Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:52 AM   #31
SandyW

Julie Krone 149 cm ( 4 ft 10.5 in)

Julie Krone born on July , 24 1963 at Benton Harbour,Michigan is a retired American jockey.Krone is America's shortest jockey ever. In 1993, she became the first female jockey to win a Triple Crown race when she captured the Belmont Stakes aboard Colonial Affair. In 2000 she became the first woman inducted into the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame.

Last edited by SandyW; 03-25-2016 at 06:57 AM.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #32
Bennie

Can't find his actual height but one of the taller jocks has to be Stewart Elliot. I remember thinking how funny he looked riding Smarty Jones. Almost like his feet could touch the ground if he took them out of the stirrups.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #33
Knowclew

Among the tallest has to be R.A. Cowboy Jones.
Knowclew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #34
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowclew
Among the tallest has to be R.A. Cowboy Jones.
Humorously, in a book about him, Jones claims to have lost 7 inches in height during his racing career from injuries and crouching in the saddle. Okay.

Tallest jockey I've seen in recent years would be Mike McCarthy, who I believe was 5 foot 9. He could ride too.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #35
DSB

Shortest I can remember was an old Narragansett jockey named James Allan. He was what I think is termed a "dwarf." When he stood next to a horse, he looked about 3 feet tall. I remember seeing him at 'gansett around 1973.

Tallest could be Kelly Castaneda. He looked like a stick and was taller than many of the trainers who gave him a leg up.

Mike McCarthy might have been tall but his son, Trevor, can just about look me in the eye, and I'm 6'.
DSB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply