Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #5086
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
There's that much relied upon R0 number...unless you provide a whole lot of context around the r0s you are tossing about, it's pretty meaningless:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3157160/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/p...tious-diseases

Oh, but it's a SCARY number...isn't it? Used in movies like CONTAGION....you don't even realize what it represents and what it does not represent.

More attempts to SCARE...lol
As I told you, your links are pathethic trying to invalidate R.O. numbers.

An update.....

What Is R0? Gauging Contagious Infections
https://www.healthline.com/health/r-...number#meaning

If R0 is less than 1, each existing infection causes less than one new infection. In this case, the disease will decline and eventually die out.
If R0 equals 1, each existing infection causes one new infection. The disease will stay alive and stable, but there won’t be an outbreak or an epidemic.
If R0 is more than 1, each existing infection causes more than one new infection. The disease will be transmitted between people, and there may be an outbreak or epidemic.

For example, in 1918 there was a worldwide outbreak of the swine flu that killed 50 million people. According to a review article published in BMC Medicine, the R0 value of the 1918 pandemic was estimated to be between 1.4 and 2.8.

But when the swine flu, or H1N1 virus, came back in 2009, its R0 value was between 1.4 and 1.6, report researchers in the journal Science. The existence of vaccines and antiviral drugs made the 2009 outbreak much less deadly.
COVID-19 R0

The R0 for COVID-19 is a median of 5.7, according to a study published online in Emerging Infectious Diseases. That’s about double an earlier R0 estimate of 2.2 to 2.7

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article

The 5.7 means that one person with COVID-19 can potentially transmit the coronavirus to 5 to 6 people, rather than the 2 to 3 researchers originally thought.

I know, the "flu is laughing at covid" according to certain pandemic deniers

Last edited by hcap; 05-19-2020 at 01:33 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #5087
Thebart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
I can't tell you how many times I've gotten up each morning and while making coffee was thinking about how to kill granny today. And she didn't have a dime to her name. Just think if she had had $100 in her pocket.

I laugh when I see articles like this, and they go both ways. So and so wants to feed lead to your baby to make them dumb, or so and so supports drunk drivers that will kill your child. Nobody supports any of that stuff and most people can recognize that it is garbage. Can you?
Here's what I remember. When Obama was trying to get a health care plan passed the right-wing republicans were relentless in fabricating b.s. stories like the plan contained provisions that would lead to many grannies being denied health care. The pitch was that doctors would be able to deny treatment to old people.

Fast forward a decade and you actually have elected republican officials telling us that it may be a good thing for old folks to just hang it up and die to save the economy. The Lt. Governor of Texas actually did this.

It is hard to figure that so many have suddenly given up on the "culture of life" they claimed to support. But, on Planet Trump, nothing is more "sacred" than making a deal to make a buck. Hell, he's been delighted to sell the Saudi gangsters advanced weapons because it was "good for business." The fact that the same Saudi's chopped up and dismembered a reporter is meaningless to Trump and his cadre of thugs. But then, seventeen of the 9/11 terrorists were Saudis too. For the right price all is forgiven in Trump world.
Thebart is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #5088
delayjf

Quote:
The fact that the same Saudi's chopped up and dismembered a reporter is meaningless to Trump and his cadre of thugs.
One reporter compared to thousands killed by terrorist supported by Iran or should I say President Obama.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #5089
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebart View Post
Here's what I remember. When Obama was trying to get a health care plan passed the right-wing republicans were relentless in fabricating b.s. stories like the plan contained provisions that would lead to many grannies being denied health care. The pitch was that doctors would be able to deny treatment to old people.

Fast forward a decade and you actually have elected republican officials telling us that it may be a good thing for old folks to just hang it up and die to save the economy. The Lt. Governor of Texas actually did this.

It is hard to figure that so many have suddenly given up on the "culture of life" they claimed to support. But, on Planet Trump, nothing is more "sacred" than making a deal to make a buck. Hell, he's been delighted to sell the Saudi gangsters advanced weapons because it was "good for business." The fact that the same Saudi's chopped up and dismembered a reporter is meaningless to Trump and his cadre of thugs. But then, seventeen of the 9/11 terrorists were Saudis too. For the right price all is forgiven in Trump world.
Sharp post

I liked the racehorse and how this poster thinks.
Stick around, Mr. Bart. You may not be popular, though.
Don't take it personally. They don't have a clue.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #5090
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

I call BS - provide link where that was said.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #5091
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
Sharp post

I liked the racehorse and how this poster thinks.
Stick around, Mr. Bart. You may not be popular, though.
Don't take it personally. They don't have a clue.
Yeah, but you think Jello is sharp!
Old 05-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #5092
Thebart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...portant-things
Thebart is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #5093
horses4courses

Here's the real BS merchant

Quote:
Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said it, chimp.
You need to study up a little more, obviously.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...s-grandparents

[quoteTexas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick, who is of the opinion that old people, i.e. those most at risk, should volunteer to die to save the economy.][/quote]

chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #5094
Poindexter

Quote:
You really think that

is the same as:

Patrick said on Fox News’s “Tucker Carlson Tonight” that he was “vindicated” after being criticized for saying in March that he thought “lots of grandparents” across the country would risk their survival to keep the country afloat economically.

“There are more important things than living, and that’s saving this country for my children and grandchildren and saving this country for all of us,” he said Monday.

“I don’t want to die," he added. “Nobody wants to die, but man we gotta take some risks and get back in the game and get this country back up and running.”

Like I said left = Lost.

I think you should make a guest appearance on MSNBC. They will love you.

Just like soldiers give up their lives, limbs and mental stability for the freedom of this country, he is saying that many grandparents will sacrifice a lot of "safety" for a better future for their children and grandchildren. Given the fact that they(the grandparents) have the option of staying at home, they really don't have much risk at all(unless of course they were in a nursing home in Democratic states......) Getting the economy back on track is vital for everyone in this country. Unless of course you are very wealthy and you can sit at home, eat ice cream and lecture all those who are struggling and watching their families go hungry...sort of like Nancy Pelosi does. You know, it is just inconvenient.

By the way I am still waiting for all the stories about the streets of these reopened economies lined up with body bags. It seems like there are more body bags in the locked up states. Go figure.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 PM   #5095
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Well, he isn't hiding home in his basement, unable to go outside - much like a vampire.

He is either:

1. taking it
2. not taking it

Either way, he has certain shook YOU guys up!

Just before he announced he was taking it, he turned to Pence and said, "Here, hold my beer and watch this...."

Old 05-19-2020, 09:50 PM   #5096
MargieRose

Quote:

Lt. Governor Dan Patrick of Texas "did" no such thing. You've got your governors confused.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2020, 01:54 AM   #5097
clicknow

The most mathematically logical way forward, when it comes to all the arguments over numbers, is to calculate excess deaths.

Simply compare deaths from all causes in the weeks of any location’s outbreak in March and April 2020 to the average for the same period between 2015 and 2019.

FT did that, and the total amounts to a 50% rise in overall mortality relative to the historical average for the locations studied.

So even if some of these deaths may be the result of causes other than Covid-19, excess mortality has risen most steeply in places suffering the worst Covid-19 outbreaks...... suggesting most of these deaths are directly related to the virus rather than simply side-effects of lockdowns, people not going to doctor for underlying health problems, etc.

https://www.ft.com/content/6bd88b7d-...9-0d5c6fac846c
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2020, 03:24 AM   #5098
Poindexter

By the way more nursing home madness in Pennsylvania, more Tucker. See the clip at around the 23:30 mark. Rest of the show after that is good also.

Just like NY, nursing homes required to admit covid patients. Only this time state health director moved her own mother out of the nursing home and then forced covid patients to be admitted on 3/18.. 2/3rds of covid deaths in PA are from nursing homes.

But we are the heartless ones, because we want to go to work and open our businesses.

By the way Los Angeles County which may be on some kind of lockdown until there is a cure or vaccine(which of course may never happen) has had half of its deaths in nursing homes and 92% of those dead had underlying conditions. Currently there have been about 1913 dead of covid-19 in LA County. So that means about 153 that died in a county of 10 million people did not have underlying conditions. If you used that stat for our entire population which I believe is around 330 million that would be 5049 people dead, and Los Angeles County is the bad apple in California with half the deaths in 1/4th of the population.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...homes/2363351/

So I repeat, why are we locking down an entire economy when government is inept at protecting the nursing home population (they are probably too worried about protecting the dry sand on the beach) and it is fairly obvious who is vulnerable and who isn't. Young healthy people are not at serious risk and those that are remain free to lock away as long as they want.

This is downright maddening. There is no rational explanation for this continued overreaction. Left=Lost. We did what we can do and people have to make there own decisions and take their own risks. People are not stupid (there are some exceptions) and most do not want to die or risk dying. We do not need Mommy and Daddy Government mandating how we should behave. Most people are intelligent enough to assess their own risk and take appropriate measures. The ones that aren't will not stay locked down anyhow.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:31 AM   #5099
Poindexter

By the way I just was curious to see what party the Governor was for the states hardest hit by the Covid-19.

So her are the states with the highest Death Counts per Million Population.

1) New York Democrat
2) New Jersey Democrat
3) Connecticut Democrat
4) Massachusetts Republican
5) District of Columbia Democrat
6) Louisiana Democrat
7) Michigan Democrat
8) Rhode Island Democrat
9) Pennsylvania Democrat
10) Illinois Democrat
11) Maryland Republican
12) Delaware Democrat

All 12 of these states are above the USA of 283 deaths per million.

There are 2 others that are above 200.

13) Indiana Republican
14) Colorado Democrat

So of the top 14 states 11 Democrats and 3 Republicans.

Given that if you take the 50 states plus DC and you have 26 Republican Governors and 25 Democrat Governors and one has to wonder why 10 of the 12 above average states have Governors that are Democrats.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:39 AM   #5100
clicknow

Quote:
It is hard to figure that so many have suddenly given up on the "culture of life" they claimed to support.
Keep in mind, election is in 6-ish months, and this is a very partisan nation at present, and this is a very partisan board with a very strong Republican support among members.

Not sure what you are looking for but I think until you get past the partisan politics you're not going to get to the truth. I think circuses, finger-pointing, and digging up dirt on each other will continue, un-abated, until a least few months after the elections, probably more like a 1-2 years.

The partisan politics of the US has become the supermarket tabloid, and will continue that way, until The People decide they don't want that anymore. (Unfortunately, I think they will opt for the continued entertainment value myself, because obtaining "good government" is very hard work....)

The virus finger pointing will continue, since the US has barely 4.25% of the world’s population....yet approx. 32% of the world’s covid-19 cases, and approx. 28% of the world’s deaths. So obviously there are some "leadership problems" going on, and certainly all over the place in both parties, and only someone very foolish would try to pin it on any one person or side. But they can try.

Seems like a lot of "protect the unborn" on both sides ((because it's not only republicans who are right to life out of the people I personally know) yet many instances where we seemingly have not protected the vulnerable elderly. This isn't one persons fault, because elderly people are not considered a particularly valuable demographic in this country, regardless of politics, and that was pretty clear before covid-19 and a generally accepted part of our culture which has been written about extensively for many decades now.

( Something we don't wish to look too closely at, I guess. )

Last edited by clicknow; 05-20-2020 at 05:44 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply