Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #91
thaskalos

The one and only Greg Miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
One thing that really frosts my tail is when people just assume the best race callers here in North America couldn't handle calling overseas.

The European and Australian callers are terrific to be sure.

But to suggest that some of our best couldn't handle 20 horse fields on winding undulating turf courses IMO just isn't accurate. We've just never been given the chance or the need hasn't arisen.

There are guys here that would be great in those scenario's.

Collmus, Durkin, Rodman, Dooley, Stone, Me. And the king of that group would certainly be Kurt Becker. That guy memorizes better and faster than anyone I've ever seen. Really amazing. He can look at a field of 14 2 yo first time starters for about 2 minutes and have them all down cold.

No doubt in my mind he could call twice as many with zero problem.

Personally I'd love to take a crack at that type of racing.

Back in the 80's when I was working at DRC we had Michigan Sires Stakes day. The racetrack was VERY wide so it could accommodate large fields.

One race was 19 horses going 6 furlongs. I called the entire field twice before the leader got to the quarter pole.

It was a blast.

Moral of story. Just because they have accents and different styles doesn't make them more fundamentally sound than our best callers over here.
I am 54 years old...and have played this game regularly since I was 18. I have never wagered on an Australian race...but this announcer is the only one who has been able to bring a lump to my throat with his race call. The coolness and the skill that he brings as the 24-horse field fans out rounding into the stretch run just takes my breath away!

MILES ahead of any other race announcer that I've ever heard...IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjjeIL13fYc

Last edited by thaskalos; 02-22-2016 at 11:03 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2016, 12:45 AM   #92
chenoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I am 54 years old...and have played this game regularly since I was 18. I have never wagered on an Australian race...but this announcer is the only one who has been able to bring a lump to my throat with his race call. The coolness and the skill that he brings as the 24-horse field fans out rounding into the stretch run just takes my breath away!

MILES ahead of any other race announcer that I've ever heard...IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjjeIL13fYc
I believe his name is GREG MILES
Old 02-23-2016, 01:33 AM   #93
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenoa

Man......that was exciting!
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2016, 02:07 AM   #94
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenoa
Yes...that was Greg Miles. I said that in the title of my post.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:39 AM   #95
sharkie187

Quote:
One thing that really frosts my tail is when people just assume the best race callers here in North America couldn't handle calling overseas.

The European and Australian callers are terrific to be sure.

But to suggest that some of our best couldn't handle 20 horse fields on winding undulating turf courses IMO just isn't accurate. We've just never been given the chance or the need hasn't arisen.

There are guys here that would be great in those scenario's.

Collmus, Durkin, Rodman, Dooley, Stone, Me. And the king of that group would certainly be Kurt Becker. That guy memorizes better and faster than anyone I've ever seen. Really amazing. He can look at a field of 14 2 yo first time starters for about 2 minutes and have them all down cold.

No doubt in my mind he could call twice as many with zero problem.

Personally I'd love to take a crack at that type of racing.

Back in the 80's when I was working at DRC we had Michigan Sires Stakes day. The racetrack was VERY wide so it could accommodate large fields.

One race was 19 horses going 6 furlongs. I called the entire field twice before the leader got to the quarter pole.

It was a blast.

Moral of story. Just because they have accents and different styles doesn't make them more fundamentally sound than our best callers over here.
Man, I miss your race calling!
Anyhow, after living in the UK for a few years, the British and Irish race callers are BORING!!! They're great at calling the large fields (Ascot's 20+ fields on the straight-away mile or Newmarket's July Course) and giving every horse a call at least a few times but there's no energy or excitment until the last 100 yards or so. Probably worse caller is Southwell's announcer!
I'm not sure if our American style of race calling would fit in their world of race calling as they describe in great details one runner "Outside in the blue and white silks and red cap thats (insert name)."
sharkie187 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2016, 02:42 AM   #96
ultracapper

While I was at YouTube there, I decided to watch all 3 of Makybe Diva's Melbourne Cup wins. In all 3, she just wasted them in the final furlong.

Love reading the comments also. Bunch of Aussies arguing is pretty funny. A lot like PA nation.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #97
olddaddy

Im obviously not a race caller but have listened and watched many races from around the world. I would think calling a Melbourne Cup at 2 miles would be easier than calling a 5f race on the straight with 20+ horses. Both instances are a moot point for a race caller at SA.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #98
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullsnation
Especially at his age. That's not ideal...
He's 61...not 85...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #99
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy
Im obviously not a race caller but have listened and watched many races from around the world. I would think calling a Melbourne Cup at 2 miles would be easier than calling a 5f race on the straight with 20+ horses. Both instances are a moot point for a race caller at SA.
Yes and no Olddaddy. 5 furlongs on a straightaway is somewhat mistake proof. Rattle off names for 35 seconds. Focus in the leaders for the final 20 seconds. Don't call the wrong winner. Pronounce what you do correctly. Who's going to call you a lair or say one thing should have been more emphasized than something else?. Chaos.

The Melbourne Cup on the other hand is an experience where the race itself can be enhanced by a great call. Tempo, cadence, clarity, accuracy, picture painting, history, crescendo.

One of the reasons the Cup is such a beloved race is IMO Mr. Miles descriptions over the years. It's become a race fans destination because of that and many other obvious factors.

For me the CUP would be about 50 times tougher and 1000 times more nerve wracking than the Ascot sprint.

Even with that I'd sure like to take a crack at calling the Melbourne Cup. Think I could nail it. Assuming I didn't faint
Old 02-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #100
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
He's 61...not 85...
Thank you!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #101
olddaddy

Quote:
Yes and no Olddaddy. 5 furlongs on a straightaway is somewhat mistake proof. Rattle off names for 35 seconds. Focus in the leaders for the final 20 seconds. Don't call the wrong winner. Pronounce what you do correctly. Who's going to call you a lair or say one thing should have been more emphasized than something else?. Chaos.

The Melbourne Cup on the other hand is an experience where the race itself can be enhanced by a great call. Tempo, cadence, clarity, accuracy, picture painting, history, crescendo.

One of the reasons the Cup is such a beloved race is IMO Mr. Miles descriptions over the years. It's become a race fans destination because of that and many other obvious factors.

For me the CUP would be about 50 times tougher and 1000 times more nerve wracking than the Ascot sprint.

Even with that I'd sure like to take a crack at calling the Melbourne Cup. Think I could nail it. Assuming I didn't faint

I was wrong, wish you could get a shot to call a Melbourne Cup or a Arc but at this stage I wish you could get a shot just to call another race.

Thanks for the expert opinion.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #102
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy
I was wrong, wish you could get a shot to call a Melbourne Cup or a Arc but at this stage I wish you could get a shot just to call another race.

Thanks for the expert opinion.
I've had shots and will have more. Looking for the perfect fit.

Will for sure call races again.

Thanks for the nice words.

V J S
Old 02-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #103
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Quote:
Thank you!
Yeah, but Tom retired at around that age. You can be burned out in this business if you commit too much. There's a reason Travis is over there as well...
Redbullsnation is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #104
fmolf

i vote for frank....i just love the calls he used to do on the fair circuit where he would impersonate someone else.they were classic and entertaining and a forward thinking racetrack would do well to hire him an give him a bit of creative license with that.
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #105
Frost king

Frank who? It is not even close, this guy today is so far superior, than anyone they have put into the booth since Trevor has retired.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply