Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 02-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #16
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otealfr View Post
I sure hope that you are right, Acorn.
I just sent for his whole "enchilada" AS Dr Wayne Dyer likes to say when he sales the complete package of something that his had produced,because I will hate to call you out in your offering of buying it back! LOL
Thanks and have a nice day!
I bought it on Thaskalos' word alone. Sometimes you have to count the votes and other times you have to weigh them.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:25 AM   #17
acorn54

funny i'm still here .
i don't bet much anymore. and it was 6 years ago. the world changes and people with it. seems like horseracing was a whole different reality than what it is today. smaller fields. low priced horses are all i can find nowadays. well have a blast with the package. i always got a kick out of trying a new way of picking the horses i was going to bet on. i am 62 years young now, caught pony fever in 1978 and from what i can recall 99% of those years i came out losing at the end of the year. fortunately i was and am a 2 dollar to win bettor. i was never one to come by money easily. like a co-worker i ran into said "i find making money so hard, i don't want to spend it when i get it." i was and am a "saver", and used only thrill money on gambling. ta ta
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Acorn,

It is no secret that the vast majority of the horse related methods offered through the mail, or the internet, are not worth the paper they are printed on...and I should know.

I have spent THOUSANDS over the years, on every serious-sounding handicapping system or method available...and I can count the worthwhile ones with the fingers of ONE hand.

I bought Tim Maas's products a couple of years ago, and I was so impressed by the depth of his knowledge and the clarity of his presentation...that I am willing to do something that I have never done before.

If you are displeased in any way with his OVERLAY HANDICAPPING package, I will personally buy it back from you...no questions asked.

And let me hasten to add - for fear that I might be accused of being Tim Maas's "shill" - that I have NEVER communicated with the man in any way...other than the one time I sent him an email, congratulating him on his work.

I figured it was the least I could do...

Why am I endorsing this man's products so enthusiastically?

Because there are damned few "good guys" in the handicapping information business...and they deserve more recognition than they currently get!
Well said.
My son has used Tim's package for a number of years.
This past Xmas he gave me Tim's writings.
The concepts that Tim presents are sound and are excellent tools for any serious student of the game.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #19
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Well said.
My son has used Tim's package for a number of years.
This past Xmas he gave me Tim's writings.
The concepts that Tim presents are sound and are excellent tools for any serious student of the game.
People buy handicapping books expecting to find "ready-made", fully-developed methods that they can implement "as-is" right from the start. I don't believe that such methods -- if they exist at all -- are sold for the price of a book. What I look for are offerings that stretch one's mind in original ways...getting him to look at the old game with a new set of eyes.

The author passes the baton to the reader, so to speak...and then the reader takes it the rest of the way, if he is able.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #20
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
People buy handicapping books expecting to find "ready-made", fully-developed methods that they can implement "as-is" right from the start. I don't believe that such methods -- if they exist at all -- are sold for the price of a book. What I look for are offerings that stretch one's mind in original ways...getting him to look at the old game with a new set of eyes.

The author passes the baton to the reader, so to speak...and then the reader takes it the rest of the way, if he is able.
I wonder. If the author of a handicapping book were to state in chapter one that he was not offering a ready-made, fully-developed method but instead was passing the baton to the reader would it sell?
Old 03-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #21
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I wonder. If the author of a handicapping book were to state in chapter one that he was not offering a ready-made, fully-developed method but instead was passing the baton to the reader would it sell?
The exaggeration sells better than the truth.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #22
acorn54

i am more familiar with technical analysis with reading stock charts than i am with horse racing. it is a fact of life that quite a few few people are well versed in this science that more often that not they show a healthy return, yearly. didn't the late dick schmidt move on to commodities trading from horseracing?
i am quite surprised its not been mentioned before, my here to fore comments, about the subject of technical analysis. i will not promote any persons or books on the subject, here as i don't think it proper but anyone cam pm me and i 'd be happy to refer them to some stuff and services that are reputable and well known in their fields.
my point being that people do write books that if followed can make them money, it's a non-issue.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #23
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54 View Post
i am more familiar with technical analysis with reading stock charts than i am with horse racing. it is a fact of life that quite a few few people are well versed in this science that more often that not they show a healthy return, yearly. didn't the late dick schmidt move on to commodities trading from horseracing?
i am quite surprised its not been mentioned before, my here to fore comments, about the subject of technical analysis. i will not promote any persons or books on the subject, here as i don't think it proper but anyone cam pm me and i 'd be happy to refer them to some stuff and services that are reputable and well known in their fields.
my point being that people do write books that if followed can make them money, it's a non-issue.
Have you encountered a horse racing book that falls under this description?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #24
acorn54

Quote:
Have you encountered a horse racing book that falls under this description?
good question.
tim maas/fred davis type stats are two. i moved on to "greener" pastures, firstly i find it "easier and less work to profit in the financial markets, than the parimutuel conditions of horserace betting.
secondly, the tax advantages, the u.s. tax code encourages investing in the financial markets and discourages the arena of horseracing. you have in the u.s. triple taxation on any gains in horseracing. firstly there is the take, secondly there is dime breakage, and thirdly there is capital gains.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:11 AM   #25
AltonKelsey
Veteran

You forgot that losses CANNOT be deducted but gains are taxed at your top rate.

The taxation on racetrack winnings is medieval.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #26
acorn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
You forgot that losses CANNOT be deducted but gains are taxed at your top rate.

The taxation on racetrack winnings is medieval.
reflects the puritan ethic and calvinistic philosophy that this country was founded upon