Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

Home teams getting overrun by opposing fans.

This didnt happen decades ago. In the 1970s and 80s you didnt go to Cowboys home games and see thousands of road jerseys. Watching the Dolphins=Packers game, lots of green in the stands. Same holds true for other sports.

Times have changed. I have to admit i would be less likely to go to a "home game" and have to deal with that, i would just stay away.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
... i would be less likely to go to a "home game" and have to deal with that, i would just stay away.
What is there to deal with exactly?

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
What is there to deal with exactly?
Its less of a "good experience" if you have people sitting all around you screaming for the other team. Not as "Fun". Its more fun if you are amongst 99% of home fans. I've been to both kinds of games, its a lot better entertainment experience if the crowd is all in for the home team.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

It's part of the show, and the league likes it. While it has always been something that has happened when a popular team plays a local small-market rival, it gained recent media attention when Cowboys hosted the Texans in the battle of Texas.

Part of the reason it was mentioned was actually as a promotion and a media story covering the promotion in spite of the fact that the story was framed in a way that treated it as spontaneous and controversial.

Jerry Jones or whoever manages the media and ticket sales for the Cowboys would like to sell tickets, and absolutely LOVE the idea of a Texas game when Texans fans can come to their venue and increase the ticket revenue sales (as well as to a lesser extent the potential growth/reaching a larger base).

They sold 91,159 Tickets for the Cowboys Texans game. Their Cowboys AT&T Stadium can seat around 105K seats when fully offered.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 10-12-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Season tickets are expensive, and some folks sell off a few of them to cut back on the cost.
With StubHub its very easy.

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 10-12-2014 at 09:23 PM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Season tickets are expensive, and some folks sell off a few of them to cut back on the cost.
With StubHub its very easy.
That's what's going on. When you put your tickets on there or on the exchange..........the people that need the tickets are usually for the opposing team. If you sell a few games, the tickets you keep end up being close to free or way less than the price...the hometown people usually have tickets, fans for the other team that live in the area are looking for the "open" tickets and they will pay the premium. I've been noticing this for a while, plus we usually sell some of ours and make out kind of good on the deal.

Last edited by burnsy; 10-13-2014 at 08:54 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I sell a few Thunder games each year to pay for a good portion of the tickets. After seven years, another regular season game is no biggie to me no matter who the opponent is. I'm still baffled people pay big bucks to see the Lakers when they really stink, but they do. I'll probably sell Cleveland, Lakers, one Clippers, maybe one Spurs, and the Celtics. That will pay 50% of the cost of the tickets for the season at least.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
This didnt happen decades ago. In the 1970s and 80s you didnt go to Cowboys home games and see thousands of road jerseys. Watching the Dolphins=Packers game, lots of green in the stands. Same holds true for other sports.

Times have changed. I have to admit i would be less likely to go to a "home game" and have to deal with that, i would just stay away.
Must be a football thing.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
TJDave

Quote:
Its less of a "good experience" if you have people sitting all around you screaming for the other team. Not as "Fun". Its more fun if you are amongst 99% of home fans. I've been to both kinds of games, its a lot better entertainment experience if the crowd is all in for the home team.
I'm just the opposite. While I'm not into professional sports I love mixing it up with college fans. Attending a Rivalry like Michigan/Ohio St. or OU/Texas is great fun. Don't see why it wouldn't translate to the NFL.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
I'm just the opposite. While I'm not into professional sports I love mixing it up with college fans. Attending a Rivalry like Michigan/Ohio St. or OU/Texas is great fun. Don't see why it wouldn't translate to the NFL.
I agree.

My family has what is turning into a tradition. At least once a season we'll take in a Padres v. Giants game. Half of us root for the home team while the rest are Giant fans. And, half of the fun is the good nature fun we have, not just with all of the members of the family but with the other fans -- for both teams -- in the seats around our group.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #11
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
I agree.

My family has what is turning into a tradition. At least once a season we'll take in a Padres v. Giants game. Half of us root for the home team while the rest are Giant fans. And, half of the fun is the good nature fun we have, not just with all of the members of the family but with the other fans -- for both teams -- in the seats around our group.
Baseball is different. Etiquette requires rooting for the home team.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Having been a military guy and lived all over, I'm used to going to other arenas/stadiums and rooting for the visitor. But, I do it quietly and never act like an ass. I just enjoy the games win or lose. Only fans I've ever had a problem with was Eagles fans, guy kept pounding my back every time the Eagles scored while killing the Giants on a Monday night. I wasn't even wearing Giants stuff, just wasn't in green.

I finally turned to him and said if he touched me one more time I'd knock his !~@#$ teeth out. He asked if I was going to fight the whole section, to which I told him I'm sure I'd get my tail kicked, but I'd make sure he got what was coming to him first. We were fine after that. I think the Giants lost like 30-7 with Jim McMahon leading the Eagles.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I sell a few Thunder games each year to pay for a good portion of the tickets. After seven years, another regular season game is no biggie to me no matter who the opponent is. I'm still baffled people pay big bucks to see the Lakers when they really stink, but they do. I'll probably sell Cleveland, Lakers, one Clippers, maybe one Spurs, and the Celtics. That will pay 50% of the cost of the tickets for the season at least.
Lots of fans go to the games just to post on their Instagram and Twitter pages.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure
Lots of fans go to the games just to post on their Instagram and Twitter pages.
No doubt, I've seen people miss 85% of the game messing with phones, but of course they always want a picture taken to show they were there.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #15
arno

I visited Seattle for first time last month.
Went to Mariners game last Friday of the season.
It was fan appreciation night and the Mariners were still alive in
the playoff hunt.
There were more fans wearing Seahawks jerseys than Mariner jerseys.
Only 27,000 attended yet went to U of Washington football game and they had full house against Georiga State.
I blame the local media for this.
The newspaper and local TV stations do not cover baseball like they do football.
Forget hockey and basketball it is non issue in Seattle.
Didn't see any Emerald Downs t shirts either.

Just surprised as I grew up in NYC where the 4 major sports were covered.