Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #10591
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
And claim that those who do use logic do not understand it, all the while using almost every logical fallacy in the book.
The only logic you guys use is the crooked kind.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #10592
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
The only logic you guys use is the crooked kind.
Ad hominem! Q.E.D.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #10593
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Ad hominem! Q.E.D.
Truth hurts, heh?
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #10594
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 30,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
And claim that those who do use logic do not understand it, all the while using almost every logical fallacy in the book.
He reacted to me criticizing his absurd "Total Depravity" doctrine, by first defining all humans as liars and imperfect. I said so what?

Therefore according to his logic, "Total Depravity" must be true.

A=B
B=A
A=B
B=A....

Ad infinitum

And claimed I agreed with him!
__________________
The inmates have taken over the asylum.
hcap is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #10595
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
He reacted to me criticizing his absurd "Total Depravity" doctrine, by first defining all humans as liars and imperfect. I said so what?

Therefore according to his logic, "Total Depravity" must be true.

A=B
B=A
A=B
B=A....

Ad infinitum

And claimed I agreed with him!
See...you lied again. I never said you agreed with me. However, since you do AGREE that all men are liars, which makes all men imperfect, then the doctrine of Total Depravity nicely explains this universal truth. (It certainly doesn't conflict with it!) After all...you haven't come up with any explanation whatsoever to explain this phenomena -- other than to emulate Adam when he blamed God for a defective woman. And only someone totally depraved would want Adam as role model.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #10596
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 30,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
See...you lied again. I never said you agreed with me. However, since you do AGREE that all men are liars, which makes all men imperfect, then the doctrine of Total Depravity nicely explains this universal truth. (It certainly doesn't conflict with it!) After all...you haven't come up with any explanation whatsoever to explain this phenomena -- other than to emulate Adam when he blamed God for a defective woman. And only someone totally depraved would want Adam as role model.
Give up logic forever. You define Total Depravity as humans lie, and all humans are imperfect.

Then you say lying and imperfection proves Total Depravity

A=B
B=A
A=B
B=A....

Ad infinitum
__________________
The inmates have taken over the asylum.
hcap is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #10597
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Is that all you have? None of it presents any "insolvable problem."
Did the myths of Hercules, Mirtha, Donyis result in bringing great harm to the people who originated those myths, ...
They brought great harm to the people who believed those myths. The great book burning which followed the adoption of Christianity as the official Roman religion included all non-Christian books. (Jewish writings were probably considered Christian.) The penalty for possession of such books was death. Copies of Homer and the Greek plays such as Oedipus Rex, Agamemnon, etc. survive today because there were copies in Persia (beyond the Roman Empire) but the great majority are lost. It's as though today we know that Shakespeare wrote The Merry Wives of Windsor and MacBeth, but we have no copies of Hamlet, Julias Caesar, Othello, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
... as did the Jesus "myth" result in great harm to the Jews?
Did it cause great harm to the Jews? Greater than the harm Rome inflected on just about everyone who was not of the Roman nobility? What is your source for that claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Can you prove that money and power motivated the anonymous ancient writers. You're making the claim. The burden of proof is on you.
My claim is that such a scenario does not create an "insolvable problem." If you're going to quote me then try not to distort what I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And you need to address the issue of why Jews would create a myth that they knew would result in bringing great harm to their fellow Jews.
The Jews did not create the myth. The Christians did. Jews and Christians are not the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Finally, you make the claim that Jesus never existed. You need to prove that as well.
See the works of Bruno Bauer, G.A. Wells, Kenneth Humphreys, etc., etc., etc.

In any case the resurrection claim is almost 2000 years old, if not older. The burden of proof lies with the Christians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Your dumb theory doesn't pass the sniff test of Occam's Razor.
Are you seriously saying that someone coming back to life is a simpler explanation than that the whole story is made up? That's real gullibility. Do you think Elvis is alive too? That NASA faked the moon landings? That the Earth is flat?

If someone claimed that Elvis rose from the dead, and their evidence for that is that there are witnesses whom they cannot name, would you believe it?

Your claim is that any scenario counter to Christian propaganda presents "insolvable problems." The burden of proof is yours. So far you have presented none.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 06:58 PM   #10598
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Truth hurts, heh?
We've discussed the meaning of ad hominem (to the man) before. It means you have no argument.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #10599
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 30,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
Are you seriously saying that someone coming back to life is a simpler explanation than that the whole story is made up? That's real gullibility. Do you think Elvis is alive too? That NASA faked the moon landings? That the Earth is flat?

If someone claimed that Elvis rose from the dead, and their evidence for that is that there are witnesses whom they cannot name, would you believe it?

Your claim is that any scenario counter to Christian propaganda presents "insolvable problems." The burden of proof is yours. So far you have presented none.
Hold on one minute.

__________________
The inmates have taken over the asylum.
hcap is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #10600
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward
 
PaceAdvantage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Del Boca Vista
Posts: 79,562
Time for # III.

That is...if you must.
__________________
@paceadvantage | Support the site and become a today!
PaceAdvantage is online now  
Closed Thread




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2022 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.