Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-23-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
Andy Asaro

California's top racing vet is charged with violating state regulation

Excerpt:

The Los Angeles Times first reported the accusation against Blea.

Eight causes for discipline against Blea were outlined in the accusation:

Negligence in prescribing, dispensing and administering drugs without first performing an examination;

Dispensing dangerous drugs without medical necessity;

Failure to establish veterinarian-client patient relationship;

Recordkeeping violations;

Misbranded drugs;

Possession or use of prohibited drugs;

Failure to provide required drug consultation;

Failure to comply with required standards for administering general anesthesia.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
Andy Asaro

Old 12-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

I've been saying for years that they need to go after Baker. Took long enough. If Baker gets his license revoked, which will more likely happen, then watch snit really hit the fan.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:58 AM   #4
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I was looking at the HISA webpage because of the No Deal! topic posted below, and this Blea guy is on the Anti-Doping and Medication Control Standing Committee.

Clipped from the site:
Quote:
Members of the board of directors and standing committees underwent a comprehensive screening process, and the members of the board of directors and any independent member of a standing committee are subject to HISA’s strict conflict of interest restrictions to ensure the Authority’s independence and integrity.
You don't say.
rastajenk is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Has anyone read the 73 page formal complaint on Baker from the CVMB site? I would be immensely-shocked, if he is able to keep both his practicing and premise license after this. I know of veterinarians that were totally revoked of their license for much lesser things. That is one thing that is at least on our side is that the CVMB doesn't mess around. Hopefully, Blea will get axed, too.

I worked for a veterinarian that was "questionable" on all spectrums, and it was basically his bedside manners that would constantly get him in-trouble with the CVMB. He'd piss-off the wrong clients that would file action against him through the veterinary medical board. In the 13 years I worked for him, he had at least one or two complaints every year for his behavior alone. The case outcome on the animals always ruled in his favor. If the pet didn't get better, then the client would question what to do, he had no idea how to explain things without being condescending, and it caused a major headache. I'm glad those days are over.
Old 12-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #6
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
Has anyone read the 73 page formal complaint on Baker from the CVMB site? I would be immensely-shocked, if he is able to keep both his practicing and premise license after this. I know of veterinarians that were totally revoked of their license for much lesser things. That is one thing that is at least on our side is that the CVMB doesn't mess around. Hopefully, Blea will get axed, too.

I worked for a veterinarian that was "questionable" on all spectrums, and it was basically his bedside manners that would constantly get him in-trouble with the CVMB. He'd piss-off the wrong clients that would file action against him through the veterinary medical board. In the 13 years I worked for him, he had at least one or two complaints every year for his behavior alone. The case outcome on the animals always ruled in his favor. If the pet didn't get better, then the client would question what to do, he had no idea how to explain things without being condescending, and it caused a major headache. I'm glad those days are over.
One of Bakers clients is....... BB
Old 12-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #7
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
One of Bakers clients is....... BB
Yep. Well-aware. When Baker goes, then I'm sure you will see changes with Baffert's win percentage, too. Only way Baffert is having access to things is through a vet, and an unscrupulous one at that.
Old 12-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #8
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
Yep. Well-aware. When Baker goes, then I'm sure you will see changes with Baffert's win percentage, too. Only way Baffert is having access to things is through a vet, and an unscrupulous one at that.
A lot of these guys have two vets. Not sure if Baker is the PM vet
Old 12-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #9
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Quote:
A lot of these guys have two vets. Not sure if Baker is the PM vet
He is BB's PM vet, as well as Lukas' full-time veterinarian back in his heyday when he stabled at Santa Anita. He was the official "personal veterinarian" to American Pharoah, too. Things that make you go hmmmm....

On a side note, I found out Blea is [was] doing some of the tests on Medina Spirit's necropsy, so I would be skeptical on his findings. It'll be interesting what everything shows up as mid-February.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:44 AM   #10
Andy Asaro

Old 01-06-2022, 12:39 PM   #11
Andy Asaro

Old 01-07-2022, 02:30 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

What will come first, this investigation actually starts or the KHRC makes a decision on the Derby?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2022, 09:42 PM   #13
GMB@BP

Quote:
You can get your license suspended because someone does not want you to be involved? That is kind of scary. Not sure what these alegations stem from, what horse is this related to?

Blea was the only one of the three charged who does not directly offer veterinary services to horses but was the only one the VMB wanted to have an emergency hearing to determine if his license should be suspended. The other veterinarians, Vince Baker and Sarah Graybill Jones, did not have an emergency license hearing and retained their licenses pending a formal hearing.

Last edited by GMB@BP; 01-07-2022 at 09:48 PM.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2022, 06:14 AM   #14
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
You can get your license suspended because someone does not want you to be involved? That is kind of scary. Not sure what these alegations stem from, what horse is this related to?

Blea was the only one of the three charged who does not directly offer veterinary services to horses but was the only one the VMB wanted to have an emergency hearing to determine if his license should be suspended. The other veterinarians, Vince Baker and Sarah Graybill Jones, did not have an emergency license hearing and retained their licenses pending a formal hearing.
I wonder if there's more going on behind the scenes. I guess we'll find out sooner or later
Old 01-08-2022, 02:19 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

A lot more here:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...-head-out-west
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: