Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
rumsplash

Smallest jockey

Being brought up around Aqueduct ..Does anyone remember Richard Privatera..That was smallest jock I ever saw..
rumsplash is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
eastie
Double Secret Probation

The Little Colonel William Klinke is the smallest I ever saw. If the money was down. you could depend on Billy. His brother was an enormous lineman who played in the NFL.
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumsplash
Being brought up around Aqueduct ..Does anyone remember Richard Privatera..That was smallest jock I ever saw..

I saw the name of the thread and thought of him immediately.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
ManeMediaMogul

Rick Privatera rode a race for me at Golden Gate or Bay Meadows. He was a tiny guy.

Johnny Adams was pretty small too. When he trained for Glen Hill Farm, he had a five-step staircase built that he used to climb up to get on his pony.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Maryland Owner

There was a rider at Charles Town years ago named William Gray - he was quite small.
Maryland Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
juanepstein
devo-lutionizing

australian jock chris munce is a lilliputian but has ballz the size of watermelons when it comes to racing.
juanepstein is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
JWBurnie

Joe Riston - CT

Joe Riston is the smallest I have ever seen. On certain horses he would walk under (slight nod) rather than going around when tacking up.
JWBurnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastie
The Little Colonel William Klinke is the smallest I ever saw. If the money was down. you could depend on Billy. His brother was an enormous lineman who played in the NFL.
Billy Klinke got my one of my "first" Big Trifectas when he ran 3rd in a race at Tampa Bay that was won by Chin Yang @ 30/1 in the mid-90's..I Had to survive an inquiry on the win and a photo won by "The Little Colonel" for show.
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it Klinke & Vernon Bush that got caught by Police in a "Bolivian Snowstorm" while parked in a car in the fabulous '80s???
[/url]
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
Bruddah
Veteran

Hey Juanepstein

Thanks for the pictures. Those young ladies make a very fine line up and I wouldn't mind being the jockey for that group. Well, if somebodies gonna do it, Why not the old guy?

But seriously Juan, you're gonna have to get out of that dark room and away from your computer for awhile. Your other picture shows you are lacking "live" social interaction.

Never the less, the girls added a nice moment to my day.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
Valuist

Among guys who get a decent amount of mounts, Eddie Perez comes to mind. And going back a few years, Rick Evans.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #11
mountainman

Shoemaker was one of the smallest I've met. And I think his size provided him an advantage. Bigger riders can't perch their weight as far forward over the horse's strong withers as can littler jocks. Tiny guys with good hands and balance get the most run from a horse.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-20-2009 at 03:29 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
LIH

hogwash. Have you watched Ramon Dominquez? NOT a small guy, moves all over an animal like Ned the Coachman, but sure gets run out of a horse. That is because the horses he's riding CAN run. He sure doesn't get in their way, and prevent them from running or winning for that matter. I am not believing that a smaller jockey who can "perch" a certain way is going to win the races RD wins by more lengths getting more run out of one.

Last edited by LIH; 03-20-2009 at 06:41 PM.
LIH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #13
juanepstein
devo-lutionizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruddah
Thanks for the pictures. Those young ladies make a very fine line up and I wouldn't mind being the jockey for that group. Well, if somebodies gonna do it, Why not the old guy?

But seriously Juan, you're gonna have to get out of that dark room and away from your computer for awhile. Your other picture shows you are lacking "live" social interaction.

Never the less, the girls added a nice moment to my day.
lol,
Carl Brutananadilewski!!!!!!!!!

rules
juanepstein is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #14
SaratogaSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
I saw the name of the thread and thought of him immediately.
Same here. I seem to remember him getting mounts in some handicap races on horses weighted at 102 & 103 pounds...
SaratogaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2009, 12:39 AM   #15
boomman

Smaller jockeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Among guys who get a decent amount of mounts, Eddie Perez comes to mind. And going back a few years, Rick Evans.
You nailed it with Rick Evans, as I worked with him when he was a steward at Albuquerque, and although he certainly had to be one of the smaller riders and came to mind immediately, he is a "big" man in the booth and was great to work with. Also a great guy and had a beer with him at Hawthorne a few years ago after the races. He's still there as a steward as far as I know..........

Boomer

Last edited by boomman; 03-21-2009 at 12:47 AM.
boomman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply