Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-13-2003, 09:27 PM   #1
Valuist

Lost art?

I'm amazed at the number of people at the track who start their handicapping when they get to the track. Either they are too lazy to handicap beforehand, or aren't capable. Many just seem to be content playing numbers. It seems like we've spawned a nation of gimmick bettors who are adept at filling out Pic 6 tickets but who are clueless on pace shapes, par times, and post parade inspection. At the Gold Coast tourney this past weekend, I was shocked that a decent number of people hadn't done any preparation before they walked in. I guess this is what simulcasting has created; just an equine slot machine.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
Kentucky Bred

Oh I'm not surprised at all

Think of all the players who don't ever handicap at all before betting.

Kentucky Bred
Kentucky Bred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
sq764
EIG

"Either they are too lazy to handicap beforehand, or aren't capable"

I think you left out a third possibility.. Maybe they didn't have time to handicap before they got there, possibly they had to work??

If it takes someone 20 minutes to cap a race, what is the difference if they do it at home or between races?
sq764 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2003, 12:02 PM   #4
Valuist

Not all races are handicappable in 20 minutes and I would say most full fields are definitely not. I like to consult the Weekly Charts to handicap and I don't like to be encumbered by them at the track.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:04 PM   #5
alysheba88
Veteran

Valuist, I hear what you are saying but that's still not an excuse. I work during the week. If I am going to the track on a Saturday I will handicap the card Friday night (after my daughter is put to bed). From 9-1 am.

There are too many other things a player should be doing while at the track to be worried about handicapping. Watching the board, replays, the horses. Devising betting strategies (some of this work should have done the night before too, but not all as you have to adjust to the odds). Adjusting to scratches. Looking for biases.

The more prepared you are when you enter the track the better off you are. Am a big believer in that. If someone doesn't have time to prepare they simply should not go that day.
alysheba88 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2003, 12:08 PM   #6
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally posted by alysheba88 (MW)
Am a big believer in that. If someone doesn't have time to prepare they simply should not go that day.
You eliminated 90% plus of the patrons.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2003, 12:14 PM   #7
alysheba88
Veteran

Wink

Show me. I am talking to the other 10% here

I like an ignorant public. At the same time, we all need them. A game of sharps against sharps is not something I enjoy parimutuelly.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:19 PM   #8
Valuist

I also notice it seems like the majority of people at the track or simo outlet just use a simulcast program and not the Form. I don't think seeing just 4 or 5 races in a past performance is enough. Also I find the print too small to read, even with Lasik corrected 20/30 vision. Its convenient but not real thorough. Then of course you hear the obligatory "c'mon number 4, go number 4." The game has just changed a lot in the past 10 years.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:27 PM   #9
alysheba88
Veteran

Very very true. Some of the programs only contain the last race too. Amazing to me. How they will "save" $ by not buying the form or some other aid, and then throw away their $ on bets. Guys asking you how long is this race after its started and they have $ on it. Gotta love em.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:20 PM   #10
Lefty

Like "88" said, "shhh," we need these people. It's parimutuel, we need all the "dumb" money in the pool we can get. At the racebook I frequent you can get a form for $1 and get that $1 back when you turn form in. YET, several people throughout the day, 2 min before a race will rush to where the free forms are on a table and practically push ea other out of the way to see the one they want, peruse it a minute or less and rush to the "writers" to make their bet.
Gotta love 'em.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2003, 02:39 PM   #11
Handy Cap

Alls I have to say to this barrage of stupidity and nonscense is SO WHAT...

SO WHAT, would it be better for all of you so called and self proclaimed proffesionals if these people werent in the pools? For most, Horse Racing is for enjoyment and entertainment, not sitting there going gray over what a horse did 3 years ago at a particular distance in a particular class. This is probably the most egotistical, senseless post I have seen on this board.

Most people have lives. They dont have the time to sit here and ponder over if a jockey change is going to improve the horse by a hundreth of a second.

This subject is just absolutely sickening, and in my mind, these types of people are part of the reason why horse racing is a dying sport.
Handy Cap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2003, 02:47 PM   #12
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Handy Cap:

Some of the people who wager for a living, that I personally know do not handicap until they arrive at the race track and others do their work the night or weeks before. If you do it for a living it is work and it depends on your work habits.

I agree with you it is not better to hold others to the standards you set for yourself.

BTW what is different about making yourself old and gray trying to make your employer more profitable or worrying about if the jock change will benefit the horse? Not saying this is applies to you, but it seems comprable to me.

Regards,
Show me the Wire

Perception is reality
Old 07-14-2003, 02:47 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Cool This is my pet Peeve-The Form

Quote:
Originally posted by Valuist
I also notice it seems like the majority of people at the track or simo outlet just use a simulcast program and not the Form. I don't think seeing just 4 or 5 races in a past performance is enough. Also I find the print too small to read, even with Lasik corrected 20/30 vision. Its convenient but not real thorough. Then of course you hear the obligatory "c'mon number 4, go number 4." The game has just changed a lot in the past 10 years.
I watched people play with just the form from the track for years. In this day and age there is no excuse for not having a decent race form. Even with a dialup connection you can get a much better form than what the track sells. The DRF is ok but I can download the form sometimes 4 days early. Print it and have 3 days or more to work on it. Bump to a decent software program and you have tons more info than the everyday at the track player. It is an incredible advantage in my opine. Print it out on a laser printer for about 2.5 cents a sheet if you buy in bulk. Carry it around with you if you want. I have found that the waiting room at doctors office never bothers me anymore. I just take a race card with me.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:04 PM   #14
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Oh I forgot. As for me I go both ways, meaning sometimes I do it the night before and other times I do it at the track.

I use the DRF and I do not have a db, so I am flexible as to time. Time wise it only takes me on the average of 8 minutes to handicap a 10 horse race and most races have less entrants. So is it important when or where I spend that 8 minutes? It is important only if I want to play multi-win exotics, because if I do it at the track I may not have enough time to complete 4 or more races and I may end up missing an opporunity due to the poor organization of my scheduling.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality
Old 07-14-2003, 03:34 PM   #15
Valuist

Handy Cap-

You obviously harbor some inner bitterness. All I did was make a comment on changes I've perceived over the years. The fact that the post angered you must mean you took it personally. And if it does apply to you, by all means keep going to the track.

BTW, after seeing a full racebook with horsebettors and virtually nobody betting baseball, I'm not so sure horse racing is the dying sport.

Last edited by Valuist; 07-14-2003 at 03:36 PM.