Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
If you believe the Bible has all the answers I know all I need to know.
Nobody has all the answers...thank God...
Old 11-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #32
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Constantly saying that you have a dislike for someone because they are religious is just like saying you have a dislike for those who are black.
No. Religiosity is a choice. Skin color is not.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:20 PM   #33
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Nobody has all the answers...thank God...
Boxcar would disagree. He is a bigot. Why is he still here?
Old 11-27-2022, 01:40 PM   #34
boxcar

Quote:
Unfortunately that is rarely the case.

I have a distinct dislike for religion and the religious.

Okay...fair enough. But explain, please, what makes you any different from the Nazis during WW11 who had a distinct dislike for Judaism and Jews? Do you think you're different from them because unlike them you haven't expressed your hatred and bigotry by tossing any religious people into an oven or gas chamber?
Old 11-27-2022, 01:42 PM   #35
boxcar

Quote:
Boxcar would disagree. He is a bigot. Why is he still here?
And how am I a bigot, precisely? Project much? Didn't you just essentially tell us that you hate religious people?
Old 11-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #36
boxcar

Quote:
No. Religiosity is a choice. Skin color is not.
So, you're okay if people hate pro-abortionists, trannys, homosexuals, lesbians, democrats, etc.?
Old 11-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #37
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
If you take that literally, then cannibalism would be condoned. You have to take that line with a grain of salt.

Consider that man has only been on this Earth for a fraction of a second compared to other animals in our evolution as a species. We have quite an Ego in our dominance of the planet and lack of respect for our animal predecessors. If you were born to eat meat as an animal, then that's that. But man is much more complicated.

What Pita is against is the exploitation of animals for profit, brainwashing people into believing they must eat meat which benefits their sales while lowering your health, and to take and indifferent attitude to the world of pain and suffering domesticated animals have to endure for our pleasure. Because animals are SENTIENT beings, like us.

You don't think there is something wrong with someone who owns a horse and loves that horse deeply, feels a connection to that horse and at the same time would condone the slaughter of horse for meat to export to Europe where it is more common as steak is here?

On a spiritual level, it's very possible and probable that animals have souls. For example Hindu's do not kill rats as they believe they are reincarnated beings.

I believe we (animals included) are all souls in the process of development and we start at lower levels of consciousness. Because our intellect is greater than animals we feel superior to them. But in the process of the development of the soul, "intellectualism" takes a back seat to the totality of experience of the being, be it animal or man. Intellectualism is nowhere to be found in profound experiences of the soul. It may help in the process to get to the edge of the experience that develops your soul, but the experience itself is always non intellectual if it is significant and life changing. It is beyond words.

When we say "thank you God for this meal" we are thanking God and not the animal. But previous generations gave thanks to the animal. That is because they knew the animal had a soul and felt obligated to acknowledge the sacrifice of the animal lest the spirit of the animal brings them harm.

I believe this issue of eating meat or not has only begun. When I first became Vegetarian in the 70's people expressed deep concern for my health. 50 years later, I'm still standing and some of them are not. Now no one gasps when I say I'm Vegetarian.

A large part of this issue is a matter of misinformation,misunderstanding and miseducation about what our body needs.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2022, 02:37 PM   #38
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Unfortunately that is rarely the case.

I have a distinct dislike for religion and the religious.

What I have experienced over time is people who are overly trusting of people that share their religious beliefs, two incidents come to mind.

I ended up working for a guy who went to my grandmother's church, a strange fact found out about a year after I went to work for him. She considered him a wonderful man as he gave quite generously to the church
and held bible study at his large home on top of attending all church functions.

I could write a book on how he was a judgemental, despicable human being.
He was always on my ass for living in sin at the age of 20, while he was cheating on his wife. He inherited a city block in East Los Angeles and a business from his dad. He had nothing but disgust for his dad. His business needed little parking, and he owned two decent sized parking lots. He just had chain link fences built around them. A restaurant across the street was interested in leasing or buying the lots. That had been going on back 40 years when his dad owned the block, they derived joy keeping something of no use to them that someone else wanted. The guy was also constantly bragging about his possessions, all inherited. On top of that he looked like Fred Flintstone, and had no manners.

Had a friend whose father in law was a strict practicing Mormon, a long standing church member defrauded the congregation out of a half million dollars, that was also 40 some odd years ago.

It was a gold mining operation with everything faked, including the land deed. No one checked it out and he must have got 50+ people to stake $10k. My friend's step dad often brought it up saying, "But the guy was a good Mormon well involved in the church."
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2022, 02:47 PM   #39
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
When I first became Vegetarian in the 70's people expressed deep concern for my health. 50 years later, I'm still standing and some of them are not. Now no one gasps when I say I'm Vegetarian.
There is a minor argument in Judaism for vegetarianism. Gan Eden was purely vegetarian…supposedly provided by god. I know many religious Jews who base their diet on this. Most others cite Kashrut law as a disclaimer.

Last edited by TJDave; 11-27-2022 at 02:51 PM.
TJDave is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2022, 02:56 PM   #40
boxcar

Quote:
If you take that literally, then cannibalism would be condoned. You have to take that line with a grain of salt.
Here's a novel idea: How about understanding and interpreting the text in its context:

Gen 9:1-3
9:1 Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth. 2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. 3 Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.
NIV

Most people would logically deduce that "everything" in v.3 is qualified by the preceding verse. So how do you get "cannibalism" out of the passage?

Since the rest of your post is of no better quality than your first paragraph, I'll take a pass. Thanks for understanding.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #41
boxcar

Quote:
There is a minor argument in Judaism for vegetarianism. Gan Eden was purely vegetarian…supposedly provided by god. I know many religious Jews who base their diet on this. Most others cite Kashrut law as a disclaimer.
What about the dietary laws within the Law of Moses?
Old 11-27-2022, 03:01 PM   #42
Inner Dirt

Quote:

I believe this issue of eating meat or not has only begun. When I first became Vegetarian in the 70's people expressed deep concern for my health. 50 years later, I'm still standing and some of them are not. Now no one gasps when I say I'm Vegetarian.

A large part of this issue is a matter of misinformation,misunderstanding and miseducation about what our body needs.

I don't think being a vegetarian would work if you are an athlete who needs to build and then maintain muscle bulk. I know they were all juicers, but books written by leading body builders from those very 70's preached the need for a lot of protein, which would be very difficult to consume if one does not eat meat. A lot of the science in that area is the same now as was then.
If you look at all the legal muscle building supplements they contain the same ingredients as 50 years ago. The advance in science is mostly in cheating.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:04 PM   #43
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
What I have experienced over time is people who are overly trusting of people that share their religious beliefs, two incidents come to mind.

I ended up working for a guy who went to my grandmother's church, a strange fact found out about a year after I went to work for him. She considered him a wonderful man as he gave quite generously to the church
and held bible study at his large home on top of attending all church functions.

I could write a book on how he was a judgemental, despicable human being.
He was always on my ass for living in sin at the age of 20, while he was cheating on his wife. He inherited a city block in East Los Angeles and a business from his dad. He had nothing but disgust for his dad. His business needed little parking, and he owned two decent sized parking lots. He just had chain link fences built around them. A restaurant across the street was interested in leasing or buying the lots. That had been going on back 40 years when his dad owned the block, they derived joy keeping something of no use to them that someone else wanted. The guy was also constantly bragging about his possessions, all inherited. On top of that he looked like Fred Flintstone, and had no manners.

Had a friend whose father in law was a strict practicing Mormon, a long standing church member defrauded the congregation out of a half million dollars, that was also 40 some odd years ago.

It was a gold mining operation with everything faked, including the land deed. No one checked it out and he must have got 50+ people to stake $10k. My friend's step dad often brought it up saying, "But the guy was a good Mormon well involved in the church."
You shouldn't judge any religion until you have investigated what it's teachings are regarding moral or ethical issues. For your info, biblical Christianity has quite a high standard. So high, in fact, that no mere mortal can attain to it.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:09 PM   #44
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I don't think being a vegetarian would work if you are an athlete who needs to build and then maintain muscle bulk. I know they were all juicers, but books written by leading body builders from those very 70's preached the need for a lot of protein, which would be very difficult to consume if one does not eat meat. A lot of the science in that area is the same now as was then.
If you look at all the legal muscle building supplements they contain the same ingredients as 50 years ago. The advance in science is mostly in cheating.
Myth. You can gain enough protein from non meat sources.

It’s just not as enjoyable.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #45
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Myth. You can gain enough protein from non meat sources.

It’s just not as enjoyable.

For bulking up 1 1/2 grams per pound a day for pound of body weight, going non meat would require consuming a hell of a lot of calories compared to fish and chicken. I am sure there is not a non meat replacement that could compare.
If I went the non meat way to get my protein back in the day I would have been a 400 pound defensive lineman instead of a 225 pound linebacker, in a 5-2.