Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #16
MooseDog

Half Smoke - have you tried or considered contest play? I soured on PM betting years ago, contest play has re-kindled my enjoyment of the handicapping process.
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2020, 10:24 PM   #17
Bullet Plane

That is a good suggestion. I have often thought about it. But, it also requires a huge time investment.
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2020, 11:46 PM   #18
Bullet Plane

Just because you cut your betting way down doesn't mean you are quitting the sport. I've also cut way back on bets, but I watch as much, if not more, horse racing than ever. I also buy DRG and other products to follow the sport. The same as always. Only the betting has been greatly reduced.
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #19
burnsy
self medicated

I’m in the reduced handle boat. Some years I win , some I don’t. I consistently do well at Saratoga because I’ve lived here for 51 years. My problem with this sport is the quality (field and field size) and the cheating. We are a pharmaceutical society. At my age there’s like 4 pills I take every morning. Eye drops for my eyes. Yes, it’s wonderful that I will live longer and not go blind. But the abuse is out of this world. There’s money in it. Unfortunately, it filters right into athletics. Horse racing by appearance is now the most crooked. You feel like a damn fool when a horse you like has been doped or a race you bet comes back with a positive. When you in a betting game and there’s not trust........ you in trouble . Even the Mob knows that when they run their rackets and numbers.

Last edited by burnsy; 11-05-2020 at 09:02 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #20
bobbyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Isn't that what we used to have before the CREW teams and computer programs were granted access to pools no ordinary bettor could ever hope to compete with?
.....this.
bobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #21
airford1

Yap I have quit too. This game really sucks........Who's running in the 6th today at Keenland?
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #22
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I don't understand. You say that you easily have the means to make gigantic 2K bets...which means that your financial situation is solid. If this is the case, why do you need this game to have a "significant impact" on your finances right now? A winning player doesn't have to rush to make uncomfortably large bets.. He could put up a more modest bankroll and make smaller bets, and then increase these wagers over time, as his bankroll increases. Why rush things when you are already in a good financial position?
I think the OP's post is contradictory.
Lets assume he's got the finances to make huge bets.
If I had kind of coin, I'd be betting as a hobby. For entertainment purposes.
I'd study the charts and PP's and other data from a few tracks and make some spot plays with a few horizontal bets just to add a bit of excitement.
The bottom line is I'd make it fun.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #23
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
I don't consider myself to be all that good

I consider the really good or great players to be those who sometimes have gigantic scores in the extreme exotics

I haven't done that and don't think I have the temperament for it

I don't think I can explain it any better than I have tried to

there's just no joy anymore in winning these small amounts

it's such a small amount - what's the difference if it's real money or paper bets?
to me - no difference

I'm guessing you pound a lot of races and are bored with hitting $10 exactas. Ok, fine.
You hit a lot of chalky winners.
First, decide why you're in this. After that, step back, take a deep breath and think "how about I change my model?".....Instead of making a whole bunch of plays and hitting chalk.....Back off. Look for spot plays. Throw in a few horizontal bets to spice up things a bit. Have some fun.....
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #24
stlseeeek

I don't blame ya, the sport in general has become a joke.
stlseeeek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: