Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-21-2022, 11:39 AM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Last Sunday I was driving south of Watertown NY and came upon a "wind farm" where there were dozens and dozens of huge windmills. Not a single windmill was moving! My 10 year old was with me and I told her to remember this the next time someone tries to convince her of the virtues of wind energy.
The people who installed them: Quixotic
Old 07-21-2022, 11:42 AM   #17
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Some facts.
The average American drives 1183 miles each month.
To travel that distance an electric car uses 394 KwH of electricity.
Although costs vary across the nation, the typical household pays 14 cents per KWH for electricity. So, the coat of driving an electric car for one month is $55.00

Meanwhile, my Rav 4 gets about 23 mpg here in the city. Gasoline is currently $5.59 a gallon. Therefore, my cost for a month of driving is $287.00. I would save $232.00 a month if I had an electric car.

Producing 394 KWH of electricity requires 30 gallons of oil- the equivalent of 9 gallons of refined gasoline.
Driving 1183 miles ina conventional automobile requires 51 gallons of gasoline.

Other than the bolded, which gets a WTF. Pretty much no math needed, you can't find one case where it isn't far cheaper per fill up to drive electric. I would challenge someone to find a scenario where gasoline was cheaper. Even if you turned back the clock when everyone was on Covid lock down and use California electricity and gasoline prices, electricity was still cheaper even those who were heavy tier 5 users under the wrath of SCE.

Heavy users can pay over $.40 per KWH in California and it doesn't
take a lot to get there.
Tier 1 is less than national average, but that is about the usage of one person in a bachelor apartment.

Electric cars are dirt cheap to operate until they breakdown, and god help you if the main battery dies. They will improve as time marches on, but currently a person without a decent
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2022, 07:04 PM   #18
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Nothing "could" about it. Disposal of dead batteries will be a huge problem, and take a guess who will pay for it. Here's a wild one: Perhaps the same people who currently pay for tire disposal? Consumers bear all costs.
And when it is time for other cars they will be pushing, there will still be gas powered ones on the road, a shell game.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2022, 07:05 PM   #19
mostpost

Quote:
Last Sunday I was driving south of Watertown NY and came upon a "wind farm" where there were dozens and dozens of huge windmills. Not a single windmill was moving! My 10 year old was with me and I told her to remember this the next time someone tries to convince her of the virtues of wind energy.
So you think that because there was no wind during the few minutes you drove past the wind farm, that there was never any wind. Not true.

https://www.windfinder.com/report/watertown

Those turbines require wind speeds in excess of 7 mph to produce electricity. That occurs more often than not in that area. The good news is your daughter will probably turn out much smarter than you.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:12 PM   #20
tbwinner

Electric car may be "cheaper" to run but certainly not cheaper upfront. And then factor in replacing a battery --- you'll come out way behind versus gas.

It's just an illusion

And that's coming from someone who has a plug-in hybrid. I didn't get it for saving gas -- I only got mine for the 7500 fed tax credit and ability to flip it at a profit in a few months
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2022, 09:32 PM   #21
davew

Pete is a rare double whammy in the democrat party, he is intelligent and he is eloquent. This is the reason he will be the 'next' democrat elected president.

His road plan is genius. Will get rid of asphalt because most people identify it as black which is 1) racist and 2) petroleum based.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2022, 02:18 PM   #22
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
There is only one tiny, teenie weenie, itsy witsy problem with a solar solution: Most people work during the day when the sun is shinin' down on this little green planet. So, when they return home in the evening to recharge their greenie vehicles for the next day commute to their jobs, there will be little or no sunlight left to fully charge the batteries. But solar would be a good solution for vampires, grave robbers and other night workers.

My post was just stating how much it would cost to make sure your electric vehicle did not impact the grid, nothing more, nothing less. During the day that would give back what an electric vehicle would take to charge for people charging during peak hours. There are a lot of people that work off hours and would charge cars during the day. I think the viability of a high percentage of electric vehicles on the road is a long way off. Same with solar energy, it just takes up too much space.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:32 AM   #23
davew

gas pain will give more benefit for those that can access electric vehicles

davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 05:18 AM   #24
fast4522

When I drive my gasoline car you will not see me stopping to help a battery run car. They work so good in the cold, when the scale of people driving them peaks you will see all of the things conveniently not said about them.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:26 PM   #25
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
gas pain will give more benefit for those that can access electric vehicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT3TUUDwIuA

People that push green energy or electric vehicles don't like telling the whole story, they especially don't like it when you start throwing math at them related to the impact on the electric grid of wide spread electric vehicle use,
and eliminating heating with natural gas.

Gay Pete obviously was unprepared to answer questions, all he had was useless liberal political talking points. Quite the embarrassment, to say the least. That rep from Kentucky was like a great white shark eating a baby seal.

Seriously, are any of Biden's appointees even close to being competent?
Old 08-08-2022, 02:22 PM   #26
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Seriously, are any of Biden's appointees even close to being competent?
No... I think that is a prerequisite for getting a job with the Briben Administration. Incompetence is king... and what Democrats consider presidential.

Exhibit A

Need I say more...
Old 08-08-2022, 04:03 PM   #27
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
So you think that because there was no wind during the few minutes you drove past the wind farm, that there was never any wind. Not true.

https://www.windfinder.com/report/watertown

Those turbines require wind speeds in excess of 7 mph to produce electricity. That occurs more often than not in that area. The good news is your daughter will probably turn out much smarter than you.
I'm quite sure there is wind in Watertown Musty what a dumb thing to say, even for you, that I would think "there was never any wind" there. The unreliability of wind energy however, wreaks havoc on the power grid, something you don't understand.

There is a large wind farm south of Canandaigua Lake, I have seen it at least three times a year for the last 7 years and about a dozen times before that. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen any of the windmills turning.

I go past two very large windmills in the town of Ontario NY at least once a month that power(ed) a machine shop/injection molding facility. One windmill has not turned in many years, the second has not turned in about a year and when it did, it was about 50/50 when it would be turning. Last week, one of them was being dismantled.

When you take away the government subsidies and take into account the initial cost, relatively short lifespan and maintenance of windmills, they are not cost effective on a large scale at this time. Perhaps some day they will be but not in your lifetime.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 04:09 PM   #28
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
No... I think that is a prerequisite for getting a job with the Briben Administration. Incompetence is king... and what Democrats consider presidential.

Exhibit A

Need I say more...
Every single thing each policital party reverses when their President is sworn in, the division in our country is vast, the left is hellbent in making a commie utopia and forcing it upon everyone.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:34 PM   #29
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I'm quite sure there is wind in Watertown Musty what a dumb thing to say, even for you, that I would think "there was never any wind" there. The unreliability of wind energy however, wreaks havoc on the power grid, something you don't understand.

There is a large wind farm south of Canandaigua Lake, I have seen it at least three times a year for the last 7 years and about a dozen times before that. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen any of the windmills turning.

I go past two very large windmills in the town of Ontario NY at least once a month that power(ed) a machine shop/injection molding facility. One windmill has not turned in many years, the second has not turned in about a year and when it did, it was about 50/50 when it would be turning. Last week, one of them was being dismantled.

When you take away the government subsidies and take into account the initial cost, relatively short lifespan and maintenance of windmills, they are not cost effective on a large scale at this time. Perhaps some day they will be but not in your lifetime.

The people who try to sell the masses on wind energy always fail to mention those things. The only place I ever got a straight answer on the cost of windmill maintenance was taking a tour of the San Gorgonio Pass Windmill Farm. Mind you that operation is now dated, but the only basic improvement made on windmills in the last 30+ years is building them bigger which does get more production out of a unit, but it grows in size at the same rate output increases. Somethings you are up against the laws of physics, like using a rotational device to generate electricity.

The reasons for the windmills not spinning are too little wind, too much wind, down for maintenance or taken off line for replacement. Yes, too much wind, they can only run so fast for safety reasons among other things. Basically the windmill creates electricity while fighting a magnetic drag. The big maintenance cost is the braking system to stop over speed.
If wind is too high it is too hard on the braking system so they just shut the windmill down.

I used to manufacture and sell dual alternator kits, a windmill is similar to
an auto mobile alternator or generator just on a larger scale. I only read a normal amount, but put my hands on a lot of things.