Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
CheckMark

Help! Brisnet Ultimate pp’s question

Hello.

Sorry should have not put help on the title but would like to find a good way of using Brisnet Ultimate pp’s.

I have been playing around with the pp’s and also the Ultimate race summary but no luck on finding something working for me. Tried ACL, tried early speed points, tried most positive factors, tried best prime power, tried combined factors for Ultimate summary, tried best late horse, tried Trainer stats and none of that sadly worked for me. I am not crying a river just trying to get a good stream rolling and something that can work for me. Sorry for asking to many dumb questions about Longshots and speed figures. Just want to improve on my game with pps, making selections and constructing tickets all at 19 years old and hope for the best everyday using something new!

Any suggestions on what to look for or use to point out a winner (maybe )would be helpful so I can use a strategy for upcoming meets like Woodbine.

Thank you everyone and I hope to find something new!
Old 06-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

When you say it's not working what do you mean? your betting the top ACL horse and it doesn’t work? your betting the top late horse and that hasn’t worked? need more info.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #3
Onesome

I went through all those types of theories years ago trying to find the answer to the question I thought was demanded of me.

'who is going to win'

My results improved when I realized that was the wrong question to be asking.
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
When you say it's not working what do you mean? your betting the top ACL horse and it doesn’t work? your betting the top late horse and that hasn’t worked? need more info.
What I mean is that when I bet each of the categories by itself, it doesn’t work(well hits sometimes but not really) just would like a different way of looking at the Ultimate pp’s. Thanks if you can or anyone else.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #5
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Hello.
Just want to improve on my game with pps, making selections and constructing tickets all at 19 years old and hope for the best everyday using something new!

Any suggestions on what to look for or use to point out a winner (maybe )would be helpful so I can use a strategy for upcoming meets like Woodbine.

Thank you everyone and I hope to find something new!
Whoops I meant 18 and not 19
Old 06-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
PressThePace

Quote:
What I mean is that when I bet each of the categories by itself, it doesn’t work(well hits sometimes but not really) just would like a different way of looking at the Ultimate pp’s. Thanks if you can or anyone else.
I'll try to go down the line and give what I think is important. But, with one important caveat. The PP's won't tell you who to bet and how. It might help uncover some value in certain situations, but it's not like there will be some system that will lead to bags of money.

Prime Power: Use sparingly in races with inexperienced runners. It simply isn't going to be consistent in picking contenders. Even if you're dealing with a field of maiden claimers with multiple races under their belt, there are other factors I would look at, primarily best pace E1/E2. For older horses, my cutoff is six points, unless the top ranked horse is changing distance/surface or viewed as a negative drop.

Avg Class: This is useful in races with runners coming out of multiple race types, such as distance and surface. If you have a runner going from dirt to turf, it might help you with how that horse has fared vs the company it's been keeping on that surface. Again, not something I would depend on for maiden races.

Current Class: If all of the runners are coming out of the same types of races, it can be very useful, particularly in turf races. No use in maiden races again.

Back Speed: One of my favorite things about Ultimate PP's. This is a spot where you can find some potential bombs, provided the horse's recent form is muddied a bit.

Avg Race Rating: Again, another one of my favorites. This rating is akin to a competition gauge (at today's surface/distance). Doesn't mean a horse with a lower rating can't win, but it will generally be a horse that is improving or has a distinct pace advantage.

Best Pace Love this category for experienced maiden claimers and NW2L. Look for good early numbers that stand out. It's amazing how often those horses do well, provided their most recent form verifies what you are seeing.

ACL This category helps me spot potential negative droppers in claiming events and even some allowance types. If the number is markedly higher than the rest and it's class numbers stand out as well, I proceed with caution regarding that horse.

I'm busy today, but I may be able to provide examples later. Hope this helps just a little.

Last edited by PressThePace; 06-02-2020 at 09:17 AM.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
jefftune

I've been using Brisnet Ultimate pp's w/comments for years (the comments will clue you in on positives and negatives for each horse). Here is basically how I begin to handicap a race.
First I look at the Track Bias Stats. What type of horse wins at this distance at this racetrack? For example I'm looking at Belmont for this week. At 6f turf races last fall, 36 percent were won by late closers ('S' style runners). And only 12 percent won wire to wire. On the other hand at 6f on the dirt, 40 percent were won wire to wire and only 8 percent won by 'S' runners (and only 4 percent won from post 8+). Good info.
Knowing this info I then look at the Race Summary and the E1,E2, and late pace figs for possible contenders or standouts. Then I look in detail at the individual runners. Trainer stats, jockey/trainer stats, recent form, etc. Keep in mind negative trainer stats are as important as posiitive ones!
I don't even look at Prime Power or ACL (I don't even know what ACL is).

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
jefftune is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
I'll try to go down the line and give what I think is important. But, with one important caveat. The PP's won't tell you who to bet and how. It might help uncover some value in certain situations, but it's not like there will be some system that will lead to bags of money.

Prime Power: Use sparingly in races with inexperienced runners. It simply isn't going to be consistent in picking contenders. Even if you're dealing with a field of maiden claimers with multiple races under their belt, there are other factors I would look at, primarily best pace E1/E2. For older horses, my cutoff is six points, unless the top ranked horse is changing distance/surface or viewed as a negative drop.

Avg Class: This is useful in races with runners coming out of multiple race types, such as distance and surface. If you have a runner going from dirt to turf, it might help you with how that horse has fared vs the company it's been keeping on that surface. Again, not something I would depend on for maiden races.

Current Class: If all of the runners are coming out of the same types of races, it can be very useful, particularly in turf races. No use in maiden races again.

Back Speed: One of my favorite things about Ultimate PP's. This is a spot where you can find some potential bombs, provided the horse's recent form is muddied a bit.

Avg Race Rating: Again, another one of my favorites. This rating is akin to a competition gauge (at today's surface/distance). Doesn't mean a horse with a lower rating can't win, but it will generally be a horse that is improving or has a distinct pace advantage.

Best Pace Love this category for experienced maiden claimers and NW2L. Look for good early numbers that stand out. It's amazing how often those horses do well, provided their most recent form verifies what you are seeing.

ACL This category helps me spot potential negative droppers in claiming events and even some allowance types. If the number is markedly higher than the rest and it's class numbers stand out as well, I proceed with caution regarding that horse.

I'm busy today, but I may be able to provide examples later. Hope this helps just a little.
WOW! Lots of info there! Thank you and will use this!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftune View Post
I've been using Brisnet Ultimate pp's w/comments for years (the comments will clue you in on positives and negatives for each horse). Here is basically how I begin to handicap a race.
First I look at the Track Bias Stats. What type of horse wins at this distance at this racetrack? For example I'm looking at Belmont for this week. At 6f turf races last fall, 36 percent were won by late closers ('S' style runners). And only 12 percent won wire to wire. On the other hand at 6f on the dirt, 40 percent were won wire to wire and only 8 percent won by 'S' runners (and only 4 percent won from post 8+). Good info.
Knowing this info I then look at the Race Summary and the E1,E2, and late pace figs for possible contenders or standouts. Then I look in detail at the individual runners. Trainer stats, jockey/trainer stats, recent form, etc. Keep in mind negative trainer stats are as important as posiitive ones!
I don't even look at Prime Power or ACL (I don't even know what ACL is).

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
Yes that also sounds like a good plan! Thank you!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #10
bobbyb

For me, I learned a long time ago to Specialize.
I only play Turf races. The exception being Md Claimers on the Turf.
For the next while I suggest paper play. See if Male/Female Clm's show for you. Perhaps it's allowance runners, whatever. Give it time and you may see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Above all, Keep Records!
bobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #11
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyb View Post
For me, I learned a long time ago to Specialize.
I only play Turf races. The exception being Md Claimers on the Turf.
For the next while I suggest paper play. See if Male/Female Clm's show for you. Perhaps it's allowance runners, whatever. Give it time and you may see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Above all, Keep Records!
Yea that is what I was thinking about keeping records on what specific class/distances/surfaces/age/gender I can pick winners or ITm finishes

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #12
mhaney0423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesome View Post
I went through all those types of theories years ago trying to find the answer to the question I thought was demanded of me.

'who is going to win'

My results improved when I realized that was the wrong question to be asking.
This is EXACTLY it. Please pay attention to this statement above by Onesome. Took me almost 30 years and a lot of $ to realize this.
mhaney0423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #13
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaney0423 View Post
This is EXACTLY it. Please pay attention to this statement above by Onesome. Took me almost 30 years and a lot of $ to realize this.
Can you elaborate on this please?
Old 06-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this please?
It isn't about which horse is going to win, it is about which horses are good bets. Figures those out and you'll get enough winners to make a profit.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Whoops I meant 18 and not 19
You forgot how old you are?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply