Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 05-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
fmhealth

New betting rules & the stock market

For my fellow capper's who may also be traders, attached is an informative missive that may prove to be actionable.

Be Well,
fmhealth

https://seekingalpha.com/article/417...oadblock=false
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhealth View Post
For my fellow capper's who may also be traders, attached is an informative missive that may prove to be actionable.

Be Well,
fmhealth

https://seekingalpha.com/article/417...oadblock=false
Only a gambling illiterate would write an article such as the one above. The betting handle of the existing street bookies will "diminish greatly" as a result of this Supreme Court decision? Let's see now: I want to bet 5 football games for $500 each; should I pick up the phone and call in my bet to my bookie on credit...or should I put all the money up front with a legal betting outlet, while paying a higher takeout.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Only a gambling illiterate would write an article such as the one above. The betting handle of the existing street bookies will "diminish greatly" as a result of this Supreme Court decision? Let's see now: I want to bet 5 football games for $500 each; should I pick up the phone and call in my bet to my bookie on credit...or should I put all the money up front with a legal betting outlet, while paying a higher takeout.
Remember when bookies made tons of money taking betting on the number? Bookies paid at 640 to 1. The state took over the game, paid 500 to 1 and drove the bookies out of that business. Don't be so quick to assume people will make illegal bets with the books.

I'm thankful I don't get to bet horses on credit.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Remember when bookies made tons of money taking betting on the number? Bookies paid at 640 to 1. The state took over the game, paid 500 to 1 and drove the bookies out of that business. Don't be so quick to assume people will make illegal bets with the books.

I'm thankful I don't get to bet horses on credit.
Assuming that I am placing sports bets with a street bookie now...what possible reason could I have to switch my action to a legal bookie once the new laws are implemented? Surely you don't believe all these lies going around about the street bookies stiffing their customers.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Assuming that I am placing sports bets with a street bookie now...what possible reason could I have to switch my action to a legal bookie once the new laws are implemented? Surely you don't believe all these lies going around about the street bookies stiffing their customers.
I never had any trouble with my bookie. I was just passing along what I saw in NY after they started doing the 3-digit and 4-digit daily numbers to point out that people would take a lower return for the safety of a legal lottery. I can't explain why they would do it, but that's what they did.

That's what first soured me on government controlled gambling. It was a crime when private individuals did it, but a legitimate revenue source when the state does it.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I never had any trouble with my bookie. I was just passing along what I saw in NY after they started doing the 3-digit and 4-digit daily numbers to point out that people would take a lower return for the safety of a legal lottery. I can't explain why they would do it, but that's what they did.

That's what first soured me on government controlled gambling. It was a crime when private individuals did it, but a legitimate revenue source when the state does it.
Not much difference between Government's and the criminal's then.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
tophatmert

State and local governments will most likely pay more attention to illegal bookmaking than they do now. Up until now BMs were only taking some poor gamblers money now they are taking the states money. Jesus , this could make illegal bookmaking a crime.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: