Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 12-09-2023, 06:48 AM   #1
Half Smoke

Almost scammed

unremoveable popup came on my screen indicating a security problem with perfect Microsoft logo telling me to call an 855 no. to get the problem fixed

I actually did call - foolishly - I should have known right away

I talked to the scammer - had me download something which I later removed and finally realized the whole thing was a scam

they were going to mess up my computer and then get my credit card and charge me to fix it

I hung up and rebooted and my old PC is now running fine

again, I was foolish to let it go this far - wasn't thinking clearly at the time

Old 12-09-2023, 07:42 AM   #2
Dave Schwartz

If you clicked it, you may have installed more than you think.

For example, a keyboard logger.

Your system could LOOK like it's running fine but be sending back every keystroke you type.

Get your system to a professional.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2023, 08:02 AM   #3
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
unremoveable popup came on my screen indicating a security problem with perfect Microsoft logo telling me to call an 855 no. to get the problem fixed

I actually did call - foolishly - I should have known right away

I talked to the scammer - had me download something which I later removed and finally realized the whole thing was a scam

they were going to mess up my computer and then get my credit card and charge me to fix it

I hung up and rebooted and my old PC is now running fine

again, I was foolish to let it go this far - wasn't thinking clearly at the time

And you thought by "quit gambling" your money was safe....
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2023, 08:25 AM   #4
davew

A couple years ago I walked in on my dad who was in the process doing the same thing. They had already got remote access. The guy was talking like he lived in India. The guy said he was from Microsoft and going to fix it for only $569... I told him he was not, hung up, and unplugged the computer. I started the computer and ran Malwarebytes and all was good I think (not sure if they added a keystroke tracker).

I am pretty sure parents got it because they have msn.com as a home page and many of the links there are to scams ....
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2023, 09:12 AM   #5
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
A couple years ago I walked in on my dad who was in the process doing the same thing. They had already got remote access. The guy was talking like he lived in India. The guy said he was from Microsoft and going to fix it for only $569... I told him he was not, hung up, and unplugged the computer. I started the computer and ran Malwarebytes and all was good I think (not sure if they added a keystroke tracker).

I am pretty sure parents got it because they have msn.com as a home page and many of the links there are to scams ....
Yep....the older , computer illiterate, ones are the most vulnerable .....

Almost every week my father in law was in need to be watched

Took a long while for him to finally get it.....
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

If I were you I would go to Windows administrative tools, then system configuration, then task manager, and look to see if anything fishy looking is running, if not you should be ok. You can Goggle the item to see what it is.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2023, 02:16 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:

How long ago was that? I have MSN as a home page because of an old Hotmail e-mail address and they are the only place I have found that does not keep changing my weather location. I only click on the lead stories so I can comment on the poor journalism and liberal propaganda they post. I never noticed any scam links, but I don't click on links inside of articles or scroll down on the front page. They post a lot of articles that you can tell are 100% made up, and or factually incorrect. Worse yet they recycle them

and just change the time stamp. They have up to 3 articles a day bashing white people and try to project we are all living in the Jim Crow south. They are nothing but a far left BS mouth piece these days. Hard to believe they were once respectable. Anyone who reads and believes what they post is dumber because of it.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:37 AM   #8
davew

it was 2-3 years ago ... msn had all those box links on the right side then and boxes filled with advertisements.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2023, 11:13 AM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
it was 2-3 years ago ... msn had all those box links on the right side then and boxes filled with advertisements.

I use adblocker on MSN, but it still doesn't get them all.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: