Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-11-2022, 10:00 AM   #1
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Emmanuel Scr Pletcher fined.

https://t.co/gAqxTaQPEV

and Baffert banned from Nyra
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
Elkchester Road

One would think that with all of the "Incompetence" reported about what Trainers are doing...or not doing...that, occasionally, we would hear about an Owner who gets fed up about it with said Trainer. But...that never happens.

Tough beat for the Owners of Emmanuel. Horses don't get many opportunities to race for $1,000,000.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:10 PM   #3
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
One would think that with all of the "Incompetence" reported about what Trainers are doing...or not doing...that, occasionally, we would hear about an Owner who gets fed up about it with said Trainer. But...that never happens.

Tough beat for the Owners of Emmanuel. Horses don't get many opportunities to race for $1,000,000.
Did you read the story?

No owner would be "fed up" with a trainer in this situation, and, if you think no owner ever gets fed up with a trainer, you would be badly mistaken.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

It was only a matter of time before HISA impacted a big race, and in this case a matter of time was about a week. The scratch had pretty big implications in the way the race was run IMO.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2022, 05:46 PM   #5
classhandicapper

"According to Palmer, medical records supplied by Pletcher and his veterinarians showed that Emmanuel received a shot of Butazolidin on July 3, 4, and 7."

"The state requested medical records from Pletcher after an out-of-competition test taken on July 4 showed the presence of dexamethasone, a corticosteroid that can treat inflammation, in Emmanuel’s system. It was determined that on July 4, Emmanuel had received 20ccs of naquasone, which contains dexamethasone, according to Palmer."

“If a horse needs that much medication the week before the race, maybe he shouldn’t run that week,” Palmer said.

Look on the bright side. Pletcher took full responsibility, he didn't go on TV, no one tested positive after the race, they are legal therapeutics, and as far as I know Bute doesn't come in an easy to apply cream.

That's just a damn lot of therapeutics race week.

Even if there wasn't a rule that horse should probably have been scratched.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-11-2022 at 05:49 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2022, 05:47 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I think HISA is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
The rule was in place, it was documented, so why did Pletcher not understand it? Did he not do due dillegence, did NYRA write a confusing document?

The problem lies, imho, with either NYRA or Pletcher not HISA. Those two have to communicate effectively, and with all trainers.

This was a good message for everyone. There are rules that need to be understood, obeyed and enforced.

Quote:
Horsemen must sign a document that says they read or intend to read the information sheet, Palmer said.
This right here is a problem. It is meaningless.You have them sign that they HAVE read AND understand the information. And provide for questions to be answered if needed.

Last edited by Tom; 07-11-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2022, 07:38 AM   #7
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I didn't see anything in the link the referred to HISA. Where are those comments coming from? Did New York re-write a rule in December2020 in anticipation of HISA coming online this year?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2022, 02:31 PM   #8
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Did you read the story?

No owner would be "fed up" with a trainer in this situation, and, if you think no owner ever gets fed up with a trainer, you would be badly mistaken.
I did read the story. It is just amazing how some people in the Industry think that incidents like this are acceptable. People are paying serious money for a stall in Pletcher's barn, and for him to train their Horse. They didn't get to race. The other Horses made it to the Race fine.

I don't have any problem with Todd Pletcher. He himself said that it is his job to know the rules.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:29 PM   #9
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It was only a matter of time before HISA impacted a big race, and in this case a matter of time was about a week. The scratch had pretty big implications in the way the race was run IMO.
I don't think this was HISA related.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:31 PM   #10
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
I did read the story. It is just amazing how some people in the Industry think that incidents like this are acceptable. People are paying serious money for a stall in Pletcher's barn, and for him to train their Horse. They didn't get to race. The other Horses made it to the Race fine.

I don't have any problem with Todd Pletcher. He himself said that it is his job to know the rules.
If taking the holier than thou stance makes you feel better, go for it, but IMO lumping every incident into the same pile is a poor way to analyze things. If you think I have a toleration for cheating, you haven't paid any attention.

Todd accepted the blame. He's a stand up guy. You think his owners should move the horse. Good for you.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:51 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
I didn't see anything in the link the referred to HISA. Where are those comments coming from? Did New York re-write a rule in December2020 in anticipation of HISA coming online this year?
The out of competition testing for the race, which I believe is part of HISA, is what led to the horse being scratched. Without it, the horse is 100% in the gate on Saturday.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:50 PM   #12
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The out of competition testing for the race, which I believe is part of HISA, is what led to the horse being scratched. Without it, the horse is 100% in the gate on Saturday.
No, the Gaming Commission has been doing this for $1 million races I believe.
Old 07-12-2022, 06:52 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
No, the Gaming Commission has been doing this for $1 million races I believe.
Ah, gotcha, thanks!
Old 07-13-2022, 04:00 AM   #14
Elkchester Road

Quote:
If taking the holier than thou stance makes you feel better, go for it, but IMO lumping every incident into the same pile is a poor way to analyze things. If you think I have a toleration for cheating, you haven't paid any attention.

Todd accepted the blame. He's a stand up guy. You think his owners should move the horse. Good for you.
I mentioned absolutely NOTHING about cheating, Andy. And when did I say Emmanuel's Owners should move their Horse???

As far as me lumping every incident into the same pile...since scratching from Million Dollar Races because of Medication issues is practically nonexistent, I don't think I am doing that.

I am well aware of Pletcher's reputation (Aces). I will also admit I am not as Cavalier about some things as most People.

I appreciate everything you do in Racing, Andy, and am very thankful for your work on the Fox Network. I simply cannot tolerate the Clown Show at TVG.