Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #1
lamboguy

Deshawn Parker back

after being on the bench for over a month and he is showing them who is boss so far this evening. he's got 3 wins out of 4 mounts so far
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
after being on the bench for over a month and he is showing them who is boss so far this evening. he's got 3 wins out of 4 mounts so far
Was he hurt?
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Was he hurt?
i think so, i know he didn't go anywhere else and he didn't have days so he must of had an injury. good hard working kid that you have to root for.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
lamboguy

make that 4/5 so far this evening
Old 10-11-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
i think so, i know he didn't go anywhere else and he didn't have days so he must of had an injury. good hard working kid that you have to root for.
I wanted him to come to NYRA. At least in the winter. He is a good/smart rider. Smart can go a loooooong way at NYRA.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Not to say he can't ride or that he wouldn't do OK in NY over the winter, but "kid" is hardly the term I'd use to describe him. He's been riding since the early 90's and has to be mid to late 40's.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #7
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
Not to say he can't ride or that he wouldn't do OK in NY over the winter, but "kid" is hardly the term I'd use to describe him. He's been riding since the early 90's and has to be mid to late 40's.
He's either 45 or 46. I agree , he's passed the kid stage.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #8
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
Deshawn started riding at Thistledown in the late 80's. He's closing in on 5,000 wins, he's 45, and is very tall at 5' 11".....He's the winningest African-American jockey in the history of the sport.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2016, 11:50 PM   #9
SuperPickle

Quote:
I wanted him to come to NYRA. At least in the winter. He is a good/smart rider. Smart can go a loooooong way at NYRA.
That would have just been sad. With both Ortizs, Manny, Junior and Kendrick combined with field size he'd be riding three 30-1 shots a day. The fields are just too small. Not to mention isn't Corneilo coming back up for the inner. Plus Gallardo now. And there's always a bug. Maybe Lane Luzzi?

Imagine being every trainers 8th best option in a world of 6-7 horse fields.

As much as we hate it the inner is nine race cards with 6 Ortiz wins.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2016, 03:35 AM   #10
Prairie Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
Deshawn started riding at Thistledown in the late 80's. He's closing in on 5,000 wins, he's 45, and is very tall at 5' 11".....He's the winningest African-American jockey in the history of the sport.
Wow! 5' 11"? How does he make weight?

And I am a fan.
Prairie Bettor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2016, 03:45 AM   #11
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Bettor
Wow! 5' 11"? How does he make weight?

And I am a fan.
I read an article in which he said he's never had trouble making weight, he watches what he eats ( and maybe what he throws up ).Nothing beats great metabolism.

The first time, I happened to notice him when he dismounted, I thought "He's almost as tall as the horse!" .

Last edited by barahona44; 10-12-2016 at 03:48 AM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #12
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Parker old school good. Just rides. Nothing fancy, just lets his horses run. In NY there seems to be an agenda with many mounts, rated to death.

Last edited by AltonKelsey; 10-12-2016 at 12:02 PM.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #13
bello
Veteran

Quote:
And see an excellent, honest rider get into the gutter. Hope he steers clear of winter racing in NY for his own sake.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #14
pele polo

Parker has tried going several other places in the past wth little success. With the Moutain now closed during the winter I believe he's been going to Sam Houston to ride primarily for Eric Reed and doing fairly well but doesn't get 8 mounts a card like he does in WV.

I was surprised when he went to Tampa a few years ago and rode very few winners and was getting on a lot of longshots.

Very solid rider. Have to admire his consistency and the longevity in his consistency.

Last edited by pele polo; 10-12-2016 at 06:56 PM.
pele polo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #15
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele polo
Parker has tried going several other places in the past wth little success. With the Moutain now closed during the winter I believe he's been going to Sam Houston to ride primarily for Eric Reed and doing fairly well but doesn't get 8 mounts a card like he does in WV.

I was surprised when he went to Tampa a few years ago and rode very few winners and was getting on a lot of longshots.

Very solid rider. Have to admire his consistency and the longevity in his consistency.
didn't he win a bunch of races last year at Sam Houston and Remington when he was riding first call for Asmussen?