Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #91
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

how can you say its time warner when time warner became spectrum ?

Those are great stats, I would agree with you if it still was time warner but they're gone poof vanished.

Regardless if spectrum asked for a million. You pay it. How can I say that? Just off my usage of the tv they make almost $250,000. You dont think off 10,000,000 other possible viewers the channel doesn't produce a profit.

Seriously. Dead serious. Answer that question.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #92
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
No to rehash the TV decision but it was pretty taken out of context in that thread

The catalyst on that decisions Time Warner. Time Warner has been very aggressive with carriage fees to operators. The cable business is changing. All providers are bleeding subscribers. As a result they've been very heavy handed in fees, especially with sports channels. As anyone who lives in SoCal because they have not seen a Dodger game for forever.

At the end of the day NYRA made a business decision. The decision was less people are ordering Time Warner Cable and Time Warner is asking them for more money to continue to show the channel. They made a decision to walk. Prior to the decision they did a bunch of things to narrow the affect and give users options. They rolled out HD video on their site where you can watch the races for free. Mobile solutions and solutions to just about every streaming device out there.

I know EMD hates it but it was a good business decision.
My day job is TV. This is pretty friggin correct.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #93
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete
My day job is TV. This is pretty friggin correct.
May I ask why? I'm seriously looking to see your side of this decision. Not being sarcastic.

And in what market do you work in please?
Old 01-06-2017, 07:22 PM   #94
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
May I ask why? I'm seriously looking to see your side of this decision. Not being sarcastic.

The market isn't relevant. The reality is subscribers dropped on all cable companies and they are raising prices on everything customer facing and want lower carriage costs from channel owners to keep revenue flat.

The thing you're not grasping is less people were watching the channel so NYRA's cost increased. It's a basic business decision.

Here's an article...

http://www.latimes.com/business/laza...nap-story.html

Btw... Spectrum merged with Time Warner. It's essentially the same company run by the same people.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #95
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
The market isn't relevant. The reality is subscribers dropped on all cable companies and they are raising prices on everything customer facing and want lower carriage costs from channel owners to keep revenue flat.

The thing you're not grasping is less people were watching the channel so NYRA's cost increased. It's a basic business decision.

Here's an article...

Btw... Spectrum merged with Time Warner. It's essentially the same company run by the same people.

Please don't ignore my direct question.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #96
elhelmete

Quote:

I posted in the Roku thread. Not wasting my time cutting and pasting same.

I've worked for all national networks and a half dozen cable networks and the world's largest streaming service.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #97
elhelmete

Quote:

Here's an article...

Yup.

Look into 'bundling' (I don't feel like finding a good article right now) and what happens to very low-rated channels (like NYRA) when cable providers determine bundle pricing to the consumer. Not good.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #98
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
I posted in the Roku thread. Not wasting my time cutting and pasting same.

I've worked for all national networks and a half dozen cable networks and the world's largest streaming service.
I'll go back and look there. Thank you for answering.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:46 AM   #99
AltonKelsey
Veteran

On Verizon Fios in NY , NYRA was on an SD channel that was formerly/ currently used by NYC.

There are a bunch of EMPTY slots, and these channels are not part of any paid bundle, are come with the most BASIC service.

So the bundle theory doesn't fly with me.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #100
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey
On Verizon Fios in NY , NYRA was on an SD channel that was formerly/ currently used by NYC.

There are a bunch of EMPTY slots, and these channels are not part of any paid bundle, are come with the most BASIC service.

So the bundle theory doesn't fly with me.
Sorry you don't understand.

They're not "empty slots."
Old 01-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #101
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysonpoint36
Hate to lose Jason but gabby is real nice on the eyes

.....but she always looks half asleep
Always points out how good or not a horse looks in the paddock.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #102
lamboguy

i feel bad for this Jason guy, but i would have preferred them not to fill the empty slot and give us all a break on the takeout.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #103
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Sorry you don't understand.

They're not "empty slots."
RANDOM RANT ALERT!

Many, many people don't understand. This is the scourge of present day society,and I'm talking about things beyond horse racing. People just bend over and take whatever "excuse" they get. Every time the game takes a "step back" , there will be a great many, that listen to the blather of excuses, accept them and then try to back it up with "what they heard". This garbage is a cancer through out our entire society. People can't read or write, excuses, gotta play nice, people are 100 pounds overweight, can't be mean, excuses, the government lies about foreign policy, who really gives a crap what Russia does, we lie too and play in the same cesspool now, excuses.

The quality of horse racing can almost be co related to every faucet of our society today. No realist, no right or wrong......but a butt load of smelly excuses. How anyone can be convinced that the things going on here are positive, is beyond me, but they are. Just like being fat or dumb is "politically correct" now. The internet is like the freaking land of Oz, one can learn so much just by reading how others think. Not just about horse racing but how we ended up with the leaders we have and how people will accept any garbage they are served and call it delicious. Did you hear? The president is twittering with all the boneheads...a million excuses....and they love it....God please help us all. What's even worse the other side has a million more.

I'll repeat what I said before Mike and Mike are going to "internet coverage only" in NYC, the show is produced right down the road though in Bristol.........Hey, and they fired one of then Mikes! Its a great show now.......
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #104
westny

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
Always points out how good or not a horse looks in the paddock.
Isn't that the job of the NYRA paddock analyst, Maggie Wolfendale, or is she out too after maternity leave is over?
westny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #105
SuperPickle

Quote:
how can you say its time warner when time warner became spectrum ?

Those are great stats, I would agree with you if it still was time warner but they're gone poof vanished.

Regardless if spectrum asked for a million. You pay it. How can I say that? Just off my usage of the tv they make almost $250,000. You dont think off 10,000,000 other possible viewers the channel doesn't produce a profit.

Seriously. Dead serious. Answer that question.
To answer that direct question you'll continue to bet NYRA. You're tying your handle to the channel. That's not true. You'll keep betting without it. Everyone at NYRA knows this.

Btw... you do understand that now the channel is free. Anyone who has a $25-50 streaming box can watch it. So NYRA literally saved both themselves and their customers money by taking it off cable and onto streaming.

And you can still watching it on your tv if you want.

Basically you've posted 50 complaintt posts about having to hit about 4-5 extra buttons on your remote.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply