Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastie
how about if they opened the track to women only all morning before the races and gave them 2 for 1 drinks, then let the men in after the double.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
See my prior post.

Women are NEVER that stupid. Seriously, never!
You guys weren't around during the Disco era? The Disco's did this when I was strapping young man who was only old enough to drink 3.2 beer in the mid to late 70's. This was also a regular event on Campus at Ohio State in the late 70's and early 80's. The "Ladies Night" events started at anywhere from 8p to 9p and men couldn't enter until 10p. The ladies got 2 for 1 drinks for a raucous head start. Sometimes there would be chip and dale style dancers entertaining the ladies for the first hour while the men waited outside. It was a different era............for sure...........but it was fun.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #17
Pell Mell
Veteran

Sometimes it's better to be bombed. I've got an old buddy that is a terrible handicapper and is also usually half shit faced by the 4th race. Some yrs ago we were at Freehold and he boxed a tri at PP. After the race he threw his ticket on the table and chalked it up as another loser. I happened to look at the ticket and noticed it was for a race at the meadowlands. Needless to say it was a winner to the tune of 15 grand. After that it was beer for everyone!
Pell Mell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #18
Grits

I assure you, this "guy" knows plenty about the disco era. More than I care to share, actually. Matter of fact, I could seriously discuss Motown with you as well. I celebrated birthday #so&so, yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
You guys weren't around during the Disco era? The Disco's did this when I was strapping young man who was only old enough to drink 3.2 beer in the mid to late 70's. This was also a regular event on Campus at Ohio State in the late 70's and early 80's. The "Ladies Night" events started at anywhere from 8p to 9p and men couldn't enter until 10p. The ladies got 2 for 1 drinks for a raucous head start. Sometimes there would be chip and dale style dancers entertaining the ladies for the first hour while the men waited outside. It was a different era............for sure...........but it was fun.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #19
harnesslover
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by point given
Surely you jest, 2 for 1 will not increase the likelyhood of having more on track customers drunk when they leave? Back to the cave, knuckle dragger.
I know I am leaving the track drunk on Sat night when beers are $3.25..If they are 2 for $3.25, I will probably be drunker.

Point is I don't go there saying oh, let me drink sensibly, wait a minute, 2 for 1, I'm getting shitfaced..

I am prepared to get loaded and my wife knows she's driving. 2 for one is just a plus..
harnesslover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #20
dutchboy
Veteran

I did read an article several years ago in regard to Japanese or Hong Kong racetracks. The tracks put all of their marketing dollars in to attracting the young female office workers. The men will go where the women are. Best guess is this was 10 years ago.
dutchboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harnesslover
I know I am leaving the track drunk on Sat night when beers are $3.25..If they are 2 for $3.25, I will probably be drunker.

Point is I don't go there saying oh, let me drink sensibly, wait a minute, 2 for 1, I'm getting shitfaced..

I am prepared to get loaded and my wife knows she's driving. 2 for one is just a plus..

You fit the pro drinker mold. You only have to get to .12 on a regular basis to be considered a pro. Most are between .12 and .40 That's 6 beers depending on your weight. You probably would do near to 6 even if they aren't two for one. You use the wife to take the "threat" out of it. But you get the point.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #22
TEJAS KIDD

Retama Park and Lone Star Park have 50cent days (no, the rapper doesn't put on a concert). 50 cent hot dogs, beer, sodaa,and free admission. All it does is pad the attendance, as these types don't really increase handle.

What they should have charity days. A percentage of the handle goes to charities and losing tickets on these days could be considered charitible tax write offs.
TEJAS KIDD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #23
NY BRED
GARY

YANKEE STADIUM

[ The Yankees are charging $300 for two of their best seats and the place was packed every game last season. There are a lot of other factors at work.

fYI.. Skybox seats (pre series) was quoted at 50k per game

(enough to buy a decent claimer)
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #24
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
You have to be careful not to underestimate management's plan, and their thinking with this offering.

They know, so, therefore, they hope: The more beer you drink, the dumber you will get; consequently, making more mistakes in your handicapping and your wagering.

The track's pools will be greater, courtesy of your impairment.

It's never wise to consume many beers when betting on horses. The term, tap readily comes to mind in more ways than one.

The 2-for-1s are a good PASS.
You're absolutely correct. One beer at the track, I get a little more daring with my wagers. Two beers, I start betting horses I know I shouldn't, and throwing more money on them. Anything after that, there's no way I'm walking out in the "plus" column.

Actually, even though the thought of 2-for-1 beers got me excited when I read it, I make it a hard and fast rule never to drink at the track anymore, for the reasons I just described. Even more costlier than stupid betting would be a DUI conviction.

Doc
Old 11-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #25
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
When I was in college (ASU) there was a bar called Dooley's that was within walking distance of my apartment. Wed night was 10 cent beer night. They usually had good live music and PACKED the place. I've often thought tracks could learn a lot from that type of marketing.

-jp

Old 11-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #26
Kelso
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by harnesslover
If you're gonna get drunk, you're gonna get drunk.. Won't take a 2 for 1 deal to get there.
Uhh, sure. Just ask the suits in the Cleveland Indians organization.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 11:50 PM   #27
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Philly Park offers free admission and parking, the program's cheap, and business is in the toilet.

Any other ideas? How about Hooters girls as pari-mutuel clerks? Gives new meaning to the term "hot tips" !!

Yes, the problem with racing is neither track specific or authorizing state specific, it is industry specific.

Until this industry is organized into a single body and operate like a for profit entity and not as state racing franchises to raise money for special projects (e.g. education, the elderly, etc) this industry will continue to sink into the political hacks toilets.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 11:54 PM   #28
njcurveball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEJAS KIDD
Retama Park and Lone Star Park have 50cent days (no, the rapper doesn't put on a concert). 50 cent hot dogs, beer, sodaa,and free admission. All it does is pad the attendance, as these types don't really increase handle.

This is someone who knows racing!

They use to have some pretty good giveaways at ACRC. The attendance went up, the handle stayed about the same.

Many people would pay their $2 and get a cooler. Then go to their car, come back, pay another $2 and get another cooler. Same with hats or t-shirts, blankets, whatever.

A racetrack is not an impulse attraction for most people. Management would be much smarter rewarding their regular customers.

Now here is a very simple way to do it. On the last day of the meet, hold a "free" handicapping tournament. The track should put up $10,000 and whatever goodies it can find. An entry into the big tourneys in Vegas is also preferred.

How do you get a free entry? You win the daily tourney which is also free.

Run it with any format you like, just include the first and last races in it and you have some loyal customers coming through the turnstyles.

Think this won't increase handle? Any regular who stays up all night cappng the card is going to bet real money on those races. And sure it will attract some "tourists" as well. As long as the format isn't an "all in" one, the regulars should have a big advantage on them.
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2007, 01:35 AM   #29
gIracing

oaklawn has 10 cent corn dogs the first week and 10 cent drinks, 50 cent beers. not a bad deal.

anyway, this goes tos how how indept marketing in horse racing is.

every guy here knows, if you are trying to get a bunch of GUYS to go to an event what do you do?

HAVE A LADIES NIGHT!!!

let women in free, give them a free purse or some crap and 10 dollars woth of betting volcuhers and free programs, and you will have more men at a race track then you have ever seen other than derby day.
gIracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2007, 01:39 AM   #30
Bruddah
Veteran

Oaklawn Park has been doing this for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P
When I was in college (ASU) there was a bar called Dooley's that was within walking distance of my apartment. Wed night was 10 cent beer night. They usually had good live music and PACKED the place. I've often thought tracks could learn a lot from that type of marketing.

-jp

Since the mid 60's Oaklawn has promoted different events, including cheaper beer for years. All geared for the 15 or so small colleges in the state. I remember for several years, they held intramural basketball tournaments in the infield. The young college coeds come by the scores to meet guys and visa versa. It did swell the attendance numbers but also dropped the average bet size based on attendance. However, it consistently created new loyal patrons.

The Spring Break festivities at Oaklawn have created many new Horse Players over the years. I should know because, I attended my first race there, in 1965, as an 18 year old freshman. I even learned to handicap and read the DRF before my junior year. Well actually, I am still learning.

Last edited by Bruddah; 11-19-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply