Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-12-2023, 10:17 PM   #46
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
If Noble Indy is at Camarero, he is almost assuredly in peril. That is the last place you want a horse to end up if you are a fan.
Bumping this because it's a good illustration of your point re Camarero.

On Saturday, a 12-year old horse, HIPOCRATES, made his 16th start of the year wherein he was beaten by 15 lengths. He's been in the money once this year, in a 5-horse field, finishing 3rd. He's finished out of the money in 18 of his last 20 races.

What's notable is that this race marked his 180th start, which I'm sure the old boy enjoyed in the 106 degree heat.

His connections need an ass-kicking.
Old 10-09-2023, 11:40 AM   #47
Cholly

When New York Thunder collapsed and died on August 26th, a realization set in: That’s it. I’m done.

Not because of that death’s unsettling visual, but its being a tipping point of cumulative experiences. I’ve been following and betting horse racing (mostly NYRA, some KY) on a daily basis for over 25-years, and on that day recognized that I have seen enough horses dieing on the track to last me for the rest of this lifetime. Six weeks have passed without watching or betting on a single race; I’m confident that my abandonment of racing is not just an idea being considered; it’s a life-style changed.

Is the sport doing right by the horses? There’s an abundance of both pro & con around this question. It’s all been hashed out seemingly ad infinitum, in public and on this PA forum. I don’t have anything unique to add to that conversation - I’m just stopping by to bid my Adieus.

I visited PA on pretty much a daily basis for 15+ years. It’s community. Sure it’s not perfect, but in main it’s community where people from widely varying backgrounds, wealth levels, and belief systems meet to exchange ideas in a (mostly) civil manner. Whether it's in regard to sports, politics, or religion, that characteristic is something there’s too little of in the world today.

I will miss it. I already do.

Cheers to All,
Cholly
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2023, 12:30 PM   #48
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly View Post
When New York Thunder collapsed and died on August 26th, a realization set in: That’s it. I’m done.

Not because of that death’s unsettling visual, but its being a tipping point of cumulative experiences. I’ve been following and betting horse racing (mostly NYRA, some KY) on a daily basis for over 25-years, and on that day recognized that I have seen enough horses dieing on the track to last me for the rest of this lifetime. Six weeks have passed without watching or betting on a single race; I’m confident that my abandonment of racing is not just an idea being considered; it’s a life-style changed.

Is the sport doing right by the horses? There’s an abundance of both pro & con around this question. It’s all been hashed out seemingly ad infinitum, in public and on this PA forum. I don’t have anything unique to add to that conversation - I’m just stopping by to bid my Adieus.

I visited PA on pretty much a daily basis for 15+ years. It’s community. Sure it’s not perfect, but in main it’s community where people from widely varying backgrounds, wealth levels, and belief systems meet to exchange ideas in a (mostly) civil manner. Whether it's in regard to sports, politics, or religion, that characteristic is something there’s too little of in the world today.

I will miss it. I already do.

Cheers to All,
Cholly
Sorry to see you leaving Cholly, but I can certainly understand.

Seeing fun horses drop on the track just flat sucks. It get it when bad trainers run bad horses into the ground, but when good people with good horses with all the right intentions are dropping, it isn't fun anymore.

Wish you all the best, and hope you still watch and enjoy a few here and there.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2023, 06:10 PM   #49
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Cholly,

I'm going to miss your contributions here. Your posts are always thoughtful, respectful and insightful.

Any alternative gambling in mind? Poker, football?

I only bet the big days and SPA Saturdays. I'll bet the Breeders Cup, but that will be it for the rest of the year.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2023, 10:54 AM   #50
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Cholly, dittos the well wishes,
Sorry to see you go.