It is not Watts or South Central LA.

2. There's already been a lot of development surrounding Hollywood Park, and the developments have made money. Being near the airport can be a selling point for a certain sort of potential tenant.

3. People need to understand that there is simply not very much undeveloped land left in the Los Angeles basin. Anytime a big parcel opens up, it's valuable if you develop it right.

Yes, people will buy or lease property on the site of the former Hollywood Park.
Saying its not Watts or So Central isnt exactly a ringing endorsement. Many people do equate black with bad, that's just the way it is unfortunately.

Time will tell, i would be surprised if this new development hit a home run and worked out well in the end and everyone lived happily ever after, but i have to admit i'm a bit skeptical that its all going to end up sunshine and roses.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply