Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-04-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
MadVindication

What did you think of War of Will's run in the derby?

It is hard to say how he'd really have finished, since he was interfered with. I haven't watched the replay yet so just going by first impression. I think he overcame that inside post and ran really well. But I'm fairly new to the sport and perhaps I have a bias since he was one of my picks FTW.

Opinions? Of his trip/ability/anything

Jokes welcome too
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
metro

Gafflioine sent just enough to establish position and then seemingly had to fight some restraint to get WoW to settle. Rated nicely down the back side and midway through the 2nd turn. Obviously had plenty of horse since as he comes out of the turn he tries to steer outside the leader. After the near disaster the horse reengages and fights for an 1/8th or so then bottoms out.

In hindsight thought that if Tyler had stayed on the rail and waited until they turn for home before he engages the leader(s) the outcome might have been different. I did have tris 7-1-20 and 7-20-1, and horizontals finishing with the 1 though so I'm obviously biased a bit.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #3
boys at tosconova

i claim foul
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #4
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

He'll be 9/1 or so in the Preakness and I think I'ma gonna like that quite a bit.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #5
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Gafflioine sent just enough to establish position and then seemingly had to fight some restraint to get WoW to settle. Rated nicely down the back side and midway through the 2nd turn. Obviously had plenty of horse since as he comes out of the turn he tries to steer outside the leader. After the near disaster the horse reengages and fights for an 1/8th or so then bottoms out.

In hindsight thought that if Tyler had stayed on the rail and waited until they turn for home before he engages the leader(s) the outcome might have been different.
Thanks for the assessment. I think that him having to navigate a near spill may have cost some stamina.

And agree he should've been more on the inside and looking to pass there. So when watching the replay I'm going to look if anything was impeding that.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:41 PM   #6
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
He'll be 9/1 or so in the Preakness and I think I'ma gonna like that quite a bit.
I really hope he runs there and he's at those kinda odds! The distance is easy.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:42 PM   #7
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys at tosconova View Post
i claim foul
How dare he try to pass Maximum Security Guard.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:53 PM   #8
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post

In hindsight thought that if Tyler had stayed on the rail and waited until they turn for home before he engages the leader(s) the outcome might have been different. I did have tris 7-1-20 and 7-20-1, and horizontals finishing with the 1 though so I'm obviously biased a bit.
Yes, it looked to me that WOW tried to jump through a hole that closed too quickly. Don't see how the lead horse is supposed to know to keep the hole open.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 04:12 AM   #9
boys at tosconova

willy's war ran a decent race, and if he didn't get impeded it might of been better.

he didn't spit it out until very, very deep into the stretch, but he spit it out something awful when he did. almost to a walk.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #10
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVindication View Post
It is hard to say how he'd really have finished, since he was interfered with. I haven't watched the replay yet so just going by first impression. I think he overcame that inside post and ran really well. But I'm fairly new to the sport and perhaps I have a bias since he was one of my picks FTW.

Opinions? Of his trip/ability/anything

Jokes welcome too
The more I watched the replay the more I think he had a legitimate chance to win the race or at least come second...
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa View Post
Yes, it looked to me that WOW tried to jump through a hole that closed too quickly. Don't see how the lead horse is supposed to know to keep the hole open.
I saw that. Is it allowed to physically push your way through where there is no room?
Old 05-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
Niko

Could that be why Gafflioine didn't claim foul or was it just because it was the Derby or his finish position? Would be curious to get his viewpoint after the race.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #13
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
He should have stayed pat and wait. He probably thought MS was going to tire but probably got completely surprised when he didn't. If WoW stayed on the rail, I think he had a good shot.

When was the last time the rail didn't open up in the Kentucky Derby?
Old 05-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #14
MadVindication

Great interview. Pretty emotional too. Casse's a cool guy

Old 05-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

I don't know.

Failed to (be) quarter-horse(d) from the gate.

Then, started to rate too soon, too far prior to the first turn.

Restrained down inside, once the leader slowed it wayyyy down to a crawl/breather.

Is not asked until the leader is asked.

I mean, this isn't a horse that I like, but even with the awful ride, he may have run 3rd or 4th without Saez's intimidation. If he had a great trip or something he may have hit the exacta or even won if no one else ran. They did a great job getting this horse to bounce back. He was a real wildcard.