Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
_______
Veteran

Trump's VP

Earlier, I suggested that no one who wanted a national political career beyond 2016 would want to be associated with a poisonous general election candidate like Trump.

His short list is allegedly Chris Christie, Newt Gingrich, Jeff Sessions, and Mary Fallin.

So...

The unpopular governor from a state he has no chance of winning, a man so far removed from electoral politics that a losing vice presidential bid would be a step up for him, someone from a state so safe for Republican's that he could nominate Satan and still carry it, and a female no one outside of Tulsa has ever heard of (Sorry CJ).

I'm sticking with my original predication even though they haven't made the short list. It's William Miller or bust. Although he was vetted better than I imagine whatever loser winds up living under the sword of Damocles from Trump.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______

His short list is allegedly Chris Christie, Newt Gingrich, Jeff Sessions, and Mary Fallin.
I think Sarah Palin is still available.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
I think Sarah Palin is still available.
I think even Trump has read her expiration date for national politics.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #4
horses4courses

Quote:
I think even Trump has read her expiration date for national politics.
There's an open spot for her on "The Apprentice II" at a moment's notice.

It will be "must see TV" come 2017.
Trump and Palin on the show.
What's the over/under on her hearing "you're fired"?
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
Clocker

It looks like Newt is making an all-out run for the VP race as he flip-flops on his long term position on trade.

Quote:
Former Speaker Newt Gingrich, under consideration as Donald Trump’s running mate, is dropping his decades-long support of free trade deals and picking up Trump’s strongly protectionist position.

“I basically agree with Trump’s speech on trade,” Gingrich said in an email to POLITICO on Friday.

That represents a significant shift for Gingrich, who championed trade agreements while a congressional leader, and a move that would smooth over one of the biggest policy differences between the two men who could form the Republican ticket.

Trump delivered a scathing rebuke of America’s trade policies in Pennsylvania this week, calling the North American Free Trade Agreement, which Gingrich helped approve while in Congress, “the worst trade deal" in U.S. history and vowing to renegotiate it. Trump also said he would pull out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade pact negotiated by the Obama administration.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
It looks like Newt is making an all-out run for the VP race as he flip-flops on his long term position on trade.
Newt is probably the best choice, he has baggage but not really any more than Clinton , he knows D.C. inside and out, has name recognition and would give some creditibility to Trump. From his perspective it would put him back on the national stage, something he craves badly.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
Newt is probably the best choice, he has baggage but not really any more than Clinton , he knows D.C. inside and out, has name recognition and would give some creditibility to Trump. From his perspective it would put him back on the national stage, something he craves badly.
The traditional role of a VP in a campaign is the attack dog while the top of the ticket stays above the fray. I could see Gingrich relishing that role but but wonder how willing Trump would be to relinquish it.

I don't know how much sway Gingrich still has in Georgia but assuming he still has some it might also shore up a state that now looks light pink, not deep red.

He is apparently not waiting for the convention any longer. Looks like the pick will be out this week.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
There's an open spot for her on "The Apprentice II" at a moment's notice.

It will be "must see TV" come 2017.
Trump and Palin on the show.
What's the over/under on her hearing "you're fired"?
It probably won't really matter. Your dumbass will likely win just the your last dumbass did. The voting majority now in this country are liberal dumbasses like yourself so like I said, who he chooses is probably irrelevant.
I do like Newt, however.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #9
zico20

Quote:
The traditional role of a VP in a campaign is the attack dog while the top of the ticket stays above the fray. I could see Gingrich relishing that role but but wonder how willing Trump would be to relinquish it.

I don't know how much sway Gingrich still has in Georgia but assuming he still has some it might also shore up a state that now looks light pink, not deep red.

He is apparently not waiting for the convention any longer. Looks like the pick will be out this week.
If Georgia is in play at all, then Trump is finished. Newt would be the best choice, IMO, for the VP slot. Since nobody seems to like either Hillary or Trump, likeability does not seem to come into play this election. Newt would help shore up the conservative base, which Trump needs to turn out in groves to win this election.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
If Georgia is in play at all, then Trump is finished. Newt would be the best choice, IMO, for the VP slot. Since nobody seems to like either Hillary or Trump, likeability does not seem to come into play this election. Newt would help shore up the conservative base, which Trump needs to turn out in groves to win this election.
I like Newt Gingrich as one of the team, he might be Trump's pick for VP but I think he would have twice the legs as chief of staff. I could be very wrong but I think he will select younger as consideration two, with sharp politician as consideration one. Both considerations being met plus Trump has to actually like his VP pick, we will find out this month.
fast4522 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #11
johnhannibalsmith

I like Newt and I don't know why. I really don't agree with him on much but if I had to pick a guy from the usual cast of clowns to be my surrogate debating and clarifying and fighting for me, he's about as good as you can hope for usually. He's a pretty sharp guy and not the worst politician to blow through Washington in terms of statesman type qualities.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #12
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
I like Newt and I don't know why...
Newt is brilliant, but he has a lot of baggage and he's hated by the left. You don't need two suitcases full of crap. One is enough.

Giuliani would be my choice, and he would help immensely with New York, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

[I don't think Giuliani would take it if offered though.]
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #13
fast4522

Relax guys, he will piss in your cornflakes when the time is right.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #14
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32
Newt is brilliant, but he has a lot of baggage and he's hated by the left. You don't need two suitcases full of crap. One is enough.

Giuliani would be my choice, and he would help immensely with New York, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

[I don't think Giuliani would take it if offered though.]
Of course Giuliani would be your choice. He would be a disaster for Trump. An ultra conservative is what Trump needs. People need to get off of this Trump can win with a moderate or liberal Republican as his VP. He can't. Newt is his best bet among the people being considered. Hillary has a lot of baggage and that does not seem to bother the left. The conservatives won't be discouraged by Newt in the least.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #15
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
Of course Giuliani would be your choice. He would be a disaster for Trump. An ultra conservative is what Trump needs. People need to get off of this Trump can win with a moderate or liberal Republican as his VP. He can't. Newt is his best bet among the people being considered. Hillary has a lot of baggage and that does not seem to bother the left. The conservatives won't be discouraged by Newt in the least.
I doubt Giuliani, Trump does not cotton to gents who bend the elbow. I am more curious who will be the second lady, not that is what is under consideration.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: