Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-08-2022, 02:42 PM   #1
Thomas Roulston

Anything New and Exciting at Belmont?

The last time I was at Belmont was in 2014.

With both of my parents having died recently - my mother in October of 2020, my father in January of 2021 - I will be receiving a six-figure inheritance as soon as this week.

The soon as I get it, I will be spending some time in New York City - and while I'm up there I plan on spending a day or two at Belmont Park.

Is there any place where there is heat and/or air conditioning? I was at the 1990 Breeders' Cup at Belmont - and on that day, the wind chill must have been like 10 degrees! And I hardly need to be reminded how hot it can get.

I might even visit Monmouth Park as well.

I'll be staying at the King's Inn in the Borough Park section of Brooklyn - one block from the 39th St/9th Av station on the West End line, convenient to both Manhattan and Staten Island.

Since I disdain crowds, I will probably go to Belmont on a Thursday or a Friday. I like to get to the track early, like 11:30 AM.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
With both of my parents having died recently - my mother in October of 2020, my father in January of 2021 - I will be receiving a six-figure inheritance as soon as this week.
Thanks for sharing that critical information.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:05 PM   #3
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Thanks for sharing that critical information.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:50 PM   #4
the little guy

Should I be warning Security?
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2022, 06:44 PM   #5
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
Since I disdain crowds, I will probably go to Belmont on a Thursday or a Friday.
It's apparent you aren't kidding when you say you haven't been to Belmont in awhile. Crowds aren't a problem at Belmont except Belmont Stakes day. During the week you might be fooled into thinking you showed up on a dark day.
Old 05-08-2022, 06:56 PM   #6
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
It's apparent you aren't kidding when you say you haven't been to Belmont in awhile. Crowds aren't a problem at Belmont except Belmont Stakes day. During the week you might be fooled into thinking you showed up on a dark day.

Like most horseplayers, I have a "ritual" - which, among other things, entails getting to the track about 90 minutes before post time of the first race, watching the re-runs of the previous racing day's races, standing at attention when the national anthem is played, and then hearing the late scratches announced.

After that, I try to figure out what horses I plan to bet on in the various races.

And I will have plenty of time to eat lunch - either a burger and fries, or a couple of slices of pizza.

Often, I will not bet on the first race, or even the first two races (especially if they are on dirt and under a mile) - so I can get a feel on how the track is playing that day: Is there a speed bias or a closer's bias? Is the rail golden or dead?

I try to enjoy the totality of the experience - whether I win or lose money that day.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:52 PM   #7
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Should I be warning Security?
Not a problem. The only potential for harm I see would be self-inflicted by the OP. Anyone that can't find heating or AC in New York is wandering in the wilderness.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:09 AM   #8
Zman179
Registered Wacko

My Troll-O-Meter© is reading off the charts with this post.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2022, 07:10 AM   #9
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
My Troll-O-Meter© is reading off the charts with this post.

I get trolled far worse every day - as a Philadelphia Eagles fan who dares agree with less than 100% of every move that their penurious front office makes, or far more frequently, does not make.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:43 PM   #10
RunDustyRun

Hey Thomas,

First off, condolences on losing your parents.

Secondly, have fun at Belmont but have you ever thought of making a visit to historical Fairmount Park (now known as Fanduel park). Just a short drive from St. Louis its known for some of the most competitive IL bred 3000 claimers around.

Just bring that six figure inheritance and I'll be happy to meet you and show you around...
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: