Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-14-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
DerbyJackpot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0 DerbyJackpot has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Today Was The Biggest Day In Horse Racing!

Now I know bunch of the members on here are old timers. Whom I respect 100%... But I want to give you a 20 age group opinion on the news today.


They ruled today Banning Sports Betting was unconstitutional. This now gives rights to horse tracks to introduce sports betting at the tracks. To conclude this gives Horse Tracks many routes to improve. I'll explain why....

1.) Youth Bettors like myself see a better percentage ROI on sports betting. You can play a lock on a basketball or football game compared to playing a 5 horse field with likely chances the 4/5 shot wins... So introducing Sports Betting is going to bring youth bettors to the horse track. 100% certain

2.) So how do we get them to play horse races? Its simple! We introduce large horse fields(racing secretaries can do this if they get off there ass), screw the 5 horse fields its a losing money fight.
- Introduce More Jackpot Wagers With A Max of $50 wagered on the bet. This gets rid of the whales. Young bettors will wager on bets they see value in(I and My Drinking Buddies Do This; All 20 to 27yo) Take for example Fantasy Sports, Spend $10 to win $500,000....

3.) Get rid of the Live Odds and Probables 10 to 20 minutes before Post. This will get rid of your $2 to $20 bettors betting on the favorite. This will diversify the odds

4.) Make it where you can buy a voucher at the track. Download a app... Enter in a passcode, and upload that money onto an app and wager on your phone. Youth hate waiting in lines.

5.) Keep beer affordable, free programs, free admission


This is the biggest opportunity for the horse racing industry to revive itself to the gamblers... For a long time we have taken care of the horsemen with a welfare logic. These horsemen have no done a damn thing for horse racing. Screw them is my logic here. Take care of your customers

Thanks for reading guys.
DerbyJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
paddy79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 61
Rep Power: 3 paddy79 is on a distinguished road
Potentially but I think the game is just too bent in America to take off. I see so many shady things happen in a lot of races. The stewards seem to be in on some of it too. There just isn't enough regulation. I think youth bettors would rather bet on basketball, hockey, baseball, football etc.
paddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
AlsoEligible
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 145
Rep Power: 4 AlsoEligible is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyJackpot View Post
4.) Make it where you can buy a voucher at the track. Download a app... Enter in a passcode, and upload that money onto an app and wager on your phone. Youth hate waiting in lines.
Just FYI, a lot of tracks already have this under a variety of names - MBet, Digital Link, or FastBet Mobile depending on the tote system being used.

You go to a teller and buy a "day account", and you're given a slip of paper with an account number and PIN. Use that to log into the app (or in most cases, a mobile site with no download needed) and bet throughout the day. When finished, you either take that slip of paper to a teller to cash it out, or put it into a self-serve where it's automatically turned into a voucher.

Tracks generally don't market it much because it does peanuts in handle (even on big days), but it is available. Current patrons simply don't want to use it for whatever reason, but maybe that will change with an influx of younger bettors.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
DerbyJackpot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0 DerbyJackpot has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I 100% agree with everything you said... But my theory is this... In present tense when i get off work from coal mines on a Friday Night I'll ride up to Ellis Park and bet on simulcasting and have a few beers. Their is two people in my age group that go with me every Friday night...

Now let's say Sports Betting was allowed... Instead of bringing two people I could bring 10 people. In between a game they see a Race with a $100,000 guaranteed Jackpot. These same sports bettors are going to play that race because they see value..... Also these same people are not going to play an exotic in this case an exacta and spend $4 to get $7 on that exacta. Its a losing proposition. Young bettors are smarter then you think they are.


Need to work on decreasing takeouts.... 25% on average on exotics is highway robbery...


Like we have the doors wide open to improve this sport, but instead of talking we need to do something.
DerbyJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
Racetrack Playa
regular user
 
Racetrack Playa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 28,177
Rep Power: 33 Racetrack Playa is on a distinguished road
while we are at it can we Eighty-Six juvenile racing and make the DERBY for 4yo's
__________________
donut believe the hype...
Racetrack Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
DerbyJackpot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0 DerbyJackpot has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
Just FYI, a lot of tracks already have this under a variety of names - MBet, Digital Link, or FastBet Mobile depending on the tote system being used.

You go to a teller and buy a "day account", and you're given a slip of paper with an account number and PIN. Use that to log into the app (or in most cases, a mobile site with no download needed) and bet throughout the day. When finished, you either take that slip of paper to a teller to cash it out, or put it into a self-serve where it's automatically turned into a voucher.

Tracks generally don't market it much because it does peanuts in handle (even on big days), but it is available. Current patrons simply don't want to use it for whatever reason, but maybe that will change with an influx of younger bettors.
Its unpopular because they don't advertise it. And I'm telling you Sports Betting is going to be huge for Horse Racing. Trust me. Its going to inject a new audience that is badly needed into the sport.
DerbyJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
CincyHorseplayer
Registered User
 
CincyHorseplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cincinnati,Ohio
Posts: 5,277
Rep Power: 19 CincyHorseplayer is a jewel in the roughCincyHorseplayer is a jewel in the roughCincyHorseplayer is a jewel in the roughCincyHorseplayer is a jewel in the rough
"Youth Bettors like myself see a better percentage ROI on sports betting."

That's pretty funny. This game isn't that hard. You have to pick your spots. If sports betting is perceived as valuable that is pathetic!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #8
Valuist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: East Bay
Posts: 16,083
Rep Power: 33 Valuist will become famous soon enoughValuist will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyJackpot View Post
Now I know bunch of the members on here are old timers. Whom I respect 100%... But I want to give you a 20 age group opinion on the news today.


They ruled today Banning Sports Betting was unconstitutional. This now gives rights to horse tracks to introduce sports betting at the tracks. To conclude this gives Horse Tracks many routes to improve. I'll explain why....

1.) Youth Bettors like myself see a better percentage ROI on sports betting. You can play a lock on a basketball or football game compared to playing a 5 horse field with likely chances the 4/5 shot wins... So introducing Sports Betting is going to bring youth bettors to the horse track. 100% certain

2.) So how do we get them to play horse races? Its simple! We introduce large horse fields(racing secretaries can do this if they get off there ass), screw the 5 horse fields its a losing money fight.
- Introduce More Jackpot Wagers With A Max of $50 wagered on the bet. This gets rid of the whales. Young bettors will wager on bets they see value in(I and My Drinking Buddies Do This; All 20 to 27yo) Take for example Fantasy Sports, Spend $10 to win $500,000....

3.) Get rid of the Live Odds and Probables 10 to 20 minutes before Post. This will get rid of your $2 to $20 bettors betting on the favorite. This will diversify the odds

4.) Make it where you can buy a voucher at the track. Download a app... Enter in a passcode, and upload that money onto an app and wager on your phone. Youth hate waiting in lines.

5.) Keep beer affordable, free programs, free admission


This is the biggest opportunity for the horse racing industry to revive itself to the gamblers... For a long time we have taken care of the horsemen with a welfare logic. These horsemen have no done a damn thing for horse racing. Screw them is my logic here. Take care of your customers

Thanks for reading guys.
There aren't too many "locks" in sports betting. That is what the spread is about; it is the factor that evens things out. The guys making the lines aren't stupid. They know if they aren't sharp, the wise guys will bury them.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #9
DerbyJackpot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0 DerbyJackpot has a little shameless behaviour in the past
How you figure?

You have a 50/50 shot regardless on a sports bet, and with the edge of stats etc its a much better investment then wagering on a horse race + takeout


I mean a parlay bet is much better wager then a Pick 3, 4, or 5 again + takeout
DerbyJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #10
DerbyJackpot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0 DerbyJackpot has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
"Youth Bettors like myself see a better percentage ROI on sports betting."

That's pretty funny. This game isn't that hard. You have to pick your spots. If sports betting is perceived as valuable that is pathetic!
All day long on ROI with sports betting over horse racing...


"This Game Isn't That Hard"? Come on now... In regards to the majority of young horse players you are walking out the door a loser
DerbyJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
Denny
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 621
Rep Power: 0 Denny will become famous soon enough
I think the ruling is fantastic.
Can't wait till I'm able to make a sports bet at my OTB in New York.
I think it's going to pump new blood into the sport of horseracing by bringing in a whole new audience - young and old.

edit - I love the prospect of people crowding into the place with a lot more excitement in the air - more than just horses racing around in a circle with so much dead-time between races.

Denny - a senior player of horses for more than 40 years

Last edited by Denny; 05-14-2018 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added something
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #12
DerbyJackpot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0 DerbyJackpot has a little shameless behaviour in the past
You are thinking outside the box! Thank you...

If there was a sports book in your city or close and your favorite team was about to play. Where would you go?

Would you head to the sports book, includes beer and food, and probably with exciting action around you, stay home, or go to a restaurant or bar(no book)?


I'd be heading to the sports book and lay money and kick back in an awesome atmosphere with others rooting on the game.

First I'd lay my bet. Then head to bar and buy two beers... Shoot over and buy a racing program... Find a seat... Watch the game...During commericals Id look at the program for the upcoming race and run to the teller and place a bet...Watch the horse race...When done...Go back to game...Then wager on a horse race or two during halftime.

This is how young bettors would interact at the horse track with a sports book.

There is nothing but positives with this because you are getting them interested in horse racing.

I think its amazing, and find it perfect to get my age group back into it.

Plus instead of drawing in huge crowds for Derby, Preakness, and Belmont. You'd also draw huge crowds during NFL Playoffs, Super Bowl, NBA Playoffs and Championship, World Series, When The College of Choice in Basketball and Football are playing, NCAA Championships, Daytona 500....

Don't forget to adjust the sports book atmosphere to young bettors, because this would be the majority...

I'd love to be running a track with a sports book coming in because you have so many options of driving in revenue with a little bit of marketing and advertising. Something horse racing sucks at.
DerbyJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #13
onefast99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,812
Rep Power: 16 onefast99 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I think the ruling is fantastic.
Can't wait till I'm able to make a sports bet at my OTB in New York.
I think it's going to pump new blood into the sport of horseracing by bringing in a whole new audience - young and old.

edit - I love the prospect of people crowding into the place with a lot more excitement in the air - more than just horses racing around in a circle with so much dead-time between races.

Denny - a senior player of horses for more than 40 years
Bingo! The theory behind sports wagering is many people will come to one area and be rooting for the team they bet on or rooting against the team they bet against and this will cause more people to want to partake. Monmouth Park is looking to create a buffalo wild wings type atmosphere with the ability to wager and offer better food! MP will be rocking once they begin accepting sports wagering.
__________________
Monmouth Park...keep racing in NJ!
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #14
DerbyJackpot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0 DerbyJackpot has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99 View Post
Bingo! The theory behind sports wagering is many people will come to one area and be rooting for the team they bet on or rooting against the team they bet against and this will cause more people to want to partake. Monmouth Park is looking to create a buffalo wild wings type atmosphere with the ability to wager and offer better food! MP will be rocking once they begin accepting sports wagering.
Agreed! I see no negatives with bringing more people to the track... Regardless you are creating a much more exciting atmosphere which wants people to come back...

How many times do you walk into a track to wager on simulcasting? You see 80% white old men, a few young degenerate thugs asking for money cause they have a big winner today, or the couples that bring their kids with them and let them run wild lol.... That atmosphere makes people stay home...


Having a exciting crowd leaves a lasting memory.
DerbyJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #15
thaskalos
Anarchist
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 21,055
Rep Power: 42 thaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to behold
You guys DO realize that sports betting will be allowed at betting outlets OUTSIDE of the track...RIGHT? I mean...a "normal" guy who just wants to place a bet on his favorite team and gulp down a couple of beers won't have to drive out to a track or an OTB in order to get this done.
__________________
"History would be a wonderful thing...if it were only true."
-- Leo Tolstoy
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
What is your most successful handicapping trait/tool?
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2018 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.