Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-07-2022, 05:16 PM   #31
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
In no way do I think it was a fixed race. There is no way a jockey would be that stupid, at least outside of Louisiana. But I don't see how the stewards can't discipline him for that ride, even in the lax USA.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:24 PM   #32
the little guy

I just watched it again. It certainly wasn't showboating. I can't think of a single incident when Jose Lezcano could be accused of that. He's an extremely low key guy. Other than that, Jose looked inside a bit, not exactly sure why, but at the top of the stretch he seemed to be looking to see what Cancel was doing on the 3. Once he realized there was nothing he could do, he rode normally. I have no idea how this has become some massive story.

Sorry, but more frivolous Twitter hysteria to me. I am glad the Stewards spoke to him and plan to go over it again. I'm all for as much of that as possible.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2022, 06:05 PM   #33
affirmedny

Looks to me that the rider of the got a little too close to him with the whip(1st 2 looks), then the crossed over a little in front of the and Jose looked back at the .
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2022, 06:15 PM   #34
Andy Asaro

At The Races
@AtTheRaces

Digital partner of Sky Sports Racing and horse racing’s best website for form and tips. Watch our Cheltenham Preview on YouTube here: http://a-t-r.com/3vHm5dn

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2022, 06:23 PM   #35
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Isn't "showboating" in racing when you're ahead by a few lengths and you start celebrating early, or you stop riding thinking you've got it in the bag, only to get nailed at the wire?

This was nothing like showboating.

twitter gets dumber by the minute
Old 03-07-2022, 06:24 PM   #36
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Isn't "showboating" in racing when you're ahead by a few lengths and you start celebrating early, or you stop riding thinking you've got it in the bag, only to get nailed at the wire?

This was nothing like showboating.

twitter gets dumber by the minute
Getting triggered by twitter gets dumber by the minute
Old 03-07-2022, 06:24 PM   #37
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny View Post
Looks to me that the rider of the got a little too close to him with the whip(1st 2 looks), then the crossed over a little in front of the and Jose looked back at the .
That could be it.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:25 PM   #38
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Getting triggered by twitter gets dumber by the minute
slow day at the office?
Old 03-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #39
Andy Asaro

Aqueduct Stewards to Meet with Jockey Lezcano March 11
Will discuss ride on second-place finisher Foxtail in March 6 first race.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac..._medium=social

Excerpt:

In the equibase.com chart of the race, it reported that Foxtail "stalked outside the leading duo under stout restraint" and then "took the advantage while the rider took five more looks to the inside into upper stretch." The footnote went on to report Foxtail "was asked while surprised by the presence of the winner to her outside at the three-sixteenths then lost the advantage, kept on under a drive while fighting inside that foe in the final furlong and just missed while well clear for the place."

A call to Lezcano's agent, Jason Beides, about the incident was not returned
Old 03-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #40
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny View Post
I think you're right.

I suspect that as a result of looking back Lezcano's attention was diverted elsewhere and he was late to realize Trevor McCarthy and Indian Bella were a serious threat.

Instead of looking back, if Lezcano had simply asked his mount for serious run earlier in the stretch I think this is a race he likely could have won.

I'm thinking this really belongs in the 'human error' category.

I don't ride race horses.

But I've certainly made my own share of blunders over the years that belong in the 'human error' category, so I'm willing to cut Jose Lezcano some slack.

Turn the page.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 03-07-2022 at 06:56 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2022, 07:42 PM   #41
Spalding No!

Foxtail was traveling awkwardly around the far turn on the improper lead; such horses tend to bear out or even blow the turn (see Maximum Security in the 2019 KY Derby). It appears Lezcano had a hard hold on the left rein (the horse's head is cocked to the left), presumably to keep the mare from getting out. It's plausible he was keeping an eye on the inside in case he ended up overcorrecting as they straightened, causing the mare to duck inwards.

Previously, the horse failed to switch leads in her last two starts and in her last win she drifted in and then out in the stretch while desperately holding on. Lezcano rode her in all those races.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2022, 07:55 PM   #42
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You sir, are a national treasure here.

Always informative, always pleasant, never any name calling (that I can remember ), never lose your cool....unlike me, who is guilty of all these things (except being always informative).

Anyway, thanks for sticking around all these years...sincerely....
Old 03-07-2022, 08:36 PM   #43
Hambletonian

It was a dumb overconfident ride and he probably cost his horse a placing. Watch enough races and you will see similar time and time again where a rider gets a little too confident and pays a price.

He knew he had the leaders measured but failed to consider someone coming up on the outside. And the optics, geez louise, how many times you gotta look back and see the same exact thing?

Unless the horse was off and he was afraid there would be an incident, well, it just looks terrible. Bettors and owners pay a price and life goes on. Hopefully he will get some days to reflect on his sins.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2022, 09:05 PM   #44
the little guy

I think people need to take a good look at Foxtail's pps before creating unrealistic expectations. Granted this was a very soft field but she is extraordinarily unreliable, to be kind. She's not a push button horse to say the least.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #45
classhandicapper

If he had some legitimate reason to look inside, so be it, but the horse finished well once he asked and he asked way too late because he was so busy looking inside he didn't see what was happening outside.

I almost never criticize riders. I'd be afraid to do what they do, let alone be able make correct split second decisions under that pressure all the time. But IMO that was a bad ride. They all have occasional bad rides. Turn the page. There will be plenty more to talk about.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-08-2022 at 09:55 AM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply