Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-02-2023, 09:47 PM   #1
horses4courses

Biggest problem in US economy?

Current jobs market figures send a mixed message to The Fed.
It gives them ammo to justify further interest rate hikes. Not good.

The US economy is strong.
Despite what the cons say, and do.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2023, 10:01 PM   #2
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post

So I am at an age that I have friends who are general managers and some business owners. They are all saying the same thing right now, you can't find the right people. The time for working at a company for a long time is gone now and with it is the trust needed to stick around. If you want to work at Mcdonalds the economy is real strong, in fact places that someone has no future are the strongest parts of the economy. What is especially strong is under the table work and is why Biden wants to hire IRS agents with guns.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2023, 11:10 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

It's amazing that with such a "strong economy," Joe Biden's "numbers" are not only still in the toilet...they are trending down....so odd.

40.7% approval on fivethirtyeight.com?

Even Trump had a higher approval rating at day 864 of his presidency...

That HAS to hurt to see....

Attached Images
File Type: gif Screenshot 2023-06-02 230712.gif (6.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 06-02-2023 at 11:12 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2023, 11:16 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Imagine ANY of these guys, like horses4courses, thinking that when they voted for Biden...on day 864 of his presidency, he would have a LOWER approval rating then the DEVIL TRUMP!

They would have LAUGHED YOU OUT OF THE ROOM if you told them that back then on election day.

After all, how could Biden be worse then the supposedly "WORST PRESIDENT EVER!" LMAO

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 06-02-2023 at 11:17 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2023, 11:29 PM   #5
ElKabong

Quote:

Retail sales has been falling. Personal debt rising at an alarming rate. How anyone can say the economy is strong is beyond me
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2023, 01:22 AM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Retail sales has been falling. Personal debt rising at an alarming rate. How anyone can say the economy is strong is beyond me

I do believe and I have no links so I will say aren't credit card balances and their interest rates at an all time high? That is a recipe for disaster.
Most people are personally experiencing much higher than the stated inflation, I know I am, especially on business supplies. A lot of it I have to eat
as most of my work the end user is a hobbyist and that is the first thing people cut to balance a budget.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2023, 07:05 AM   #7
tbwinner

The labor market in the $10-20 hour range is tough to hire in. Other higher earning areas such as Big 4 accounting have started layoffs.

For one, people have been more selective and careful for which employee they work for. That's a good thing as employers need to step up their game.

Others have reevaluated working entirely, for those that may have worked a part time job for extra income or whatever may have decided it's no longer worth it. Why put up with retail or restaurant work for 10 hours a week for a measly $100 or whatever after tax.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2023, 07:06 AM   #8
tbwinner

Has anyone been to a mall or home improvement store lately?

Business is still brisk and people are spending freely.

Of course there will come a time people reach their cap on their credit cards and that faucet will shut off.

Eerily similar to 07/08 though we don't have the job losses to match.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2023, 07:32 AM   #9
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post
Has anyone been to a mall or home improvement store lately?

Business is still brisk and people are spending freely.

Of course there will come a time people reach their cap on their credit cards and that faucet will shut off.

Eerily similar to 07/08 though we don't have the job losses to match.
In this thread posts 5,6,7, and 8 lead me to think how the voter is going to react in the next big election (The Primary).
Old 06-03-2023, 09:41 AM   #10
classhandicapper

I'm surprised the economy is still doing OK in the face of rising interest rates and banking issues. Then again, I don't believe anything the US government says. The stats are probably cooked.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:18 AM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

The economy is fine unless you are trying feed a couple of kids etc

Inflation has pushed people’s quality of life way down.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:49 AM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Jobs are up, spending power is way down.
The jobs are not that valuable.

But Joe told horsey, so it must be true.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:51 PM   #13
Robert Fischer
clean money

there's a big overlapping venn diagram of incompetent workers and workers with mental health problems

at the same time there's been a large push by big business to supposedly 'automate' a lot of chain stores. However, while it slightly helps in general, - what they did was cut manpower way down, and force customers to either shop at store-opening 8-9am or to sign up for the app/VIP, or to wait in long slow lines with overwhelmed staff and grumpy working-class people.

these jobs are hiring less workers, and the quality of life is also worse for them.

Businesses are hiring significantly less workers. Often displaying a 'HELP WANTED' sign while offering zero or limited opportunities, and the rare opportunities are not up to the increased workload and/or cost of living (Real COL increase, not the published metric)

a man without strong qualifications in a high-demand job((usually less known job and/or harder/less-desirable job, and/or nepotism/unionized(do unions even exist and help these anymore?) type of situational job)) -without these factors in his favor - a man is hit hard and has to work 2-3 jobs @ 80hrs a week to be able to afford a 2-bedroom apartment outside of the poor areas, work clothes, a set of somewhat dressy clothes and some casual clothes and shoes that are functional for both normal and cold weather, to Drive&reFuel a relatively new car that is dependable and doesn't look poor to women, to own a phone, to own one of those silver/steel refrigerators with two doors, to purchase groceries that can serve things like meats and popular vegetables (eat beyond a male survival-style low-cost rations) to be able to occasionally eat out with women and/or participate in dining/drinking/hobbyist/etc.. activities, Insurance and utilities, (and probably other stuff I forgot)...
-As a man you need all of this to afford a few girlfriends that you don't mind cheating on you, or maybe just one girlfriend who you really get along with which offsets some of her looks that aren't universally attractive/sexy who you can try to have a lone woman you trust some genuine feelings to you and possibly will be devoted/loyal to you. (Maybe she will not, but who can blame her in the world we live in now, plus at 80hrs a week of your laboring she can claim boredom

alright i have to bet and writing a novel here .

you guys don't even care what i write anyway and some isn't in line with the ecoh chambers

if interested i would discuss w/ any of you guys. I do value your opinions and welcome disagreement or any discussion
Old 06-03-2023, 02:55 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
there's a big overlapping venn diagram of incompetent workers and workers with mental health problems

I had to look that up, I had no idea that is what those over lapping circles are called. I am a little confused at what you are getting at but taking a stab
I think the point you are making that it is rougher today on a person entering the work force without a college or trade school education, that it was when most of us were doing it. I will say yes and no, if that is the point you are making.

This is what I believe makes it harder today:

A lot of jobs have been hit with wage stagnation, for various reasons. My last job working for the man was in 1994. The man did not like titles, I was a machinist/programmer and was the only one on shift that had keys, and locked up at night. Pay was $28.12 an hour + benefits, non union. Same job same place now probably pays in the low $30's per hour. The wage stagnation there is due to off shoring and automation. Automation has also removed a lot of opportunities for on the job learning and advancement. You now can get by with a much lower percentage of highly skilled workers. In a lot of manufacturing facilities they no longer train and promote from within, worker bees are treated as a disposable commodity.

A lot of construction trades have also been hit with wage stagnation. Just as an observer I would blame a lot of that on illegal immigrants working for cash. Contrary to what Mayor Pete says we don't have too many white construction workers.

Combined with wage stagnation the cost of living in many areas has way out paced even pay increases in areas not hit by wage stagnation.

I look up places where I used to rent apartments 40 years ago and I am
shocked at the rents when I stick what I used to pay in an inflation calculator.

I will comment on what I think makes it easier in the present time compared to the past.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2023, 03:00 PM   #15
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
The economy is fine unless you are trying feed a couple of kids etc

Inflation has pushed people’s quality of life way down.
The economy just got a fresh batch of sex workers and it seems this administration is not interested in human trafficking.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: