Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-07-2023, 10:31 AM   #1
horses4courses

Clarence Thomas on the take......

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...l/11613047002/

Had this been Bader Ginsburg, or Sotomayor, PA-OTG would have
at least 3 threads posted on this topic already. This is improper
conduct by a SCOTUS justice - there is no defending it.
Get his ass out of there, now!

Quote:
Thomas under fire over luxury trips funded by GOP donor
The revelations Thursday that Thomas has taken a series of lavish trips funded by billionaire and GOP megadonor Harlan Crow over the past two decades raised new questions about his actions and charges of impropriety.

The disclosures, first reported by ProPublica, are the latest ethics controversy to dog Thomas, who also has faced tough questions about his incomplete financial disclosure forms and appearances at other political gatherings of wealthy conservative donors and influencers.

Thomas has accepted lavish gifts from the billionaire Dallas businessman nearly every year, which had included vacations on Crow’s superyacht and trips on the billionaire’s Bombardier Global 5000 jet as well as a week each summer at Crow’s private resort in the Adirondacks, ProPublica reported, citing flight records, internal documents and interviews with Crow’s employees.

The investigation comes as the nation's high court fends off requests for a code of ethics, which would likely address similar instances.

Thomas didn’t respond to ProPublica’s request for comment, but Crow in a statement said he and his wife’s “hospitality” to Thomas and his wife “is no different from the hospitality we have extended to our many other dear friends.”

“This secrecy is toxic and wrong. The court should not protect it any longer,” said Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, a close ally of Biden’s and longtime member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Whitehouse, D-R.I., a longtime advocate for more transparency and accountability on the court, said the disclosures once again raise serious questions about all of the connections between conservative groups with access to Thomas and whether they are improperly influencing the court.

Sen. Chris Van Hollen. D-Md., also weighed in as chairman of the Appropriations Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government, which has jurisdiction over the Court’s appropriations.

“Americans’ confidence in our highest court is tanking because of this kind of conduct. We need answers. And the court needs a code of ethics,” said Van Hollen, another close colleague of Biden’s who has worked with him on many judicial reform measures.

“It is unacceptable,” Van Hollen added, “that the Supreme Court has exempted itself from the accountability that applies to all other members of our federal courts, and I believe Congress should act to remedy this problem.”
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2023, 10:38 AM   #2
boxcar

Horsey, you're not seeing the really bright side to this: At least Thomas wasn't wined and dined and yachted and flown and drenched in lavish gifts by the CCP.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:56 AM   #3
lamboguy

this is a horse racing board, who really gives a flying fuck what these guys do?

i know for sure they ain't doing anything good for me, none of them on that sham court from either fucking side. if they have a chance they will steal your liver right out of your body while you are awake. just make sure they don't get you.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2023, 11:01 AM   #4
thaskalos

Clarence Thomas is a pig...and so is his wife.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:08 AM   #5
Inner Dirt

How come all the leading Republicans aren't playing the race card? Is it because by Joe Biden's definition Clarence Thomas isn't black?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2023, 11:18 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post

i'll make you a deal......we get rid of him AND Biden, both for the same reason.
It is not defendable for anyone in government.

Deal?
Old 04-07-2023, 11:20 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
How come all the leading Republicans aren't playing the race card? Is it because by Joe Biden's definition Clarence Thomas isn't black?
You are messing with the very fabric of liberals here!
Stop using LOGIC!!!! :LOL:
Old 04-07-2023, 11:23 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Clarence Thomas is a pig...and so is his wife.
Now, now, there must be some misunderstanding here.
Clarence wants you come over to his house, have a conversation, and maybe a nice cold can of Coke!
Old 04-07-2023, 01:02 PM   #9
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post

And now for the rest of the story... as Paul Harvey would say.

Quote:
"Early in my tenure at the Court, I sought guidance from my colleagues and others in the judiciary, and was advised that this sort of personal hospitality from close personal friends, who did not have business before the Court, was not reportable," Thomas said.

"I have endeavored to follow that counsel throughout my tenure, and have always sought to comply with the disclosure guidelines," he added.

Thomas, one of the court's six conservative justices, noted that he would comply with changes made to disclosure rules that were announced last month. Those revisions made it clear that trips on private jets and stays at privately owned resorts like one Crow owns in upstate New York would have to be disclosed.

The change to disclosure rules tightened an exemption for "personal hospitality" that was not strictly defined.
Quote:
That tweak was made just weeks before a*ProPublica*article published Thursday detailed extravagant trips that Thomas took that were funded by Crow.

Thomas did not disclose these trips*—*reportedly including travel on Crow’s private jet and visits to the resort*—*on his annual financial disclosure statements. Under the rules that existed until recently, he*may not have been required to.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna78696

So bet if we looked back at Bader Ginsburg, or Sotomayor one may find stuff as well... but seeing as the rules just changed this is just another witch hunt from the left. Now if you were seriously interested in looking into corruption and taking in government... you'd be screaming loudly about Joe Briben. But a course not a peep to be heard for the herd of sheep that bury their head in the sand when it comes to the Left.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:17 PM   #10
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Bill Clinton is a pig...and so is his wife.
I fixed that misspelling for you trigger. Bet you Clarence Thomas can define what a woman is... unlike the latest Liberal, Woke, Perivleged robe wearer to be seated.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:36 PM   #11
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
I fixed that misspelling for you trigger. Bet you Clarence Thomas can define what a woman is... unlike the latest Liberal, Woke, Perivleged robe wearer to be seated.
You're the gift that keeps giving
Thanks
Old 04-07-2023, 02:17 PM   #12
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Thanks
Oh you got me... POT. I have dealt with dyslexia all my life. NOW you keep an eye out for your next big Gotcha. Oh and as always with you... ya can't knock the content of the comment... only nitpick.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:22 PM   #13
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Oh you got me... POT. I have dealt with dyslexia all my life. NOW you keep an eye out for your next big Gotcha. Oh and as always with you... ya can't knock the content of the comment... only nitpick.
POT is strictly a fringe player who loves to complain about ruffled edges. Not qualified to get into the thick of it.
Old 04-07-2023, 02:27 PM   #14
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Thanks
Not very clever...not at all!
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2023, 02:53 PM   #15
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

My three favorite folks on this board all getting bent over my post.

It's a Good Friday indeed

Now, if I could just take down the late P4 at Kee....

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 04-07-2023 at 02:55 PM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: