Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-28-2022, 06:37 AM   #16
BroadwayJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
In case anyone was trying to reach the PaceandCap.com Sartin Methodology website today, it has been offline most of the day during a vBulletin Board Forum software upgrade/migration.

Taking longer than expected but hopefully back in business tomorrow. RDSS software remains unaffected. If anyone needs to reach me about that and doesn't already have my email, feel free to send me a PM or email via PaceAdvantage.

Thanks!

Ted

Ted , you must know by now that site is slow as shit....

It takes well over 30 seconds to maneuver .....even being logged in

I don't know if this helps but there were about 100 guests logged in at 6AM...

Good Luck

Mike
BroadwayJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2022, 06:57 AM   #17
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

I don't understand why the change was needed! Nothing was wrong with the old website. It's completely unusable now!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2022, 08:10 AM   #18
BroadwayJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
I don't understand why the change was needed! Nothing was wrong with the old website. It's completely unusable now!
Same happened to HTR.....

After 20 years they had no choice from what I hear..

HTR kept it simple with a few a few quirks that we have to live with..

I believe Ted tried to keep his site fully loaded and now its obvious it can't handle it....

Don't know what's his direction is going forward...

I hope he doesn't decide to live with it ...

Last edited by BroadwayJoe; 10-28-2022 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:16 AM   #19
BroadwayJoe

All thres sites are powered by vBulletin

HTR and Pace and Cap decided to go NON - AD Based...

And this is what they got....

For me personally don't give a crap about ads ..

I see it all day long and just ignore it....
Old 10-28-2022, 09:31 AM   #20
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
Same happened to HTR.....

After 20 years they had no choice from what I hear..

HTR kept it simple with a few a few quirks that we have to live with..

I believe Ted tried to keep his site fully loaded and now its obvious it can't handle it....
There is absolutely nothing that "fully loaded" means which could slow a website down that much.

Something is seriously wrong somewhere with the setup of his new forum. I'm sure they will nail it down eventually...sometimes these things take days to resolve.

And btw, you're amazing with your stupid assumptions that come from ZERO avenues of experience or knowledge.

"HE decided to keep it FULLY LOADED"....what the hell does that even mean? LMAO

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 10-28-2022 at 09:32 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2022, 09:41 AM   #21
BroadwayJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
There is absolutely nothing that "fully loaded" means which could slow a website down that much.

Something is seriously wrong somewhere with the setup of his new forum. I'm sure they will nail it down eventually...sometimes these things take days to resolve.

And btw, you're amazing with your stupid assumptions that come from ZERO avenues of experience or knowledge.

"HE decided to keep it FULLY LOADED"....what the hell does that even mean? LMAO
Why don't you educate us instead of jumping down peoples throats...

There are different tiers of vBullitin ...correct?

Can they all handle the same content ?

Is yours the top tier with the traffic it gets?

Last edited by BroadwayJoe; 10-28-2022 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #22
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
Why don't you educate us instead of jumping down peoples throats...
If I could, I would...and therein lies the point.

I don't go around spouting stupid assumptions or theories rooted in zero real knowledge of the situation.

You're the one blasting TED for keeping it FULLY LOADED...blaming him for the absurd slowness of his website...and something about going "ad free" as if that's the cause...LOL

You're ridiculous...you're the same when it comes to talking about handicapping software, which is why you've been banned multiple times in the past.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:10 AM   #23
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Maybe it's the user that's fully loaded?
Old 10-28-2022, 12:11 PM   #24
Ted Craven

Update -- as of a few minutes ago, the old Forum is now back up and responding normally.

Thank you those who have posted here about their concerns for PaceandCap.com - and that presumably they get value out of it such that they share their concerns and offer advice.

If you're dying to know -- I ran a vBulletin Version 3.8.x Forum there for about 17 years now (same as HTR and PA, different older versions), but this summer the web host informed us that the server back-end PHP language version must be upgraded. The older vBulletin versions will not run at all on the latest PHP version, hence (like Ken @ HTR) it was time to bite the bullet and upgrade to the latest. However, some unknown problem on the server-side caused disk Input/Output to always be maxed-out with the new vBulletin, thus causing the appearance of severely long load times or outright '508 Insufficient Resources' error messages.

No one could help me resolve this on the server host side -- very poor service if I might say on their part. Very EXCELLENT service by vBulletin support - can't praise them enough !

We set it up so that BOTH versions are now active on my shared server and right now the old Forums are fully functional though not sure for how long, given the still existing hard end-date for the outdated PHP version. Likely, I must migrate to a Virtual Private Server of my own (like Mike here at PA) where I can control the server environment entirely. Wheee ...

Advertisements had nothing to do with it; there were no ads (not in 10+ years). There is no issue of a 'streamlined' site - it has screenshot attachments of RDSS and various other things which are kind of the hallmark of P&C - educational/teaching resources. There are different VERSIONS of vBulletin, not tiers. It all had to do with whether the server was doing its job and could or will accommodate the vBulletin version I was using or the one I am trying to upgrade to. But, this has been a cascade of errors.

I am writing an email to a couple hundred RDSS users and other regulars at P&C (many don't check in every day or week - they just go about their handicapping), letting them know of these same details and to come on back to the currently functional site (and soon the new one).

Hopefully back soon to horse racing ...

Thanks again for the concern expressed and advice offered!

Ted

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2022, 12:21 PM   #25
BroadwayJoe

Thank you Ted for that very informative explanation...

Thou you have some more work to do...

Good luck and keep us up to date
Old 10-29-2022, 02:29 PM   #26
Ted Craven

PaceandCap.com Website is Up!

For those who are interested - I have reinstated the original website at Paceandcap.com and deferred the vBulletin software upgrade to next year. The web host extended the life of the current PHP language version, so not the same rush to upgrade the website. I will do that eventually, but with better understanding of the migration issues and hopefully minimal downtime.

Thanks to everyone for their interest, understanding and advice!

Ted

Last edited by Ted Craven; 10-29-2022 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 03:06 PM   #27
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The good news about having your own server is...you get to upgrade and install behind the scenes while the current site is still alive and kicking...and you can work out all the kinks behind the scenes too...having your own virtual server gives you enough free storage space to do that, among other things.

The downside is that having my own server isn't cheap...something tells me there are better values out there, but I just haven't looked...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 10-29-2022 at 03:07 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2022, 04:46 PM   #28
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
The good news about having your own server is...you get to upgrade and install behind the scenes while the current site is still alive and kicking...and you can work out all the kinks behind the scenes too...having your own virtual server gives you enough free storage space to do that, among other things.

The downside is that having my own server isn't cheap...something tells me there are better values out there, but I just haven't looked...
The good news about having your own server is...you get to upgrade and install behind the scenes

The Bad News is the same thing.

I must admit it was difficult for me to remain quiet while the crowd was not... as charitable as they could have been.

You two guys are both amazing that you have such an audience and have kept it running for so long.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2022, 06:37 PM   #29
Ted Craven

Quote:
Mike, here are the VPS prices at my Host: https://www.midphase.com/vps-hosting/ If I ever go to a VPS, the 4Gb/100Gb plan seems about right for my needs - a little more than my 2 existing shared servers. Presumably you still get server-side tech support for a VPS: I don't want to add 'server technician' to my existing collection of hats (though I do already have that hat - and T-shirt).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
The good news about having your own server is...you get to upgrade and install behind the scenes

The Bad News is the same thing.

I must admit it was difficult for me to remain quiet while the crowd was not... as charitable as they could have been.

You two guys are both amazing that you have such an audience and have kept it running for so long.
Dave - I hear you! I confess my audience has always been an appreciative and charitable lot - and I am grateful for that. It helps to have trailed behind the coat-tails of giants (Sartin, Bradshaw, Brohamer, et al ... and not forgetting Pizzolla, Hambleton, Ainslie, Schmidt and Schwartz and other lesser-known geniuses). Including the work of our late founder Bill Varone (Binder) - we've been going almost 20 years now, with the input of both Sartin and Bradshaw before they passed.

Good luck to you and Beth as well!

Ted

Old 10-31-2022, 01:20 AM   #30
DanBoals

Thank you Ted

Appreciate the work Ted.

You are the only place new people can really go for Sartin Methodology works going back to the 1980s. Howard probably cured over 100 problem gamblers. I would be willing to bet no other therapist or doctor has ever, over the course of their entire career, cured more than 20.

Mental health is a tough gig. There are no agreed upon metrics mostly because not having any metrics to measure success means everyone gets a participation trophy and a high paying career. I work with a group called NAMI with nami.org being their website. Having taught classes and run support groups, I can tell you that very few mental health providers ever cure anyone. Ask. Ask what the patient had wrong, what treatment the provider gave them, what was the result, and how did you track the person to see the result really was a permanent cure. They simply won't answer. They can't, they have never cured anyone. People go to them, then do not get results, the patient leaves. That is mental health.

Howard said one of the truest things anyone has ever said, "The cure for losing is winning". He made a second career out of helping people labeled chronic gamblers to regain control over their lives and not be at the whim of losing money gambling. This was a noble purpose and Howard was up to the task and cured more people from this problem than anyone else. Ted keeps the Follow Ups online for people to read. That is a lot of material that does not make him a penny. Hopefully people will realize what a treasure this material is and will use it in the spirit it was written. Curing people from losing by teaching them how to win.

Hats off to you Ted, and thank you.

Dan
DanBoals is online now   Reply With Quote Reply