Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

What A Race!!

What a preakness this was,Way to go Jermey Rose,What a cool determined ride you gave and what a incredible feat you did keeping ALex on his feet and not falling off as the horse clipped heels.This horse is truly a champion as he fell to his knees at full speed and still bulled his way to victory.Glad to see something good come out of some bad luck.Crangrats to all the connections atatched to Afleet Alex.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
46zilzal
velocitician

great move

notice that he changed leads two strides later and ALMOST yawned at the field.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
frankfig

AFLEET ALEX

I was skeptical of this horse in route racing. Man was i wrong !! I still cant believe what i saw. What an explosive kick and ROSE did a GREAT JOB. What else can you say ? I AM SURE THE SPEED FIG IS GOING TO BE STRONG TO. I TIP MY HAT AND ADMIT I WAS DEAD WRONG ABOUT THIS HORSE !!
frankfig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2005, 12:42 AM   #4
Light
Veteran

The race sucked. Nobody showed up except for Afleet.The rest of the field were shadows of themselves. Scrappy T dusting the rest of the field.Come on. Horrible group.Scrappy T was second by default due to his running style. None of the KD horses redeemed themselves in the Preakness. And Giocomo was beaten 5 lengths by a glorified allowance horse. Ugly.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2005, 01:52 AM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Actually, ST looked to me to be the best horse in the race basd on his figure patern of development and I said so before the race. He looked to be sitting a new top that put him several lengths ahead of everything else. AA was the other "good horse."

Gicaomo didn't have the numbers, but he had the "class" based on his pattern of development.

ST still needs to learn how to make turns
Old 05-22-2005, 02:31 AM   #6
46zilzal
velocitician

it showed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
The race sucked. Nobody showed up except for Afleet.T Ugly.
Many showed signs of NOT taking the next step particuarly Closing Argument :the prime bouncer.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2005, 03:22 AM   #7
RXB

Yes, I posted right after the KD that Closing Argument would probably decline. But he was only 7/1 so it didn't give me a huge advantage.

I didn't bet the race. Afleet Alex, again, was the horse that I liked most but I wanted 4/1 on the win bet. I was pretty sure that it was an off-pace race but I recognized the possibility that one of the horses near the early lead could hang on for 2nd or 3rd and I was damned if I could figure out which one it might be. So, with no huge advantage in the odds, no real confidence in any horse other than the favourite and no real idea about who might best survive the pace battle, there didn't seem to be any reason for me to try the exotics, either.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2005, 08:08 AM   #8
TOOZ

Rose showed great athleticism, skill and strength by staying on Alex. But lets get real, he had nothing to do in
getting that horse back on stride and running. That was all the horse. Rose hung on for dear life. If Alex does go down, guess who gets to be the Preakness winner on a DQ. Can you imagine that scenario if it happened? Thankfully it didn't.
TOOZ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2005, 09:27 AM   #9
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOZ
Rose showed great athleticism, skill and strength by staying on Alex. But lets get real, he had nothing to do in
getting that horse back on stride and running. That was all the horse. Rose hung on for dear life. If Alex does go down, guess who gets to be the Preakness winner on a DQ. Can you imagine that scenario if it happened? Thankfully it didn't.
I was glad AA won.... I bet him ... but only about 25% of what I bet on him in the Derby ... so I'm still a little behind on him.

I liked ST, but I liked others as well. I didn't bet him in the exotics. So I lost there.

Now, the most important point... if AA goes down for the count and ST wins and gets DQ'd and Giacomo wins by default .... that would have been a wild story. I wonder if VISA would still pay the $5 million bonus if he then went on to win the Belmont. As you said, thankfully it didn't happen.

I have tix to the Belmont, so it would have made for a very interesting race.

If AA doesn't get hurt, I'll probably bet AA/Sun King and maybe Giacomo in exotics. Maybe ST or some other newcomer will be bettable, too.

Mainly I like AA and Sun King in Belmont.

js
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
Suff
Beat up 💪

No matter how you slice it,.........The field, the time, The trip's, The beyers or the bounce's....Afleet Alex comes up big. I refuse to define a Horse or a Horse race, by a set of numbers. A great effort, against 5 or 6 other horse's that showed up.

As aside, ScrappyT finishing 2nd vindicates a lot of other races & Horses.

Bellamy Road, Naughty NY'r, Sort it out, Park Avenue Ball & a couple of others.

Whatevers best for the game I want, and a TC shot at Belmont is the ideal situation. Since we did'nt get that, I'll enjoy these two races for what they were. and look forward to enjoying the Belmont.

They're just Horse Race's to me. I enjoy Horse race's.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #11
Beer'n'Horses

Quote:
ST still needs to learn how to make turns
I totally agree with that statement....it looked to me like ST was power sliding into the stretch the way his rear end came around before he straightened out... . Still, I think he ran a great race, and all I can say about Afleet Alex and J. Rose is WOW ! Also, IMO it seems that Giacomo proved his Derby run was legit considering how he managed to finish 3rd after the trip he got. Would've like to have seen a TC bid, but man what a race!

Last edited by Beer'n'Horses; 05-22-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Beer'n'Horses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2005, 11:01 AM   #12
joeyspicks

Afleet Alex proved he is the real deal. The problem is no one else showed up. I think there are alot of overrated horses in this bunch (SUN KING being the prime example) . High Fly another ( along with Jerrys ride? ). I'm very glad Giacomo was able to run a decent race......poor Andy ......there is at least 5 or 6 horses I would automatically throw out before Giacomo.
joeyspicks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2005, 11:26 AM   #13
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyspicks
Afleet Alex proved he is the real deal. The problem is no one else showed up. I think there are alot of overrated horses in this bunch (SUN KING being the prime example) . High Fly another ( along with Jerrys ride? ). I'm very glad Giacomo was able to run a decent race......poor Andy ......there is at least 5 or 6 horses I would automatically throw out before Giacomo.
I respect your opinion. However, Mark Twain said it's difference of opinion that makes a horserace.

I think SUN KING is a great horse that was/is underrated. He came fourth yesterday and I'll bet him to win in the Belmont. His pedigree suggests he'll be suited to a mile and a half. Plus, Zito knows how to win the Belmont. Remember Birdonthewire?

Can't wait for the Belmont.

js
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2005, 11:38 AM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetyejohn
Remember Birdonthewire?
Now that's funny, or did you really forget his name already?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #15
The Judge

Giacomo

Giacomo almost backed in to the second leg of the triple crown. All that had to happen was for Afleet Alex to go down which he almost did. In fact I have no idea how he didn't go down it looked like his nose and knees touched the ground. If he goes down Scrappy T is DQ'd and Giacomo wins.

Last edited by The Judge; 05-22-2005 at 12:11 PM.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply