Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 03-31-2023, 04:18 PM   #46
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
calculate early/late balance?
I haven't forgotten about this. Quick Grid version 1.31 is about to be released. I plan to roll out Balance in Version 1.4 in the not too distant future.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2023, 07:06 PM   #47
ranchwest

Here's what one user emailed today:

Exciting news. Can’t wait to see the new addition to an already great piece of work. Thanks

It's time for the rollout of Version 1.31 to begin, Friday and Saturday.

This new release will be especially great for pace handicappers. All of the pace factor calculations will be available for EVERY LINE available from BRIS (up to 10). Also included on the Pace (All Lines) Deep Dive will be Composite Pace, Pressure, Running Style, Alternate Running Style, Quirin Speed Points and Close Points, all 6 BRIS pace figures, all of the running positions and beaten lengths, comments, race classification, age restrictions and the weight. This will be a great aid in selecting pace lines!

Also included with the new release is the option to view more space between columns (ones not anchored to the left side). Many users have vision issues and this should help a lot. The option is to go up to 4 times as much space as previously provided. Setting is in Set Preferences.

Previously added were Deep Dive grids for Jockey Mounts for the card and Trainer Entries for the card.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:33 PM   #48
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
Here's what one user emailed today:

Exciting news. Can’t wait to see the new addition to an already great piece of work. Thanks

It's time for the rollout of Version 1.31 to begin, Friday and Saturday.

This new release will be especially great for pace handicappers. All of the pace factor calculations will be available for EVERY LINE available from BRIS (up to 10). Also included on the Pace (All Lines) Deep Dive will be Composite Pace, Pressure, Running Style, Alternate Running Style, Quirin Speed Points and Close Points, all 6 BRIS pace figures, all of the running positions and beaten lengths, comments, race classification, age restrictions and the weight. This will be a great aid in selecting pace lines!

Also included with the new release is the option to view more space between columns (ones not anchored to the left side). Many users have vision issues and this should help a lot. The option is to go up to 4 times as much space as previously provided. Setting is in Set Preferences.

Previously added were Deep Dive grids for Jockey Mounts for the card and Trainer Entries for the card.
Brilliant update. What you have stuffed into this simple grid platform is strong collection of handicapping factors. And, the new pace screen is very powerful and a visual handicap just by glancing at the pace figures stacked together by race date. All in one screen. I really like how simple this is to use. Thanks.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2023, 05:35 PM   #49
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
calculate early/late balance?
This is to confirm that Balance will be in Version 1.4 and the release will be this weekend.

Look for a post very soon about the MANY new features of Quick Grid.
Old 04-08-2023, 01:09 AM   #50
ranchwest

Change log for Version 1.4, which rolls out this weekend.

1) Fixes the bug that prevented the use of 4 Deep Dives... Jockey Mounts, Matchups, Silks/owners and Trainer Entries. This bug was introduced in the release that went out last weekend.

2) Introduces a new Deep Dive called Detective, which sleuths out the information that you want to see, but may forget to look up. There are currently 8 situations that can be reported when the situation exists:

a) 1st off claim
b) 2nd off claim
c) 3rd off claim
d) trainer change since the previous race
e) leaving the maiden ranks
f) returning to the maiden ranks (immediately following a non-maiden race)
g) no activity in 45 days (no races or workouts)

There will likely be more of these in subsequent releases.

3) Pace for Selected Lines and Pace for All Lines have had some columns moved around so that part of the sequence is TE, the 7 primary factors and the Composite of the 7 primary factors. This is a more logical sequence. In the Pace for Selected Lines grid, these columns also now carry an asterisk (*) for all horses ranked 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the factor based on the selected lines.

4) There's a minor correction to the computation of Composite pace.

5) Balance (BAL) has been added to the Pace for Selected Lines and the Pace for All Lines (based on the selected line).

6) The Deep Dive for Matchups now has column headers.

7) Odds of lines have been added to both Pace for Selected Lines and Pace for All Lines.

8) Trainers and Trainer Stats (with ratings) have been added to Pace for All Lines.

9) On the Workouts grid, the DESC column has been widened by one character for seeing "D", which means "around the dogs". "Dogs" are cones set up to protect the inner portion of the course. In working around the dogs, the horse works a longer distance than if the cones were not in place and the extra distance is (understandably) not reported in the BRIS data.

10) The Pace for All Lines now has more columns on the left anchored to the left side. This allows the user to see the distance and surface columns across the entire grid, which is important data if the grid is being used to select pace lines.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:39 PM   #51
Triopstor

Hi ranchwest!

I have a question of how long this work QUICK GRID SOFTWARE has been done, tested and researched?

I know the answer is your whole life. You have learned patience and the character to get a quality work done!

So when did the QUICK GRID SOFTWARE officially start in the making? I ask this for inspiration as I would like to eventually make a computer program myself.

Thanks ranchwest!

Triopstor.

Last edited by Triopstor; 04-26-2023 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Make more clear the question
Triopstor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2023, 03:12 PM   #52
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triopstor View Post
Hi ranchwest!

I have a question of how long this work QUICK GRID SOFTWARE has been done, tested and researched?

I know the answer is your whole life. You have learned patience and the character to get a quality work done!

So when did the QUICK GRID SOFTWARE officially start in the making? I ask this for inspiration as I would like to eventually make a computer program myself.

Thanks ranchwest!

Triopstor.
Thanks for your question.

Indeed, my knowledge has been developed over 50 years of handicapping.

I wrote my first commercial handicapping program in 1982. It was manual input for determining segment velocity and changes. It was rather simple, but helpful.

Fast forward to the mid 1990's when I began using downloaded data files. I continued developing and refining a program. I collected and developed many factors and angles over the years, discarding what didn't seem to be working. I had reasonable success with wagering until the state where I live decided to ban ADW's. So, I was limited to going in person to my local racetrack.

When I had quadruple bypass surgery in 2022, I decided that my trips to the track would probably be too infrequent for really serious wagering, so in November 2022 I started a re-write of my personal software to a system that wouldn't require so many computer tricks, batch files and such (I was a professional programmer). So, by that point I was over 25 years into my program.

By March of 2023, I had completed a re-write and released Quick Grid. Since that time, the program has been enhanced through several new releases offered to users with no upgrade charge.

The biggest trick in writing handicapping software (or any software) is to have a design that will mesh the various parts of the program without having to re-write all or significant parts of the program. It really takes quite a lot of programming experience to pull it all together.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:03 PM   #53
Triopstor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post

I had quadruple bypass surgery in 2022...

...I had completed a re-write... Since that time, the program has been enhanced through several new releases offered to users with no upgrade charge.

The biggest trick in writing handicapping software (or any software) is to have a design that will mesh the various parts of the program without having to re-write all or significant parts of the program. It really takes quite a lot of programming experience to pull it all together.

Wow ranchwest! A quadruple bypass. Just yesterday or recently I was thinking - need to take up jogging 3 times a week for 40 minute each session again and diet.

A re-write, so the Quick Grid program is a leaner cleaner fighting machine!

Cool! You don't charge for upgrades!

Meshing the software you say. I will think about that. Could be quite a challenge.

Eat more salmon for your arteries ranchwest! Omega-3!

Sincerely, Triopstor.

Last edited by Triopstor; 04-26-2023 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Make sentences more clear
Triopstor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2023, 04:39 PM   #54
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triopstor View Post
Wow ranchwest! A quadruple bypass. Just yesterday or recently I was thinking - need to take up jogging 3 times a week for 40 minute each session again and diet.

A re-write, so the Quick Grid program is a leaner cleaner fighting machine!

Cool! You don't charge for upgrades!

Meshing the software you say. I will think about that. Could be quite a challenge.

Eat more salmon for your arteries ranchwest! Omega-3!

Sincerely, Triopstor.
A Quick Grid purchase includes upgrades at no charge through the end of this year.

I recently had tests of the arteries in my neck and thighs and all was good. My health has improved significantly since before the surgery, though the surgery is quite major and has taken months of recovery.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:15 PM   #55
ranchwest

Quick Grid Version 1.5 has been released.

Major changes:

Adds Contenders, which are integrated throughout the program. Contenders are in 6 tiers.

Adds Reports, where every column of tables is sortable in both ascending and descending order.

Adds Links to useful internet resources.

The Detective Deep Dive has been expanded to include over 20 finds, such as Claim Backs and other claiming situations, layoffs, etc.

Improved odds line.

And many other updates.

For more information on Quick Grid, call 817-889-6212.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:03 PM   #56
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Glad to see your progress.
I know you put a lot of work into the project.
There is a lot of information in the Grid.

You can be proud!
Old 05-18-2023, 06:49 PM   #57
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Glad to see your progress.
I know you put a lot of work into the project.
There is a lot of information in the Grid.

You can be proud!
Thanks, Tom. There's been a lot of work to provide what users want, but it has been a lot of fun working on it. Now up to 16 grids.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:06 PM   #58
USMCGRUNT

Hello all- I would like to take a quick minute to come on here and say kudos to Ranch West's Quickgrid software. I am a long-time player who still considers himself a novice.

I was able to install Quickgrid easily and any question that I had he was readily available. He works longer hours than anyone I know. The added convenience to know someone is an email or call away to walk you through their program was huge.

For the limited knowledge I have on these programs, I really like it. It does exactly what I needed and hopefully it will do the same for you.

Just my two cents worth...

* I paid for the program. This is my own opinion and no one asked me to do it.
USMCGRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2023, 03:40 PM   #59
rlopez781

new program for bris files

I just want to make some comments on the Quickgrid Software by Ranchwest.
I think it's a great tool and specially for pace handicapping.You'll fine Composite
Pace,Pressure,Running Style,Alt RS,QSP,Randy Giles Speed Pts,Close Pts,and the 6 Bris Pace Figures...the new ver 1.5 has the Second Call Beaten Lengths,Balance, Total Pace Ratings and QDC(deceleration).Richard is open to any suggestions or comments on his program.I enclosed my 2023 Preakness
Win Contenders which is on the Report column.

Ray

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 05-19-23 at 12.10 PM.PNG (51.1 KB, 136 views)
rlopez781 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2023, 09:59 PM   #60
Jake

Ranchwest,

That's a great new upgrade to your program. The new contenders' grid and
report function should make your users happy. It looks likes you have been
burning the midnight oil, that's a quick update after your most recent revision.
The utility in these factors are really impressive, at least in my opinion. Good
companion app for using the platform betting sites, very quick lookup for form,
class, speed, and pace factors. Makes handicapping quickly on the fly much easier.

Jake
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: