Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
Ocala Mike

Angry Troubling News from the Empire State

All is not well (as usual) between Albany and NYRA, specifically Saratoga.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...on-7969296.php
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
lamboguy

way to much government regulation in racing, but since racing has no regulations or managing body that is why they exist.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #3
pandy

If Andrew Cuomo is anything like his dad, Mario, he certainly doesn't like racing, or any sports. Mario Cuomo was not only a horribly inept governor, he's an elitist. I loathed Mario. He would raise taxes on something like beer, and his attitude was, beer isn't good for you, so who cares. He had the same feelings about gambling. Watching sports on TV was obviously for nitwits. Cuomo fancied himself a intellectual and you could see that he felt that people who bet on horses or even watched football on TV were common. That's why he didn't fight to keep the Jets and Giants in New York, costing the state tens of millions of dollars in tax revenue, as well as hundreds of jobs.

I'm surprised no one has written a book about Mario Cuomo's tenure as governor of New York. It was a blueprint of how to cause severe and lasting damage. Under Cuomo, who taxed everything in sight, billions of dollars of wealth and tax revenue fled the state.

People forget that when he ran for his second term, he would have lost, but the Republican party miscalculated. Polling sucked back then and early on they thought he was going to be an easy two termer so they picked some French American guy named Pierre to run against him. And Pierre was doing extremely well until he said something that sounded racist pertaining to Harlem and Cuomo won. If the Republicans ran one of their stars, like Alfonso D'Amato, against him, they would have won.

Last edited by pandy; 06-08-2016 at 10:31 AM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
12/ALL/ALL

In no way am I defending Mario Cuomo and I don't live in New York, but he was in the Pittsburgh Pirates minor league system, so I doubt that he hated sports.
12/ALL/ALL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 AM   #5
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12/ALL/ALL
In no way am I defending Mario Cuomo and I don't live in New York, but he was in the Pittsburgh Pirates minor league system, so I doubt that he hated sports.

That must have been before he became an elitist. But then again, Mario was a odd guy, he may have thought that baseball was okay but football and horse racing weren't. He had an annoying way to making you feel that if you didn't agree with him you just weren't that smart.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12/ALL/ALL
He hated people.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
classhandicapper

I don't even care to read the article given that I already know the state government is full of corrupt incompetent swine.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #8
Zydeco

We thank Mr. Hendrickson for his service and wish him well," said Cuomo spokesman Rich Azzopardi. "The governor and the Legislature saved NYRA from yet another bankruptcy in 2012 and installed a board and management team that, by every metric, has been a success. We seek to continue this progress."

lol... Tom???
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #9
westny

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I don't even care to read the article given that I already know the state government is full of corrupt incompetent swine.
westny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #10
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Sums it up well.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #11
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Audit: NYRA Overstated Financial Condition

This is a low blow by the state. Coming out with this crap the 24 hours before Belmont’s big day:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...cial-condition

Quote:
……the state's Franchise Oversight Board, which was created as part of the 2008 bankruptcy settlement agreement, made clear in 2011 that NYRA needed to develop a plan to make racing profitable without VLT revenue.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

They sure didn't blow it all on timing equipment!
Old 06-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #13
AlBundy33

Could be worse. You could be here in Michigan where our genius horsemen and wonderful government are trying to pass a bill that would make ADW's illegal.

Aside from the worst doubles and exacta takeouts (28%) in the country, a terrible betting menu, no handle (handle was at least decent on Mondays when Hazel ran harness), a grandstand where probably 75% of it is inaccessible and small fields with coupled entries.

Not to add that Hazel Park came up with this brilliant idea, trying to pass this off as a party suite. Wouldn't you want to bring in a group of people to entertain in this lap of luxury?

Old 06-10-2016, 11:00 PM   #14
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

That is funny, but I liked Hazel Park when I visited last year during their TB meet, and hope to visit again sometime this Summer as part of an Ohio harness fair trip!

Michigan does need to get it together though regarding ADWs, etc.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #15
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBundy33
Could be worse. You could be here in Michigan where our genius horsemen and wonderful government are trying to pass a bill that would make ADW's illegal.

Aside from the worst doubles and exacta takeouts (28%) in the country, a terrible betting menu, no handle (handle was at least decent on Mondays when Hazel ran harness), a grandstand where probably 75% of it is inaccessible and small fields with coupled entries.

Not to add that Hazel Park came up with this brilliant idea, trying to pass this off as a party suite. Wouldn't you want to bring in a group of people to entertain in this lap of luxury?
too funny.

Floor looks pretty clean though. Nice place for a kiddie birthday party.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply