Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 11-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
Actor
Librocubicularist

Computer experiment

Every computer I've bought in the last few years (around four I think) came loaded with junk software. I've always wondered if I could take a new computer and just delete all the junk software before I start using it. The Geek squad at Best Buy has told me definitely not to do it. My son in law, who is a geek, says I can delete everything except the operating system and it will still work.

Well, I'm going to find out. I ordered a cheap refurbished computer on line. It's supposed to be delivered on the 29th. The first thing I'll do with it will be to delete all the software that comes with it. If it survives, great! If not then I got my answer for $65 and I'll try to install Linux on it.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
Every computer I've bought in the last few years (around four I think) came loaded with junk software. I've always wondered if I could take a new computer and just delete all the junk software before I start using it. The Geek squad at Best Buy has told me definitely not to do it. My son in law, who is a geek, says I can delete everything except the operating system and it will still work.

Well, I'm going to find out. I ordered a cheap refurbished computer on line. It's supposed to be delivered on the 29th. The first thing I'll do with it will be to delete all the software that comes with it. If it survives, great! If not then I got my answer for $65 and I'll try to install Linux on it.
Low level format it and reinstall OS. Installing Linux is a breeze in our-days.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
upthecreek

Quote:

Where did you find a refurb for $65 may I ask?
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
GameTheory

Quote:
Of course you can. There is no reason in the world to keep crap you don't want. Even if it is stuff you want in theory in some form (security & anti-virus software), the bundled stuff is usually crap and should be replaced with something better. (Of course the best thing is not to buy a computer with pre-installed anything but just to build what you want -- easy with a desktop computer but laptops always come with something installed.) But if you break your computer it isn't my fault -- you do need some knowledge (but this is how you get it!).

However, if you do a total fresh install, there may be certain drivers you have to install again that probably came on a system disk (better yet download the latest ones) for chipsets on the motherboard to get best performance, or certain weird system devices. But Windows 10 and probably the latest Linux versions are pretty good about this (installing drivers automatically) and so probably you don't need to do anything extra.
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:

I've ordered my last two from the Microsoft Store. There's no crapware on it. You might find cheaper computers elsewhere but they all bundle crapware to cut their costs. To me it's worth the money to have a lean and clean machine from the start. https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/home
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
upthecreek

I bought a Dell refurb laptop from Blair Technology and it didn't come with any "crapware"
Old 11-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
DeltaLover

Recently bought a high profile computer from http://www.microcenter.com. I went to the their store, picked all the parts I needed and had them assembly the box without no operating system which I installed myself. The cost was very reasonable (in the range of $1,800 for an i7 four core, 64GB RAM, 1Terra SSD including assembly labor) and the quality very high. I strongly suggest them...
Old 11-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #8
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
Where did you find a refurb for $65 may I ask?
Best Buy online.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #9
Longshot6977

Actor, do you mean to actually delete everything except the OS? Do you know which folders are still needed to run the OS?
Or do you mean to use a free program like PC Decrapifier?

Last edited by Longshot6977; 11-15-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
upthecreek

Quote:
Best Buy online.
Thanks
Old 11-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #11
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977
Actor, do you mean to actually delete everything except the OS? Do you know which folders are still needed to run the OS?
Or do you mean to use a free program like PC Decrapifier?
I've never heard of PC Decrapifier but not that I have I think I'll try that first. I do mean to delete everything except the OS. I hope to find out what is needed to run the OS.

I would expect the OS to protect itself and not let you delete stuff that it needs.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
Recently bought a high profile computer from http://www.microcenter.com. I went to the their store, picked all the parts I needed and had them assembly the box without no operating system which I installed myself. The cost was very reasonable (in the range of $1,800 for an i7 four core, 64GB RAM, 1Terra SSD including assembly labor) and the quality very high. I strongly suggest them...
Good company. I spent 8 years as a tech support supervisor at their HQ in Columbus. I built the first Powerspec (their house brand) with a few other guys👍
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #13
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Good company. I spent 8 years as a tech support supervisor at their HQ in Columbus. I built the first Powerspec (their house brand) with a few other guys👍
Nice

I admit that i did not know them until a month ago when i was looking for a high end machine. I usually buy my boxes from system76 but since it takes almost three weeks for delivery time I was looking for a store here in NYC and I found microcenter. They have a very extensive collection of computer components and their employees are very knowledgeable and helpful and their prices are very reasonable. I hope their Queens store remains open for long time as I will definitely revisit them again.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #14
upthecreek

W 7

I was thinking of buying another W7 laptop from the seller I bought this one from I got this message:

Good morning,

Unfortunately, the Microsoft mandated End Of Sale for Windows 7 was October 31, 2016. We (and any other entity selling new or refurbished computers) are no longer permitted to sell Windows 7.

I laughed at this because I found 3974 listings with laptops with windows 7 still!(on Ebay)
Old 11-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #15
GameTheory

Quote:
I've never heard of PC Decrapifier but not that I have I think I'll try that first. I do mean to delete everything except the OS. I hope to find out what is needed to run the OS.

I would expect the OS to protect itself and not let you delete stuff that it needs.
You shouldn't just go deleting things directly off the hard drive without knowing what you are doing. Use the uninstall function to uninstall all the programs you don't want. (Then run something like decrapifier afterward.) If you don't know what something is, just Google it...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply