Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #46
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
all good points. However, drf.com is charging for content other providers distribute free of charge...I can find out just about anything in the industry by going to several websites. And I don't have to pay or even register
That's my point. This is a real life economics lesson in life. People go to their favorite Pizza joint or restaurant for dinner. After a while they notice the prices are increasing, the service is not as good and the product is made as cheap as possible. Its not that they don't want your business, they are dying for business but they have to cut back and charge more just to stay alive. In this case some of the "meat" can be acquired for free elsewhere. How is this good for them? They are in "ass deep" with no where to go...........one day you walk up to your Pizza joint and the door is locked and boarded up. I have a feeling they are under intense pressure just to keep the thing going. I may be wrong, but this is how it works every day. What do people expect, more for less? When there probably isn't much left? Saying that half the stuff is free elsewhere...........is not a positive for them....they are dying for you to log in and pony up. Do people really expect it to get better any time soon?
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #47
ultracapper

Anyone having a problem downloading classic PPs? I was able to get one card, but now I'm just getting "Processing your request"

Pissing me off!!!
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #48
letswastemoney

I don't know why anyone bothers with DRF.

If I want past performances, TVG reimburses every TimeformUS card purchased, as long as one bet is made.

If I want entries, results, or family history, Equibase has those.

If I want news, there are a few free racing websites besides Blood-Horse, but these days anyone can scroll down the Twitter feed and read what's happening.

Last edited by letswastemoney; 06-26-2016 at 08:03 PM.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #49
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
That's my point. This is a real life economics lesson in life. People go to their favorite Pizza joint or restaurant for dinner. After a while they notice the prices are increasing, the service is not as good and the product is made as cheap as possible. Its not that they don't want your business, they are dying for business but they have to cut back and charge more just to stay alive. In this case some of the "meat" can be acquired for free elsewhere. How is this good for them? They are in "ass deep" with no where to go...........one day you walk up to your Pizza joint and the door is locked and boarded up. I have a feeling they are under intense pressure just to keep the thing going. I may be wrong, but this is how it works every day. What do people expect, more for less? When there probably isn't much left? Saying that half the stuff is free elsewhere...........is not a positive for them....they are dying for you to log in and pony up. Do people really expect it to get better any time soon?
i agree...as more of the old school pencil and paper handicappers are either dying or getting away from horse racing they have not generated any new customers....I have tried formulator and on my computer it is slow and very time consuming not too mention more expensive than other pps
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #50
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
I would agree that DRF, along with many print media businesses transitioning to the e-world of today, is struggling to stay afloat. I'm sure it's not a trivial exercise trying to figure out what content to charge for, and how to keep the revenue stream as high as possible.

But the focus of this thread has been about problems with their website, which should at least be functional to the point of providing users a dependable and consistent browsing experience, especially in the paid content sections. I dare say DRF could find their user base would be much larger if they simply improved the site. They already have the "brand" name, plenty of fine products, and are now the one-stop shopping place for tournament play.

One would think the expensive portion of their business is generating unique content, especially when printed. The design and maintenance of the website to deliver that content should be easy and the cheaper part of the equation. But their current approach certainly doesn't encourage more traffic...
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2016, 02:33 PM   #51
horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure
Because of PA I always let the ads run on this site!

Damn all these "Pace-View" ads - LOL
horseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #52
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Rarely do I read their website but they charge me 149.95 a month now for the unlimited classic PPs which makes the 99.95 they charged 5yrs ago a steal!. I go months without using it but I like the feeling of being able to download a track whenever I want. I'll continue to pay the bastards as long as my addiction continues!!
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #53
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
Rarely do I read their website but they charge me 149.95 a month now for the unlimited classic PPs which makes the 99.95 they charged 5yrs ago a steal!. I go months without using it but I like the feeling of being able to download a track whenever I want. I'll continue to pay the bastards as long as my addiction continues!!
Belated X-mas gift for you.....
The next time you order your PP's, enter the following code for 25% off------>DRFPH25
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2016, 05:18 PM   #54
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
Do you dl enough over the course of the year to justify paying them that much?
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2016, 11:55 PM   #55
SG4

Is anyone else having a horrendous time with DRF over the last several weeks? I mainly use the entries & news pages there, and my computer is frozen constantly, I imagine from the ads (adchoice videos etc), as I continuously get script not responsive messages (happens on 3 different types of browsers). Is this something that has just infected my computer or are others having this problem? Any suggestions from the tech gurus?
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #56
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4
Is anyone else having a horrendous time with DRF over the last several weeks? I mainly use the entries & news pages there, and my computer is frozen constantly, I imagine from the ads (adchoice videos etc), as I continuously get script not responsive messages (happens on 3 different types of browsers). Is this something that has just infected my computer or are others having this problem? Any suggestions from the tech gurus?
Can only use Chrome or Firefox, forget Explorer, and still is slow and sluggish....I believe DRF's platform is constantly having problems, and they don't seem to care.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2016, 12:53 AM   #57
ebcorde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney

If I want past performances, TVG reimburses every TimeformUS card purchased, as long as one bet is made.

If I want news, there are a few free racing websites besides Blood-Horse, but these days anyone can scroll down the Twitter feed and read what's happening.

yeah but having multiple sources is a good thing. once they started taking bets
their site forgot about the reader. money is in taking bets.
DRF does free PP I think

TVG i dont get. why they need a state and the rats can detect my VPN
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2016, 12:58 AM   #58
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney

Formulator.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #59
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4
All I ever do with the DRF site is look at results and charts. I feel your pain, as my comp freezes, won't scroll, etc. I know what it is--it's those google
advertisements all over that site---they have too many! They're slow to load--they're constantly in a state of animation

I did an "Optimize Scan" of the site--on the page I was on, not the front page:

here were the problems found--Also the WooRank Scanner HUNG UP!! It actually froze and I had to reload.

I'm not revealing any "secrets" here, by the way...anyone can scan any site.

Attached Images
File Type: png drf scan.PNG (9.4 KB, 107 views)
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #60
AltonKelsey
Veteran

I've seen sites with problems like that but I seem to have tamed DRF

Using firefox , no script, ublock origin.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply