Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
grandstander21

TVG and HRTV merge

As you all may have heard, TVG and HRTV are merging together. Now I know how all of you feel. Most racing fans are disappointed by this merge, while very few are happy about this. This merge will allow TVG to telecast races from Gulfstream Park and be on-track live at Santa Anita. I personally find this news kind of surprising, but I wanna get to the point. What do you guys think of both TVG and HRTV in general?

About TVG, I've heard most people say that they can't stand the on-air TV hosts and that they make fools of themselves. They also say they don't know how to pick horses, are always talking about themselves, and are always touting multi-race tickets that never win half of the time. More than half of people say Todd Shrupp is annoying and talks too much, and so does Simon Bray. I've also seen some people say TVG's in-house graphics are terrible.

On the other hand, most racing fans say HRTV is way better than TVG. They say the on-air personalities on HRTV actually know how to handicap and have shown a great love and knowledge of horse racing. The handicappers have very intelligent insight. Plus, they have good in-depth programming such as Against the Odds, The Horizon, The Edge, and Pursuit of the Crown/Cup.

When it comes to me, I've mostly been watching TVG for the past five years. It's because I had DirecTV which doesn't carry HRTV. I personally had no problem with TVG or their on-air talent. I didn't realize how bad people think it is. I haven't watched HRTV in a long time so it seems like I've been really missing out. I wanna know what all of you think. What are all of your opinions on both of these networks?
grandstander21 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstander21
As you all may have heard, TVG and HRTV are merging together. Now I know how all of you feel. Most racing fans are disappointed by this merge, while very few are happy about this. This merge will allow TVG to telecast races from Gulfstream Park and be on-track live at Santa Anita. I personally find this news kind of surprising, but I wanna get to the point. What do you guys think of both TVG and HRTV in general?

About TVG, I've heard most people say that they can't stand the on-air TV hosts and that they make fools of themselves. They also say they don't know how to pick horses, are always talking about themselves, and are always touting multi-race tickets that never win half of the time. More than half of people say Todd Shrupp is annoying and talks too much, and so does Simon Bray. I've also seen some people say TVG's in-house graphics are terrible.

On the other hand, most racing fans say HRTV is way better than TVG. They say the on-air personalities on HRTV actually know how to handicap and have shown a great love and knowledge of horse racing. The handicappers have very intelligent insight. Plus, they have good in-depth programming such as Against the Odds, The Horizon, The Edge, and Pursuit of the Crown/Cup.

When it comes to me, I've mostly been watching TVG for the past five years. It's because I had DirecTV which doesn't carry HRTV. I personally had no problem with TVG or their on-air talent. I didn't realize how bad people think it is. I haven't watched HRTV in a long time so it seems like I've been really missing out. I wanna know what all of you think. What are all of your opinions on both of these networks?
Same here with Directv, so i don't know much about HRTV or have even seen one second of one broadcast.

As far as TVG goes, i think that most don't mind a little joking once in a while to keep the mood light, but there's way too much clowning around, people take betting seriously and the clowning adds nothing to the pursuit of picking winners and making money.

IF they want to clown around, they should have kept the late DD program, they could have had a specific hour block where they could do all the clowning they want, otherwise, keep it serious, people are risking hard earned money on these races, this is no joking matter.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
grandstander21

Good

Well said, Stillriledup. Thanks for your opinion.
grandstander21 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Same here with Directv, so i don't know much about HRTV or have even seen one second of one broadcast.

As far as TVG goes, i think that most don't mind a little joking once in a while to keep the mood light, but there's way too much clowning around, people take betting seriously and the clowning adds nothing to the pursuit of picking winners and making money.

IF they want to clown around, they should have kept the late DD program, they could have had a specific hour block where they could do all the clowning they want, otherwise, keep it serious, people are risking hard earned money on these races, this is no joking matter.
I thought everyone who was serious about betting avoided TVG and already had HRN? At least numerous threads already covered that
Old 03-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
I thought everyone who was serious about betting avoided TVG and already had HRN? At least numerous threads already covered that
Not everyone wants to pay 50 a month when they can get the tracks they want on TVG or watch streaming video online. Also, TVG does have their good points, the interviews and you get some inside scoop from trainers, jocks and owners sometimes, so it does have its place.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #6
tcasolo

At this point I'm not happy with the merger. My local cable only offers HRTV. So I've never seen TVG unless on at a sports bar with no volume. I enjoy the live feeds and analysis from Santa Anita, and the other major tracks that HRTV has.

What I don't like going forward is that I don't get TVG and they will have all the major tracks.
tcasolo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstander21
What do you guys think of both TVG and HRTV in general?
I do not care the least about either one.. The few times I betting from home, my nyrarewards web site is more than enough for live feed, tote monitoring and bet placing..
Old 03-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #8
Tall One
Scum Bum!

At least the music has improved on Drive Time....just played some Eagles, man..
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 12:03 AM   #9
BlinkersOn

If you are watching the horse racing channels for handicapping tips...you have a problem. You should be doing your own capping. I'm really happy TVG and HRTV merged, because I didn't get to see all the tracks on TVG that I do now. I pay little attention the announcers. I'm there to see the races. Just mute the TV.
BlinkersOn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 04:32 AM   #10
letswastemoney

I don't see what's wrong with just watching the simulcast feed.

At this point, I trust very few people with handicapping advice. Certainly no one on TVG or HRTV can teach me anything new. It's a hard game. They will give out winners and losers just like everyone else on these message boards.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #11
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Virtually every track I play has streaming video on their website, although in order to get NYRA tracks I have to go through Capital City OTB's website.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 AM   #12
NY BRED
GARY

HRTV-TVG

interesting the TVG crew is relying on Caton's analysis of
how the GP races will run based upon the appearance of the
horses during the post parade.

I'll be interested to hear how Simon reacts or clashes when he returns..
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #13
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
I don't see what's wrong with just watching the simulcast feed.

At this point, I trust very few people with handicapping advice. Certainly no one on TVG or HRTV can teach me anything new. It's a hard game. They will give out winners and losers just like everyone else on these message boards.
I have both tvg and hrtv and i find hrtv to be a little bit better because in my opinion they are more geared towards the serious player.On tvg they are constantly touting their own tickets which contain the favorite in every leg,so when they do hit one it is severely underlaid!...Jeff Siegel on hrtv gives tremendous insight as does Simon Bray& Nick Hines on tvg (although the latter two can be annoying) both give a trainers view of things.When the tv noise becomes distractingto my handicapping and monitoring the tote(thru Bris supertote) i simply mute the talking heads for awhile!
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #14
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED
interesting the TVG crew is relying on Caton's analysis of
how the GP races will run based upon the appearance of the
horses during the post parade.

I'll be interested to hear how Simon reacts or clashes when he returns..

Is it me, or is Caton's delivery annoying like fingers on a chalkboard? Almost like she's yelling into the phone.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #15
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin
Is it me, or is Caton's delivery annoying like fingers on a chalkboard? Almost like she's yelling into the phone.
No matter how she sounds (I disagree with you) her job is well done. She gets straight to the point and there's no singing, dressing up like a giraffe, or other childish buffoonery when she's on the air. Now if they would only use Christina Blacker more that would make me a happy camper.

my two cents
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply