Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-26-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Fonner Park

For the 3rd time in the short spring meet, Fonner Park will be raising their purses.

This is significant news for a racing community that does indeed love their horse racing, but doesn't get much of "good" horse racing. $2,500 claimers and Maiden races don't exactly excite many people for good reason.

Yes, we know, racing in Nebraska is not even a blip on the radar of 99% of the horse racing community. I can't blame you. Not since Jack Van Berg, Aksarben, and Alysheba; has Nebraska mattered much in this great sport.

But we are trying. And amid the biggest flooding the state has seen in 50 years and the woe is me world, racing is getting to be exciting again in the middle of nowhere.

Just last week a threesome of folks cashed a $91K ticket on a group $60 ticket in a P5 Jackpot pool. Maybe not a life changer, but for a track in which $20 Exactas are the norm, that is some pretty damn good stuff.

Now? For the third straight weekend, amid crowds nearing the likes of the good ol' days, Fonner is raising purse money yet again.

Many many thanks to Chris Kotulak who left Remington Park to come back home.

Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #2
maclr11

I for one am ready for the Bosselman tomorrow!
maclr11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2019, 02:02 AM   #3
jay68802

Just quoting LDH here. He has done a great job!
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2019, 02:43 AM   #4
Teentrifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
For the 3rd time in the short spring meet, Fonner Park will be raising their purses.

This is significant news for a racing community that does indeed love their horse racing, but doesn't get much of "good" horse racing. $2,500 claimers and Maiden races don't exactly excite many people for good reason.

Yes, we know, racing in Nebraska is not even a blip on the radar of 99% of the horse racing community. I can't blame you. Not since Jack Van Berg, Aksarben, and Alysheba; has Nebraska mattered much in this great sport.

But we are trying. And amid the biggest flooding the state has seen in 50 years and the woe is me world, racing is getting to be exciting again in the middle of nowhere.

Just last week a threesome of folks cashed a $91K ticket on a group $60 ticket in a P5 Jackpot pool. Maybe not a life changer, but for a track in which $20 Exactas are the norm, that is some pretty damn good stuff.

Now? For the third straight weekend, amid crowds nearing the likes of the good ol' days, Fonner is raising purse money yet again.

https://twitter.com/FonnerRacing/sta...42631130144768
You peaked my interest at a threesome of folks, but I guess a $91k pick5 ticket is almost as exciting.
Teentrifecta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
Afleet

Can they add a chute to make 6F races 1 turn?
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
Can they add a chute to make 6F races 1 turn?
Not enough room, unless they get rid of some stables.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
Vinnie

Awesome news all the way around. Growing up in NE and really never knowing what a horse race really was until long after the unfortunate departure of Aksarben, I am thrilled to hear any positive news about a possible upswing to the Nebraska racing scene. Keep the good news coming.....

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #8
Thomas Roulston

Congratulations to Fonner Park.

But I still miss Ak-Sar-Ben.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
delayjf

Quote:
But I still miss Ak-Sar-Ben.
Not a day goes by that I don't reminisce about the good old days at Ak-SAR-BEN. I worked as a groom for R E Lee and Orville Kemling back in the days when he had both Amadevil and Roman Zipper. I lived on the backstretch during the 1981 meet.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2019, 02:04 PM   #10
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
1981 was the first year I took up betting on horses.

Because I grew up in Phoenix, Turf Paradise was where I cut my teeth as a handicapper.

One of the first custom data points I created was a class rating based on earnings and who beat who. The rating gave me a basic understanding as to the pecking order of the better horses on the grounds.

I recall that the several of the allowance horses running at Turf Paradise that year had one thing in common. A look at their past running lines revealed many had raced at AKS and had been soundly dusted by a horse named Bobby Ben.

I never saw him run. But my class ratings suggested he was something of a monster (at least compared to the better local horses stabled at Turf Paradise that year.)

-jp

Old 04-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Probably a good track to discard speed and pace figures since all races are hand timed. I do my best to make numbers but I'd never make a bet there based on them.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2020, 09:56 PM   #12
horses4courses

Good crowds

No problems at Fonner Park getting a big crowd on Saturdays.

horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2020, 10:24 PM   #13
46zilzal
velocitician

excellent news all around
Old 03-08-2020, 11:24 PM   #14
jay68802

Saturday was a blast. Nice to be there and have a crowd. To watch races there I like to go to the concourse right next to the track. Three years ago I might have been 1 of 50 people there. Saturday, there was anywhere from 150 to 200 people out there. A co-worker told me he was going to the races for the first time Saturday. So I gave him picks for all the races. Had 6 of 10 winners. Hope they had fun.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:11 AM   #15
clicknow

Such great news!

I would love to go to Fonner Park. Sounds like my kinda place. Everyone I know who goes there loves it and is very loyal to their track.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply