Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #16
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Horse with sprinter speed from the rail ceded the lead in 23.74 to a couple Bob horses. Turns out he outwardly bled so who knows, but sure wasn't very aggressive.
Did bleed?
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Did bleed?
Says so right in the chart so I would guess it was coming through the nostrils.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #18
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Says so right in the chart so I would guess it was coming through the nostrils.
Sorry. One of my failings is a failure to read stuff sometimes. Even though it's not an excuse for the poor early position it is for the finish.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #19
ranchwest

Seems to me that a lot of 2/5 horses are followed by a 46/1 because the other horses in the race take a tactic they can't handle.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #20
Milkshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
So frequently these days I witness an occurrence perhaps more commonplace-and traditional-than I had realized: Trip theft.
My take on this is that it only appears more commonplace because fields are shorter and there are more lone-speed, odds-on fave situations. It is easier to perceive jockeys either fighting the fave or laying back off the fave when there are just 5 or 6 horses in a race and not 10 or 12.
Milkshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #21
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Horse with sprinter speed from the rail ceded the lead in 23.74 to a couple Bob horses. Turns out he outwardly bled so who knows, but sure wasn't very aggressive.
I've been playing too much NYRA....THAT'S WHAT I'VE COME TO EXPECT....
Old 11-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #22
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I've been playing NYRA too much, that's what I've come to expect!

Old 11-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #23
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshaker View Post
My take on this is that it only appears more commonplace because fields are shorter and there are more lone-speed, odds-on fave situations. It is easier to perceive jockeys either fighting the fave or laying back off the fave when there are just 5 or 6 horses in a race and not 10 or 12.
But my contention is that beyond obvious instances when longer shots attack a front-running favorite, frequently jocks shadow the chalk, even attempting to "steal" the favorite's trip, regardless of where in the pack the favorite happens to be positioned. Sometimes, certain riders seem intent on employing the same strategy, or steering to occupy the same path, that the favorite figures to utilize.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2021, 07:24 PM   #24
sharkey11

far as i can see its called race riding. various reasons a jock would do that type of attack. of course the same jock would do it against any other horse or horses in a race to improve his position for himself and or the horse's connections. after all purses are paid out up to fifth place i believe .what would you do compete or just not ride and collect 100 odd dollars that they get . gl to all
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2021, 10:46 PM   #25
porchy44

Losing a condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
.. but if you have a low level horse that’s barely competitive at its current level and you will lose a condition if he wins, you are sometimes better off financially piling up 2nds, 3rds, and 4ths in the current condition than winning and getting buried at the next one.
I remember sitting next to an owner and a trainer whose horse finally won after finishing second several times in a row. Couldn't help from laughing when the trainer said to him "You just lost your best friend".
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2021, 07:34 AM   #26
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I was watching a race on the rail with a trainer who placed, and I said something bland like, "Good effort....wide trip may have cost you a few lengths" and he replied, "Eh....saves a condition." I think he winked when he said it. And he was from Louisiana.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2021, 12:55 AM   #27
davew

some jockeys seem much better at estimating the speed and pace they are going so avoid 'match race speed duels' when they are on the favorite
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2021, 05:57 AM   #28
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I won’t go as far as saying anyone is stiffing horses for that reason, but if you have a low level horse that’s barely competitive at its current level and you will lose a condition if he wins, you are sometimes better off financially piling up 2nds, 3rds, and 4ths in the current condition than winning and getting buried at the next one. It’s usually only true for the very lowest level horses, but I’ve had a piece of horses like that and after a win the first thing I asked myself was “now what?”. You can be in a position where your only options are to get buried repeatedly, ship out to a lower tier track, or pray.
So true! I recall at Fairmount 30 years ago I knew an owner with a cheap nw2 3200 claimer and when the horse won because the other horse in front bolted in mid stretch and hit the rail he jumped up and literally tossed the table upside down he was so pissed. His jockey apologized to him later saying he couldn't pull his horse it would have looked to obvious. Ironically three months later the horse won the nw3 condition.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:04 PM   #29
dlivery

Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I've been playing too much NYRA....THAT'S WHAT I'VE COME TO EXPECT....
Stop that
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: