Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #31
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I've been doing it all wrong, i need to get some Eucalyptus oil and snort it!
Maybe everyone will take notes. Could fool me, that's for sure. As more players come in, it'll be more fun, more interesting. Some of its hilarious. Conte's the coolest one, so far.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #32
098poi

It could have been terrible with a lot of back story about each one's life and their dreams and losses and blah, blah. I like that they show they are characters, they make a bet and then we watch the race. I like that joke I think John Conte said to the waitress when he was getting breakfast. Ive got a sure thing, lunch 12 to 1. (Something like that)
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #33
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Maybe everyone will take notes. Could fool me, that's for sure. As more players come in, it'll be more fun, more interesting. Some of its hilarious. Conte's the coolest one, so far.
Hellmers making the game look easy and not even getting excited with big bets on the line and his horses in tight finishes. I'm going to pretend i'm hellmers when i bet, i'll do some seance thing before the races, ask the spirits if i my pick has 'positive energy' and under no circumstances will i appear happy if i win.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #34
magwell

The show will be on again tonight at 1am eastern time, on Comcast channel 461 hd. I missed it at 10 pm .......
Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #35
maclr11

Hard to feel sorry for those who cant watch in HD when whole countries cant watch it in any def.
maclr11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 PM   #36
Grits

I looked to see, and yes, they have a FB page. It may tell a bit more about the show. I've not looked at the page yet, only linked it here.

https://www.facebook.com/HorsePlayersESQ
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #37
cordep17

I missed it tonight, but I've got it recording when it comes on early in the morning. Since Fairmount's last race day, I haven't bet a horse. I've got to start getting back into the grove of things. Being away for so long, I've got a level of confidence going in that I haven't had in some time. Undoubtedly though, that won't last long...I just convinced myself this game is easy.

I'm curious to see if they delve into their opinions of the race, or if it is more about the competition and smack talk. Hopefully, for the sake of the sport, it is something refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclr11
Hard to feel sorry for those who cant watch in HD when whole countries cant watch it in any def.
That's why they call them "first world problems." One can sympathize with the frustration, but isn't intended to actually feel sorry.
cordep17 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2014, 01:53 AM   #38
stringmail

The show was a little blah to me and psuedo-Trevor calls were annoying.

I enjoyed Hellmers more than the Aqueduct players. He appears to at least have some general awareness. He knows he is a loon.
stringmail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 AM   #39
Actor
Librocubicularist

The show does not have a narrator. Anyone not familiar with handicapping will not understand what's going on. It's a show about handicapping for handicappers. I had predicted the show would be a hit and increase handle at the track, but I take that back. Aimed at such a narrow audience I don't think it will last.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #40
NY BRED
GARY

HORSEPLAYERS

As I expected ,John Conte adds spice to this Show.
John had a special handicapping section in the NY Post titled The Grass in Greener,zeroing in on turf races.

I Had the pleasure of meeting him at Belmont last year,
and, "he is what he is" on this show.

I agree with the west coast statements made earlier, then
again anything is possible in Ca.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #41
pandy

I haven't seen it but it should be on 210 RCN.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #42
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclr11
Canada will get it eventually!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #43
Horseplayersbet.com

Here is a three minute clip
http://tv.esquire.com/videos/71012-h...ace-of-the-day

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #44
magwell

Well, it was sure better than "LUCK" ...........
Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #45
ManU918

This show was absolutely horrible. From the structure to the personalities it just didn't make any sense.

- Whoever was going to be involved with this show (bettors/teams of bettors) should have all been in the same location during the recording of a race day, given the same bankroll to start with, do the same as the season goes on and calculate the bankrolls at the end. Not blaming the bettors/teams but I think the writers/producers could have come up with a better concept.

- It seems like they are going to be introducing new personalities as the season goes on which makes even less sense to me. As horseplayers we all know everyday isn't a winning day. It would of been good to stick with the same group of people every episode to show the ups and downs but it also gives everyone a chance to see that some people actually do turn a nice profit over an extended period of time.

- I don't understand why they would follow Christian Hellmers at the Breeders Cup Challenge and two groups of people on Cigar Mile day. It's not like they are on the same day and the strategy of betting is completely different. Pick one or the other. Should have made it either a contest based show or a cash based show. Just like poker...Tournaments and cash could not be more different.

- The on screen personalities that were picked are horrible. Hellmers is a wack job that no one can relate to. When he made the comment at the end of the show..."To be able to earn over $150K on my brain alone...that's pretty awesome", made me sick. Yea buddy your brain alone helped you come in second in a contest... This isn't chess. I'm pretty sure the trainers, jockeys and most importantly horses had something to do with it as well.

- Conte's interaction with the waitresses was extremely awkward. I don't want to see a shorter/fatter version of Gene Simmons hit on girls at a restaurant. Hes on this show for a reason... That certainly isn't one of them.

- The diner scene with the Rotondo's was horrible. In one scene they are telling the world how they can win 100K on the Pk6 and then the next they are trying to stay alive with Unlimited Budget who was even money in the Demoiselle followed up by them getting knocked out of the pick 6 because they singled another even money favorite who lost in the Cigar Mile (Groupie Doll). That is some recipe for a 100K score. Then Rotondo Sr is screaming I think he got it... I think he got it... Did he not realize Groupie Doll was a female?

Very disappointing.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: