Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-23-2022, 03:07 PM   #1
dilanesp

RIP Grindstone

Winner of a truly exciting Derby.

dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2022, 03:57 PM   #2
the little guy

Grindstone broke his maiden in a five horse field, at 3:1, on 6/11/95. Lukas had another first timer in the race that finished second at 1:2.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2022, 11:07 PM   #3
GMB@BP

Another baffert horse rebreaking after looking dead in the stretch.

I made a lot of money on that race and at the time I didnt have much money.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2022, 11:13 PM   #4
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Another baffert horse rebreaking after looking dead in the stretch.

I made a lot of money on that race and at the time I didnt have much money.
Grindstone was part of an entry with?
Old 03-23-2022, 11:22 PM   #5
Spalding No!

Brilliant ride on Unbridled's Song. Made a decisive move into the teeth of a hot pace set by a horse who would next out win the Met Mile and end up favored in that year's BC Sprint.

Too bad there was still a half mile left to run.

On review, not sure that it was the horse's bad feet that actually got him beat...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2022, 11:35 PM   #6
Swale

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Grindstone was part of an entry with?
Editor's Note.
Swale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2022, 11:59 PM   #7
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Brilliant ride on Unbridled's Song. Made a decisive move into the teeth of a hot pace set by a horse who would next out win the Met Mile and end up favored in that year's BC Sprint.

Too bad there was still a half mile left to run.

On review, not sure that it was the horse's bad feet that actually got him beat...
Fair point. Wasn't he wearing something called an egg bar shoe, or something like that?
Old 03-24-2022, 12:00 AM   #8
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swale View Post
Editor's Note.
Yup.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:49 AM   #9
Spalding No!

Quote:
Fair point. Wasn't he wearing something called an egg bar shoe, or something like that?
Yes; he might have had them on both.

That crop had some good horses, most of whom fell by the wayside or never reached their full potential. Unbridled's Song, Hennessy, Maria's Mon, Cavonnier, Will's Way, Grindstone, Prince of Thieves, Halo Sunshine, Odyle, Northern Afleet. Not sure why Honour and Glory and Gold Fever retired as 3yos. Louis Quatorze looked like he was going to be a monster 4yo but must have been hurt. Top stallions Elusive Quality and Distorted Humor came out of that crop, too.

To be fair, we did get Skip Away...but then again we also had to suffer through the utter futility of Editor's Note and Victory Speech as older horses.

And then there's Diligence.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:31 AM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swale View Post
Editor's Note.
I didn't have Grindstone, but I had Editor's Note big in the Belmont. A rare example of a Belmont that was full of speed horses. The pace collapse was obvious, and Editor's Note never got that kind of set-up ever again.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2022, 02:32 AM   #11
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I didn't have Grindstone, but I had Editor's Note big in the Belmont. A rare example of a Belmont that was full of speed horses. The pace collapse was obvious, and Editor's Note never got that kind of set-up ever again.
The Super Derby that year had a ton of speed. Arkansas Derby winner Zarb's Magic, uber filly Vivano, The Barking Shark, and Panamanian wonder rabbit Prince Heaven.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:25 AM   #12
the little guy

Quote:
Yes; he might have had them on both.

That crop had some good horses, most of whom fell by the wayside or never reached their full potential. Unbridled's Song, Hennessy, Maria's Mon, Cavonnier, Will's Way, Grindstone, Prince of Thieves, Halo Sunshine, Odyle, Northern Afleet. Not sure why Honour and Glory and Gold Fever retired as 3yos. Louis Quatorze looked like he was going to be a monster 4yo but must have been hurt. Top stallions Elusive Quality and Distorted Humor came out of that crop, too.

To be fair, we did get Skip Away...but then again we also had to suffer through the utter futility of Editor's Note and Victory Speech as older horses.

And then there's Diligence.
Maria's Mon was a brilliant 2YO but never recovered from the injury that kept him out of the BC Juvenile. When he returned midway in 1996 he wasn't remotely effective. Will's Way, who won the Travers, developed late ( he beat the once promising Robb at Belmont in his NW2X ), ran some great races with Skip Away and Formal Gold, particularly the Whitney, as a 4YO. Formal Gold didn't debut until the Summer of his 3YO year in 1996 at Monmouth, running one of the fastest Beyer debut figs ( 111 I think ). Louis Quatorze won his two races as a 4YO, including the Ben Ali at Keeneland, before being injured and unfortunately retired.

The King's Bishop was an amazing race in 1996 with Honour and Glory nailing Elusive Quality at the wire and Distorted Humor finishing third. One of the greatest crops ever.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:26 AM   #13
the little guy

Quote:
The Super Derby that year had a ton of speed. Arkansas Derby winner Zarb's Magic, uber filly Vivano, The Barking Shark, and Panamanian wonder rabbit Prince Heaven.
Never ever actually was the Super Derby a few months later:-)
Old 03-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #14
KirisClown

Quote:
Grindstone broke his maiden in a five horse field, at 3:1, on 6/11/95. Lukas had another first timer in the race that finished second at 1:2.
6/11, I wonder how you remember the exact date

I remember that maiden race though, Sierra Grande was the big favorite.
KirisClown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2022, 11:05 AM   #15
Spalding No!

Quote:
Maria's Mon was a brilliant 2YO but never recovered from the injury that kept him out of the BC Juvenile. When he returned midway in 1996 he wasn't remotely effective. Will's Way, who won the Travers, developed late ( he beat the once promising Robb at Belmont in his NW2X ), ran some great races with Skip Away and Formal Gold, particularly the Whitney, as a 4YO. Formal Gold didn't debut until the Summer of his 3YO year in 1996 at Monmouth, running one of the fastest Beyer debut figs ( 111 I think ). Louis Quatorze won his two races as a 4YO, including the Ben Ali at Keeneland, before being injured and unfortunately retired.

The King's Bishop was an amazing race in 1996 with Honour and Glory nailing Elusive Quality at the wire and Distorted Humor finishing third. One of the greatest crops ever.
Can't believe I left off Formal Gold.

It's worse than forgetting how to spell your first name.