Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-21-2024, 07:10 PM   #76
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
My payroll when I first bought the franchise in 2018 was 32k every two weeks.

Now: just a hair under 45k. We are the highest paid in our company.......but we also have very little turnover now, compared to 2018. I also do car loans etc for tenured employees and have actually paid for a funeral or two. Just last month one of my employees was getting evicted, she is an18 yr old waitress, who lived at home with older parents with no social security because dad is illegal and worked under the table for 30 yrs. Mom is only 60 but actually lost her Mcdonalds job when they automated a local franchise. We found them an apartment, (with help from other employees we networked like crazy) near the restaurant and set them up with what they needed. Hired mom, who has turned out to be an outstanding addition. you have to do more and maintain relationships.

The quality of my employees and the turnover healed some after all the covid money finally ran out.
That's exactly what you have to do. I just finished payroll at 7pm. Got up at 5am. Only business owners understand that. My payroll is $32k every week. After payroll, my next biggest expense is payroll taxes. In fact, payroll taxes are larger than all other expenses combined. It's crazy. Like you, we try to help our employees. New transmission. Loaned out one of our cars so they could work. I can't say they were as appreciative as your employees were or I would have been, but we would do it again. We didn't do it for the attaboy.

We have 75 employees, and I only look sideways at maybe 5 at any one time. We have a stable crew now, and we feel very fortunate in that. Stability is everything as you know. Instability in one area of the business means a lot more work in every other area of the business, and thus more cost.

Last edited by tucker6; 02-21-2024 at 07:13 PM.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2024, 07:41 PM   #77
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
That's exactly what you have to do. I just finished payroll at 7pm. Got up at 5am. Only business owners understand that. My payroll is $32k every week. After payroll, my next biggest expense is payroll taxes. In fact, payroll taxes are larger than all other expenses combined. It's crazy. Like you, we try to help our employees. New transmission. Loaned out one of our cars so they could work. I can't say they were as appreciative as your employees were or I would have been, but we would do it again. We didn't do it for the attaboy.

We have 75 employees, and I only look sideways at maybe 5 at any one time. We have a stable crew now, and we feel very fortunate in that. Stability is everything as you know. Instability in one area of the business means a lot more work in every other area of the business, and thus more cost.

I counted hats, I made it to 22, that was over the course of 30 years. How come you have to wear so many hats with 75 employees? A couple I no longer wear. I retired the R & D machinist hat when I stopped making my own products. No more auto mechanic as the company truck went with employee lay-offs because of the recession of 2008, and also no wrenching on vehicles to develop products. Plumber hat retired as the current downsized shop has no restroom or running water. Production welder hat gone as that was worn when making my own products.

So I am down to 18 hats and no employees. Some of the hats here are worn due to lack of competent outside help. I hired a plumber to change a well pump as no way my old fat ass is going down a well. Then when the well electrical and plumbing to it needed replaced I never got a call back. I refuse to hire electricians as I got tired of fixing their mistakes. If I need to do electrical work I drop everything and do it myself.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2024, 08:10 PM   #78
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I counted hats, I made it to 22, that was over the course of 30 years. How come you have to wear so many hats with 75 employees? A couple I no longer wear. I retired the R & D machinist hat when I stopped making my own products. No more auto mechanic as the company truck went with employee lay-offs because of the recession of 2008, and also no wrenching on vehicles to develop products. Plumber hat retired as the current downsized shop has no restroom or running water. Production welder hat gone as that was worn when making my own products.

So I am down to 18 hats and no employees. Some of the hats here are worn due to lack of competent outside help. I hired a plumber to change a well pump as no way my old fat ass is going down a well. Then when the well electrical and plumbing to it needed replaced I never got a call back. I refuse to hire electricians as I got tired of fixing their mistakes. If I need to do electrical work I drop everything and do it myself.
A facility's manager might be able to wear some of those hats.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2024, 08:51 PM   #79
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
A facility's manager might be able to wear some of those hats.

A lot of those hats don't need to be worn very long, even back when I made my own products pre 2008 recession and had full time employees, and a hell of a lot more machinery. Sometimes I would get a run of bad luck and I would have to play CNC repair tech and electrician every day for weeks at a time, then I would go a year and not even change a light bulb.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:01 PM   #80
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
A lot of those hats don't need to be worn very long, even back when I made my own products pre 2008 recession and had full time employees, and a hell of a lot more machinery. Sometimes I would get a run of bad luck and I would have to play CNC repair tech and electrician every day for weeks at a time, then I would go a year and not even change a light bulb.
Yes I understand that your getting younger as you go, but at some point tasks you would normally do might be better for someone really good at running the show to let you think of new business that you obviously don't need.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2024, 10:18 PM   #81
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post

I’ve got 57 as of this week. I would say just like you…..5-6 keep you busy. Congrats on your success!

I do my payroll thru ADP. My guys know nothing of payroll taxes etc. I tried to explain to them that we pay about 10%+ more than their regular pay in taxes ……..let’s just say I stopped having that conversation.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:57 PM   #82
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Yes I understand that your getting younger as you go, but at some point tasks you would normally do might be better for someone really good at running the show to let you think of new business that you obviously don't need.

I tried putting my brain in a younger person's body as I saw the writing on the wall, I was unable to do that. I do not hunt as I won't kill Bambi, I get my meat at the grocery store. I am a lousy fisherman and had to give up golf because of multiple back operations. I do not see how Tiger plays, I bet he gets injections and is loaded up the wazoo. Everything is paid for so I can get away with not even working full time. Longevity for males does not run in the family, I think I can work till I keel over.

I strangely seem to live in a technological desert, there aren't many machine shops that are in this century. Most have little automation and support services are far away and expensive. The only plater in a 70 mile radius charges ridiculous rates, they have a minimum lot charge of almost $300, that is more than triple what I paid a little over 12 years ago in SoCal.
No baloney, businesses here still advertise in the yellow pages and don't have websites. In some ways here it is 1984.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:30 PM   #83
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I’ve got 57 as of this week. I would say just like you…..5-6 keep you busy. Congrats on your success!

I do my payroll thru ADP. My guys know nothing of payroll taxes etc. I tried to explain to them that we pay about 10%+ more than their regular pay in taxes ……..let’s just say I stopped having that conversation.

Favorite as in not, conversations were back when I probably had about 57 or so employees under me when I worked for ITT as in International Telephone & Telegraph as a working supervisor, over 30 years ago. That was right when health insurance starting it's climb to insanity. When I started there in 1987 awesome 100% coverage health insurance was free for couples and they just charged token payments for families.

As the employee contribution crept up people started squawking and wanted raises. They had a pay grade system so other than the yearly COLA raise you have to jump a pay grade to get a raise and there was a thick book dictating what skills it took to climb the next tier. I was already researching health plans as I knew I would eventually strike out on my own. At the time I was married and we were trying to start a family at the time the awesome family plan the company charged $15 a week for cost $300 a month if you paid all of it yourself. Of course when I told people that they are getting a $300 benefit for $15 a week I got the you are a lying company man BS.

I only recall 3 problems, one was an annoying guy named Dean who was a germ phobe and a PITA. He would always turn down overtime but when I stopped asking him he would go tell my boss. Maria was also a problem, she was drop dead gorgeous and promiscuous, you could imagine trying to keep the butt sniffing dogs off her. I had to stop what were almost a couple fist fights. Then there was Linda she would wore a T-shirt with no bra under her lab coat and flashed guys. It was a fun place to work.
Maria was a floater than did multiple lower skilled jobs. I probably could
have charged guys to assign her to help them or work in their area.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:27 AM   #84
tucker6

Quote:

I was much, much less affected by Covid than you were. Minimal effects actually because more than 95% of our business over the years is Medicaid. Pays a lot less than private pay, but Uncle Sam pays every Friday like clockwork. I read many of your covid posts back then and your recovery from the shutdown. You did a fabulous job of managing your human resources to minimize the turnover once you came back online. It is hard to gain loyalty but you've done a good job at that and that paid dividends when you needed it.

We use Quickbooks, but would not recommend them any longer. It was good for a few years but in 2023, they really F'd up some of my files and took no responsibility for it. You are unable to contact their tax dept. Period. Not even customer service has their number. You have to email them questions and they respond within 30 days per their policy!! Their customer service has changed drastically. It is much harder to contact them and when you do, it's often someone in the Phllippines with a rooster crowing in the background. In other words, they are trying to beef up the bottom line, probably so they can sell the company at a bigger profit. So I'm not a fan. They used to be much better.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2024, 09:11 PM   #85
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
And on top of outrageous power bills... my phone in the last 90 days had a 25% increase and was just informed it will be going up another 35%. Next month but effectively it had double since 2020 before these kick in the nuts... oh and I'm also paying more for copper service they tell me... I could save with fiber... but that is not an option as it's not been run past my place. Even though they got millions to run it for the Fed's that first took it from us.

I am not sure if by phone you are talking cell, or a hardwired landline. If it is cell check into Visible, one cell line with internet (typical 1-10 Mbps speed)
is only $25 a month, no idea the price on multiple lines. Customer service is piss poor, but they are improving. You will need a smart phone that agrees with their software to set up as a hotspot for using the internet. If you are in a place close to a cell tower they use you can get up to 25 Mbps. I bought a new $85 smart phone that works with their service.

I am just a customer who uses the cheap no frills Verizon based service, if any of the not so tech savvy are interested in saving a few bucks and wants advice send me a PM.

On the Rail, as we speak they are laying fiber optic here, today it just got to my property line, not sure if they will hook it up soon or when I am 6 feet under, 10 years from now.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:20 AM   #86
Half Smoke

Fox news stars privately expressed disbelief about election fraud claims per the article

from the article:

"hosts Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham as well as others repeatedly insulted and mocked Trump advisors including Sydney Powell and Giuliani in text messages with each other after the election"

"Sydney Powell is lying by the way. I caught her. It's insane" Carlson wrote

Ingraham responded: "Sydney is a complete nut. No one will work with her. Ditto with Rudy."

Fox Chairman Rupert Murdoch called Trump's voter fraud claims: "really crazy stuff, terrible stuff damaging everybody I fear"

from the article:

"another Murdoch owned property (Fox News is owned by Murdoch) The New York Post, published an editorial urging Trump to stop complaining that he had been cheated"

not sure if you can get past the paywall on the NYT article - I can

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/16/b...n-lawsuit.html

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-28-2024 at 10:27 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2024, 10:27 AM   #87
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

When you understand the amount of lying, cheating, stealing and evil there is in the world...and you understand the actual psychosis of Trump Derangement Syndrome...how can you possibly think there wasn't election fraud on a scale that could change the outcome?

Throw in the whole CHAOS of COVID and widespread (and new to many places) MAIL-IN BALLOTS...

You'd have to be the most naïve person in the world.

Are you the most naïve person in the world, Mr. Half Smoke?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-28-2024 at 10:28 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2024, 10:28 AM   #88
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Oh, and here is how you get past the paywall:

https://archive.ph/vBb2e
Old 03-28-2024, 10:39 AM   #89
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
You'd have to be the most naïve person in the world.

Are you the most naïve person in the world, Mr. Half Smoke?
hows about you answer that question for me because -

the link is from your beloved Fox News -

they say that per their survey 68% of Republicans believe the election was rigged

which of course means that 32% of Republicans don't believe that

they go on to say that overall 36% think the election was rigged while 58% don't

it's a 4 year old link - I couldn't find a more recent link from Fox

so I linked a more recent article that shows the results of several polls while batting down Trump's 82% claim -
the 2nd link shows about the same as the Fox News story from 4 different polls

so, according to you, the majority of voters must be very naive

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep...mp-robbed-poll

https://www.wral.com/story/fact-chec...gged/21316494/

Last edited by Half Smoke; 03-28-2024 at 10:46 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2024, 10:51 AM   #90
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
hows about you answer that question for me because -

the link is from your beloved Fox News -

they say that per their survey 68% of Republicans believe the election was rigged

which of course means that 32% of Republicans don't believe that

they go on to say that overall 36% think the election was rigged while 58% don't

it's a 4 year old link - I couldn't find a more recent link from Fox

so I linked a more recent article that shows the results of several polls while batting down Trump's 82% claim -
the 2nd link shows about the same as the Fox News story from 4 different polls

so, according to you, the majority of voters must be very naive

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep...mp-robbed-poll

https://www.wral.com/story/fact-chec...gged/21316494/

That's interesting..."BELOVED FOX NEWS"

Interesting because over the last 7+ years, the ONLY TIMES I would actually watch FOX NEWS is when Tucker Carlson's show was on.

Literally the only times.

Needless to say, I haven't watched even a second of FOX NEWS since Carlson was let go.

So your perceptions are completely incorrect right off the bat.

FOX NEWS was not beloved to me. It was once only a necessity because that's where Tucker Carlson previously plied his craft.

FOX NEWS does not impress me...never has...and has definitely not ever been beloved by me.