Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 01-29-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
rosenowsr

Trump 5 g network

Trump considering nationalizing the 5 g network, similar to Eisenhower building

the interstate highway system. Sounds interesting, or not.
rosenowsr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
A highway is a highway is a highway.Networks, on the other hand, have been growing and evolving since Day One and if the government gets its hands on it, there goes the innovation.Not to mention the things Washington could do with it once they control the network and not too many of those things would be positive.I understand there are legitimate cyber security and cyber terrorism concerns. I'm not reflexively anti government but I vote no.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenowsr View Post
Trump considering nationalizing the 5 g network, similar to Eisenhower building

the interstate highway system. Sounds interesting, or not.
Sounds like Big Brother wanting to control more of our lives. The interstate highway system did not exist, and the private sector was never going to build it.

These networks are built by the private sector and are competitive. The feds already proved their incompetence in regulation with net neutrality. This is a solution in search of a problem, and Trump needs to keep his tiny little hands off.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Clocker

The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission says the government should stay out of this.

http://variety.com/2018/politics/new...on-1202680028/
Old 01-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
A highway is a highway is a highway.Networks, on the other hand, have been growing and evolving since Day One and if the government gets its hands on it, there goes the innovation.Not to mention the things Washington could do with it once they control the network and not too many of those things would be positive.I understand there are legitimate cyber security and cyber terrorism concerns. I'm not reflexively anti government but I vote no.
That’s why some tech pundits think it’s a good idea. Because Trump is different. In fact a few like the idea of wrestling control away from the phone companies.

Let’s hear the whole thing first.

Btw, since the 80’s we were warned by some that leaving the Internet in control of the phone companies would slow innovation (it has!) and drive the price up. If Trump can unleash 5g and do it cheaper.......why not?

Btw, those arguing that the government can’t run 5g were perfectly happy to give health care to the government?
Old 01-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

perfectly happy to give health care to the government?
And the results certainly argue against giving them anything else to run.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
Clocker

The idea is still evolving. The plan now is that the government would award a monopoly grant of spectrum to a non-carrier which would build the network and lease capacity to the carriers. It is not clear to what extent the government would fund, operate, or control this network.

In any case, it would create a monopoly, which is never a good thing for competition or customers. Also not a good thing is government involvement. I don't want the government picking the monopoly provider (a Trump crony?) or having a hand in running it (ObamaCare? Postal Service?).

Quote:
While the administration is not considering nationalizing the nation’s wireless infrastructure, officials are moving ahead with discussions to build a 5G network outside of the traditional wireless carriers, according to people familiar with the matter. These officials have met with some of the biggest technology companies to discuss a fast, nationwide rollout of a 5G network.

The plan recently discussed would have the government award a huge block of spectrum to a company outside of the traditional bidders for wireless spectrum, such as telecom giants AT&T and Verizon. The new spectrum owner would then be responsible for building the network, most likely contracting with American manufacturers for domestically made hardware and software.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...t-is-not-dead/
Old 02-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

RUN!