Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-04-2022, 10:13 AM   #16
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

You are correct on both points.

But aren't you essentially saying that most viewers would do themselves a favor to ignore Maggie and Gabby, because most viewers are like me and don't really know much about physical interpretations? They're just relying on someone's expertise, and the current crop certainly makes it fun and entertaining. The original post queried about "the most important information" and I happen to be in the group that disagrees. That's all.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #17
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
You are correct on both points.

But aren't you essentially saying that most viewers would do themselves a favor to ignore Maggie and Gabby, because most viewers are like me and don't really know much about physical interpretations? They're just relying on someone's expertise, and the current crop certainly makes it fun and entertaining. The original post queried about "the most important information" and I happen to be in the group that disagrees. That's all.
The info that Maggie and Gabby bring to the table is priceless. " I noticed during the warmup the number 6 horse seemed to slightly be limping and his gate was off." This may sound a bit extreme but things they have brought up have not been far off. What professional or non professional capper would not take this information into consideration ?
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2022, 11:00 AM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

It's not that anyone is "changing on the fly" as making the betting drcision.
I'm going into a race with several options, waiting to see the odds, get the paddock information, then decide the bet. A horse I like last night at 4-1 ml is now 8-5 and Maggie says he dosen't look good, yeah, that is not my bet. Another at 10-1 ml is now 6-1 and Maggie says this has nevr looked better.....

The process is not over until you make the bet.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:20 AM   #19
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
The info that Maggie and Gabby bring to the table is priceless. " I noticed during the warmup the number 6 horse seemed to slightly be limping and his gate was off." This may sound a bit extreme but things they have brought up have not been far off. What professional or non professional capper would not take this information into consideration ?
Are the "whales" often mentioned here still holed up in their headquarters, merely looking at the whole process quantifiably and with the law of large numbers in place, ala Benter/Woods? Do they have a quantifiable/algorithmic method for incorporating what Maggie describes 15 minutes before post?
Old 08-04-2022, 11:51 AM   #20
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
I have been told at least some of the whale teams are paying observers for physicality information.

And yes, they do have quantifiable algorithmic methods for incorporating physicality observations.

Interesting sidebar:

I have been told the observers are compartmentalized.

All communication is supposed to be one way. The observer's job to simply submit physicality observations and nothing else.

The system is designed so that the observers have no way of knowing who the other observers are, how to contact team members they don't have a need to know, or whether or not their physicality observations are actually used in the team's fundamental model.

This is done to make it difficult for team members and observers to go out and form a new team on their own while taking other team members, source code, and/or the team's fundamental model, etc. with them.

Which apparently, has actually happened a few times.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-04-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Jeff P is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2022, 12:48 PM   #21
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
Are the "whales" often mentioned here still holed up in their headquarters, merely looking at the whole process quantifiably and with the law of large numbers in place, ala Benter/Woods? Do they have a quantifiable/algorithmic method for incorporating what Maggie describes 15 minutes before post?
Those guys get information from all the top stables, vets, and whoever else can give them an edge.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2022, 12:55 PM   #22
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I have been told at least some of the whale teams are paying observers for physicality information.

And yes, they do have quantifiable algorithmic methods for incorporating physicality observations.

Interesting sidebar:

All communication is supposed to be one way. The observer's job to simply submit physicality observations and nothing else.

The system is designed so that the observers have no way of knowing who the other observers are, how to contact team members they don't have a need to know, or whether or not their physicality observations are actually used in the team's fundamental model.

This is done to make it difficult for team members and observers to go out and form a new team on their own while taking other team members, source code, and/or the team's fundamental model, etc. with them.

-jp

Thanks Jeff.
If whales aren't looking for inefficiencies underneath higher percentage winners, they should be. I just find it difficult to downgrade the #6 in Delaware's just completed opener for instance, with second last odds ranking, whom I assigned a 40% chance to run third based upon race dynamics (early pace factor compromised top 4 rivals, even if one emerged victorious), on something a physicality expert may say about her vis-à-vis inner race dynamics.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:10 PM   #23
CBYRacer

Quote:

Interesting sidebar:

-jp

This is interesting, though I'm skeptical to what extent they can presently (and reliably) integrate qualitative paddock observations with their fundamental models.

First, there would probably be significant variability in terms of how individual observers rate horses across the physicality dimensions.

Second, you can't buy historical datasets so you need to build these observational datasets ground-up which would take time.

Third, I'm not convinced that the "average" signal from any one of these physicality dimensions is particularly powerful as behavior can vary quite dramatically across horses such that even with a large sample the average impact of a particular dimension may be compressed.

Anecdotally, I've tried (albeit on a small-scale) to manually gather some of the typical physicality info for dozens of races at my local track and then incorporate them into my model. They just don't seem to pop from a significance standpoint. Obviously, it could be that I'm just not a good paddock-person.
CBYRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2022, 01:14 PM   #24
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Those guys get information from all the top stables, vets, and whoever else can give them an edge.
What's in it for those other parties? Why would they provide this info?
Old 08-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #25
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBYRacer View Post
What's in it for those other parties? Why would they provide this info?
$$$$$$$

Some of those guys meet with Racing Execs on a regular basis. I doubt all they're asking for is another quarter point rebate. It's about access
Old 08-04-2022, 01:30 PM   #26
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
It's not that anyone is "changing on the fly" as making the betting drcision.
I'm going into a race with several options, waiting to see the odds, get the paddock information, then decide the bet. A horse I like last night at 4-1 ml is now 8-5 and Maggie says he dosen't look good, yeah, that is not my bet. Another at 10-1 ml is now 6-1 and Maggie says this has nevr looked better.....

The process is not over until you make the bet.
Excellent example. I spent a day at Keeneland with “Purple Power” (that’s an oldie but a goody) and he basically gave me a class on watching the horses in the paddock, for just about every race that day. It changed my outlook big time.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:32 PM   #27
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
$$$$$$$

Some of those guys meet with Racing Execs on a regular basis. I doubt all they're asking for is another quarter point rebate. It's about access
I guess I'm imagining these whales as more quant-geek...Ingenious and above board. For what it's worth, I consider rebate negotiation above board.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #28
Andy Asaro

Quote:
I guess I'm imagining these whales as more quant-geek...Ingenious and above board. For what it's worth, I consider rebate negotiation above board.
They're teams so ...
Old 08-04-2022, 02:30 PM   #29
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
First, there would probably be significant variability in terms of how individual observers rate horses across the physicality dimensions.
I not only agree but suspect the team leads are well aware of this.

I think they are able to work around this by employing multiple observers who collectively make a lot of observations over the course of a meet.

If I were modeling horse physicality myself I would create three columns in a database table:

phys01 value=ObserverId (a number unique for each observer.)

phys02 value=0 for horses where no physicality observation was made. Value=1 for horses where a physicality observation was made.

phys03 value=0 for horses where no physicality observation was made. Value=Some_Number (a physicality score created by the observer making the observation.)

From there, once you've gathered observations from multiple observers for a meet or two, it shouldn't be difficult to perform significance testing by running the observations data through a stat package.

If the observations of an individual observer aren't statistically significant after a couple of meets, or have far less significance than those of the other observers:

You'll know. At which point you can decide to cut that observer loose.

But if the observations of an individual observer are statistically significant or consistently better than those of the other observers:

You'll know that too. At which point you can implement that observer's work in your model. And possibly make that observer an offer he or she isn't likely to refuse.

Quote:
Second, you can't buy historical datasets so you need to build these observational datasets ground-up which would take time.
Agree here as well.

But if you do find an observer who provides statistically significant insight:

Now you have information not readily available to others.

From there, you should be able give your model a leg up over the competition.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-04-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Jeff P is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2022, 02:40 PM   #30
CBYRacer

Quote:
I not only agree but suspect the team leads are well aware of this.

I think they are able to work around this by employing multiple observers who collectively make a lot of observations over the course of a meet.

If I were modeling horse physicality myself I would create three columns in a database table:

phys01 value=ObserverId (a number unique for each observer.)

phys02 value=0 for horses where no physicality observation was made. Value=1 for horses where a physicality observation was made.

phys03 value=0 for horses where no physicality observation was made. Value=Some_Number (a physicality score created by the observer making the observation.)

From there, once you've gathered observations from multiple observers for a meet or two, it shouldn't be difficult to perform significance testing by running the observations data through a stat package.

If the observations of an individual observer aren't statistically significant after a couple of meets, or have far less significance than those of the other observers:

You'll know. At which point you can decide to cut that observer loose.

But if the observations of an individual observer are statistically significant or consistently better than those of the other observers:

You'll know that too. At which point you can implement that observer's work in your model. And possibly make that observer an offer he or she isn't likely to refuse.

Agree here as well.

But if you do find an observer who provides statistically significant insight:

Now you have information not readily available to others.

From there, you should be able give your model a leg up over the competition.

-jp

Makes a lot of sense, Jeff! Good response.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: