Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-13-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
NickWA

Does anyone recognize this jockey?

Saw this at an antique shop today and am now intrigued. Does anyone know who the jockey is? How about the track?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201013_165850.jpg (496.7 KB, 315 views)
NickWA is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
QuarterCrack

Not sure about the jockey or the track.

But the tiny little man walking on the horse's neck is J. Arthur 'Dinky' McGillicuddy. One morning at the racetrack during workouts - accounts say this happened at Saratoga, but the track in the photo is not Saratoga - a trainer found him floating in a cup of coffee, using a donut as a life preserver. The trainer was 'Fats' Sanderson III and fortunately he noticed Dinky in his cup of coffee, because there was nothing Fats liked better than a good coffee-soaked donut and he likely would have recklessly devoured the donut and Dinky's head along with it.

Anyway, the legend goes that Fats and Dinky became fast friends because it turned out that Dinky was somewhat of a horse savant and spent many years coaching them and teaching them how to be great racehorses. He would jump up onto the horse's neck and coach it through the race, shouting words of encouragement in its ear and providing instant feedback and advice. Fats utilized him for many years before sadly choking to death on the (smaller) wheel of a penny farthing in 1932. From that point, Dinky bounced around from track to track, working independently for various trainers throughout the country.

In time, Dinky started coaching jockeys as well - he had quite a way with words, you see, so this was a natural progression - and it appears that this photo was taken during this period of his career.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by QuarterCrack; 10-14-2020 at 09:11 AM.
QuarterCrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
tholl

That's hilarious!!

But thinking the track could be Arlington?
tholl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
AskinHaskin

I'm guessing the photo is probably 30-35 years old.

The track is indisputable.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #5
QuarterCrack

Looks like a track without a turf course inside it; I'll say Oaklawn.
QuarterCrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2020, 11:13 PM   #6
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickWA View Post
Saw this at an antique shop today and am now intrigued. Does anyone know who the jockey is? How about the track?
I'd be tempted to go back to the antique shop, see if the backing allows easy access to the photo without damaging anything, and if so, asking the owner if you could look at the back of the photo - maybe something's printed/inscribed there?

As far as the racecourse, looks like there's a ridgeline behind the track (making a Florida/Arlington somewhat unlikely), and a very specific topiary pattern for the bushes. That should help make it identifiable.

As far as not having a turf course - those are much later additions at a number of courses (e.g. Florida/Tampa Bay Downs)

Where is the antique shop? I'd also surmise that there's a greater probability of it being a track regionally close to the shop.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
As far as the racecourse, looks like there's a ridgeline behind the track (making a Florida/Arlington somewhat unlikely), and a very specific topiary pattern for the bushes. That should help make it identifiable.
In looking at some other photos, Keeneland would appear to have that ridgeline at least. There was no turf course there until the mid '80's.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
tholl

On the saddle towel (to the left of the #1) there are some initials. Could be a clue to the track, but I cannot make the letters out.
tholl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #9
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterCrack View Post
Not sure about the jockey or the track.

But the tiny little man walking on the horse's neck is J. Arthur 'Dinky' McGillicuddy.

He is more probably a former pro athlete.

(and not Eddie Gaedel)

The track... is obvious.

The saddlecloth does not seem to be an authentic race saddlecloth at first glance. How would you fit a 5 or an 8 there, or a 12?

Maybe it's just some horse working out, or being paraded in front of fans for some reason.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #10
theiman

I will take a stab at it. i think it might be an old shot of GGF. I think the hills in the background are Berkeley. I also think the bushes on the infield, that still might be there, today, are the path that now leads to the top of the chute.

Just guessing.
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #11
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman View Post
I will take a stab at it. i think it might be an old shot of GGF. I think the hills in the background are Berkeley. I also think the bushes on the infield, that still might be there, today, are the path that now leads to the top of the chute.

Just guessing.
I was thinking the same thing

We could both be wrong, though
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2020, 07:06 PM   #12
BarchCapper

Golden Gate Fields present day

This does look like it could be a potential match in terms of background.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 90172D48-623C-47E4-8327-CA71F26E0FB3.jpeg (104.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 10-15-2020, 07:54 PM   #13
airford1

Agua Caliente
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #14
jay68802

If it is Golden Gate, and being that old of a picture, the jockey is Russell Baze.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2020, 09:13 PM   #15
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
I'm guessing the photo is probably 30-35 years old.

The track is indisputable.
Black & white photo, I'd double your age estimae +/- 10 years. Jockey looks to go 130ish. Just my observations, I have no idea. My BIL collected horse race photos, this looks very similar to the style of a pic he had of Tom Rolfe, who goes back almost 55 years.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: