Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #1006
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
...Churchill is a private business running a private contest which has the right to refuse service to anyone other than based on a protected class such as race.
Can he give his horses to a female trainer or Lukas, etc.. and if they refuse entry claim they are discriminating based on sex or age .

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-07-2021 at 06:43 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2021, 09:33 PM   #1007
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Can he give his horses to a female trainer or Lukas, etc.. and if they refuse entry claim they are discriminating based on sex or age .
No, because you have to show that the reason for the denial of service was sex, age, etc. If the party has a legitimate, nonpretextual reason for denying the service (such as the horse having been in the hands of a trainer the track believes cheated in its biggest race), that's sufficient to defeat a discrimination claim.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #1008
taxicab

Quote:
Forget about Pinhurst and Murray (who is reportedly better than he ran the other day), he sent out Cornich to run a 98 on Saturday in the 10th.
I'm puzzled By Pinhurst,he was zipping right along in 1:10 looking solid......then went his final 1/8th in 13.2.
Grace Adler wasn't much better,getting her final 1/8th in 13 flat.
On the other hand,Corniche caught his final 1/8th in 12 seconds......to finish off a wicked final 3/16ths in 18 cold.........super impressive from him.

Last edited by taxicab; 09-07-2021 at 09:56 PM.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #1009
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
I'm puzzled By Pinhurst,he was zipping right along in 1:10 looking solid......then went his final 1/8th in 13.2.
Grace Adler wasn't much better,getting her final 1/8th in 13 flat.
On the other hand,Corniche caught his final 1/8th in 12 seconds......to finish off a wicked final 3/16ths in 18 cold.........super impressive from him.
It's not unusual for the early 7F races for 2yos to kind of collapse late. I think it's a combination of things. Most are stretching their speed out for the first time but some haven't really learned how to rate yet. So the paces tend to be fast. Some may just be 5 1/2 and 6F sprinters that can't get the 7F. Some may not be ready to run that far yet. Corniche only went 5 1/2F. We'll see how well he finishes when he stretches out.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:28 AM   #1010
dilanesp

Quote:
It's not unusual for the early 7F races for 2yos to kind of collapse late. I think it's a combination of things. Most are stretching their speed out for the first time but some haven't really learned how to rate yet. So the paces tend to be fast. Some may just be 5 1/2 and 6F sprinters that can't get the 7F. Some may not be ready to run that far yet. Corniche only went 5 1/2F. We'll see how well he finishes when he stretches out.
You can really see this effect in early 2 year old route races. They start running 2 year olds 1 mile on the grass in the summer here in California, during the Santa Anita meeting (and previously Hollywood Park) and the last fractions and final times are almost always awful (despite the fact that last fractions are normally pretty fast on grass). 2 year olds take awhile to develop stamina.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:35 PM   #1011
Cholly

Quote:
Unless I missed it, I wish someone would provide a update on the urine test issue. It sounded close to being resolved, then there was the issue of the lab using more urine that they should have. You would think they'd be back in court at least once since then.
waiting...
waiting...
waiting...

Maybe the KHRC is waiting for a date where their ruling is the most likely to be buried in the press, noticed by as few as possible, and never make it onto ESPN? If there were a pool on such a thing, I'd wager they release the results of their findings on Saturday, December 4th--date Georgia & Alabama play for SEC championship, plus next day NFL will be in high gear.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2022, 10:35 AM   #1012
dilanesp

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamIAmNo...30236735852545
Old 01-02-2022, 10:45 AM   #1013
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly View Post
waiting...
waiting...
waiting...

Maybe the KHRC is waiting for a date where their ruling is the most likely to be buried in the press, noticed by as few as possible, and never make it onto ESPN? If there were a pool on such a thing, I'd wager they release the results of their findings on Saturday, December 4th--date Georgia & Alabama play for SEC championship, plus next day NFL will be in high gear.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2022, 02:22 AM   #1014
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

I wonder if they are waiting to make a decision based on Medina Spirit's necropsy findings at this rate. If it turns out that his death was aggravated by the usage of PEDs, then that might give them additional fodder to keep him out.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:36 AM   #1015
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
I wonder if they are waiting to make a decision based on Medina Spirit's necropsy findings at this rate. If it turns out that his death was aggravated by the usage of PEDs, then that might give them additional fodder to keep him out.
If that's true, they are seeing their own shadow.

The reality is they were perfectly fine DQ'ing on the initial sample. Everything since then has just played into Baffert's hands. Obviously Baffert's lawyers have a practice of delaying so they can then capitalize on the delay, but they are going to sue you anyway, so you might as well just do the right thing.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:05 AM   #1016
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
If that's true, they are seeing their own shadow.

The reality is they were perfectly fine DQ'ing on the initial sample. Everything since then has just played into Baffert's hands. Obviously Baffert's lawyers have a practice of delaying so they can then capitalize on the delay, but they are going to sue you anyway, so you might as well just do the right thing.
IMO, we will reach some kind of breaking point soon. Some of the preps are already giving out points for the Derby. That means Baffert, Baffert's owners, and CD will have to make a decision on what course of action to take very soon.

Keep in mind, it's not a one way risk. If it turns out Baffert has 2-3 of the very best 3yos in the country and his owners are sticking with him, if CD enforces the ban, they'd be turning the Kentucky Derby into a prep for the Preakness. It's hard for me to imagine an owner giving up a shot at the Derby over this, but something has to happen soon.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 01-03-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:44 PM   #1017
dilanesp

Quote:
IMO, we will reach some kind of breaking point soon. Some of the preps are already giving out points for the Derby. That means Baffert, Baffert's owners, and CD will have to make a decision on what course of action to take very soon.

Keep in mind, it's not a one way risk. If it turns out Baffert has 2-3 of the very best 3yos in the country and his owners are sticking with him, if CD enforces the ban, they'd be turning the Kentucky Derby into a prep for the Preakness. It's hard for me to imagine an owner giving up a shot at the Derby over this, but something has to happen soon.

The Derby is bigger than Bob Baffert. There's no reason for CD to back down.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:17 PM   #1018
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

Hasn't Churchill already decided? Seems to me the KHRC decision is a different thing and in no way is Churchill bound by anything they do.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2022, 02:29 PM   #1019
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2022, 02:48 PM   #1020
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Hasn't Churchill already decided? Seems to me the KHRC decision is a different thing and in no way is Churchill bound by anything they do.

Thanks for the correction.

I'm still reading blurbs of concern there's going to be a reversal on the Derby because of the urine test. Maybe that's unwarranted concern, but the danger is that Baffert is totally loaded with the best 3yos, his owners stick with him, and it damages the Derby while he's suspended. We are going to learn something soon.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 01-03-2022 at 03:02 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: